House Price Crash Forum

Profit Warning From Game Group

OnlyMe

HOLA441

5000? ,about a weeks time then when the markets figure out just what China tightening means.This next 3 months is the crux of this crisis IMO.A big double dip with no liquidity left to throw at it.

I hope you're right.

My gut feeling has always been that we will test the low we had last july. I'd rather increase my positions at them prices than current ones.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442

In Game I saw this priced at 49.99 but Asda had it for sale at 38.74 from memory.

Forget financial armageddon this is more likely to be the reason for their profits warning. Competition including online retailers? Or total economic collapse and the destruction of Great Britain?

Really very simple when you have an open mind :P

HOLA443
HOLA444

Typical hpc thread. One particular company posts a profit warning thus we face financial aremaggedon. Taking the retail sector as a whole it seems to have done very well thanks very much through Christmas. But hey don't let the good news get in the way of a snippet of bad, that just wouldn't be hpc would it?

PS: Anybody posted the news about Blacks?

Maybe you are right - saved by Subo and Harry Potter.

Still think is that all that has happened is that the big stores have grabbed just a little bit more of the market + inflation resulting in very little growth at all and contraction elsewhere (apart from online). This with the biggest financial bailout ever, and none of the bill to pay for it hitting the mat, which it will, after the election.

http://blogs.news.sky.com/cityblog/Post:38ccd66c-33b6-4939-8025-b64d4860705a

Have We Got Our Shopping Mojo Back?

Dharshini David January 12, 2010 8:38 AM

* Recommend post (0)

Who'd have thought SuBo and Harry Potter would've joined forces to save the economy?

HOLA445

The vast majority of "modern" games are a load of crap nowadays, whereby developers cover over any flaws in the game, by plastering it with graphics, so it looks "cool". They used to do that with the Mega CD, and it was still shite. I'd rather have a SNES any day of the week. Kidults are realising this (a massive part of the market), and that's why the retro scene is booming.

Edited by zagreb78

HOLA446
HOLA447

Typical hpc thread. One particular company posts a profit warning thus we face financial aremaggedon. Taking the retail sector as a whole it seems to have done very well thanks very much through Christmas. But hey don't let the good news get in the way of a snippet of bad, that just wouldn't be hpc would it?

PS: Anybody posted the news about Blacks?

They're only doing well cos of all the tin foil hatters buying tents, camping stoves, water purification tabs, etc ;)

HOLA448

The wifes nephew has been with us going on a year now. Has no money, no prospect of any so we feed and clothe him for zilch. He plays games continually from when he gets up to bedtime (3 am). We are at our wits end. I was talking to another guy at the weekend who has the same problem with his son. They just sit on the bed, hoodies pulled over their face-continually. They have no social skills whatsoever-just silence most of the time. I know there are a lot of people who play games whilst holding down a job but trust me there are a lot of kids like my nephew. Anybody have a suggestion. B TW this is in the US-no benefits for life here matey.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

The wifes nephew has been with us going on a year now. Has no money, no prospect of any so we feed and clothe him for zilch. He plays games continually from when he gets up to bedtime (3 am). We are at our wits end. I was talking to another guy at the weekend who has the same problem with his son. They just sit on the bed, hoodies pulled over their face-continually. They have no social skills whatsoever-just silence most of the time. I know there are a lot of people who play games whilst holding down a job but trust me there are a lot of kids like my nephew. Anybody have a suggestion. B TW this is in the US-no benefits for life here matey.

Lower rents and houseprices. Give the young a chance of a future.

HOLA4412

Take his console away. it's not rocket science.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Competition and nature for the games market also. With big supermarkets stocking the top 10 say games at reduced prices all year round and box-shifting the consoles and accessories + online price competition they are left scrambling for the high-street scraps and all the high rents to carry.

Game cannot compete with the Supermarkets who often sell these games at a loss, and as I understand it most of Game's money is made from the sale of traded-in games.

Perhaps people are hanging on their old games longer and therefore stifling the supply of trade-ins?

HOLA4415

Does anyone on this forum play games consoles? If not, then its unlikely that you know how many great games came out over the past 12 months - or not as the case may be.

Cyclical industry. Buy low, sell high. Is under £1 cheap?

Anyone seen the consoles due to be launched H2 2010? Mind blowing B) - they connect to your brain along with 3D televission - no controller, moves by the power of thought. Thats not a wind-up, I read about it. Do you think people are going to go for it?

HOLA4416

He will be okay, trust me.

Nowadays the kids who sit at home playing video games are turning out better than the chavvy kids who go loiter outside McDonalds with bottles of cheap cider trying to start fights with everyone. Why would he want to go out? It's not safe out there, and the only things he'd enjoy doing have probably been banned. Any chance of employment is probably bordering on slave labor wages. Is there even a local skatepark for him and his buddies to go chill at?

I'm willing to bet he's playing xbox live with his buddies from school or the net who are in a similar situation.

As for the 3am stuff, it's easy to fall into that pattern when you have nothing to do. You don't feel tired. AM/PM don't matter anymore.

I did much the same thing at that age - still do love gaming, and I'm perfectly well adjusted with a partner, friends and career.

The best you can do for him is to try and nurture his interest. Know a family member/friend who wants a new computer? Get your nephew to research how to build it, recommend the parts, and put it together. Recommend he take classes in web design, remind him maths is how they design games. People who game do it for the thrill of winning, it takes a particular type of person to enjoy it as much as he does. This will be a passion of his for life however it manifests, so you may as well help him to develop some employable skills off the back of it.

But try and get him to exercise somehow occasionally..

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

That's zx spectrum league. Check out the 5th generation experience, slot the xbox inside and away you go!

frealdoll_mainpageimage.jpg

http://www.realdoll.com

You can't hide that while you're driving though, after 'doctoring' your satnav :P

Perhaps 'Game' should branch out & rebrand as 'On the Game'

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

HOLA4420

Not surprised really.

They have about 4 stores in this city, and every time I go in any of them to find something I want - Gamestation around the corner has it cheaper.

Yes, but the Game group own GameStation as well! So it's even more daft than it first appears... ever wondered why the bundles on new consoles are almost exactly the same between Game & GameStation?

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Is this the same blacks that closed 87 stores in late 2009 and had to renegotiate it's debts:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8451235.stm

But now it's been cold for a couple of weeks are doing so well they are now considering expansion... can anyone see what's wrong with this plan? :D

Or in other words what you do when you enter recession and what happens when we start coming out. I'll go for my call.

As I understood Blacks the model failed because they diversified into other retailing like surf wear. Sounds to me like the core business was sound.