House Price Crash Forum

Do You Believe In The Paranormal?

Guest AuntJess

HOLA441
Guest AuntJess
I suspect intuition might have more to do with the thoughts that we process in our unconscious states i.e. whilst sleeping. It's widely accepted that there are parts of the brain which do the quick thinking i.e. if I add 2+2 the answer is 4. There are are also parts of the brain which do slower background thinking on the bigger questions. The old adage "to sleep on it" when we have a big decision to make stems from the fact that we assimilate thoughts whilst we sleep, and as a result we'll often feel more able to make that decsion the morning after a good kip.

I suspect flashes of intuition are the results of this background thinking.

Just my twopenneth.

Yes, very likely that they are processed below conscious awareness, using processes we don't initiate consciously. For eg. I compute 2+2 = 4 by consciously using 'taught' methods.It is 'voluntary' processing.

Intuition isn't taught and is involuntary. it sorta comes to us - eureka - it is a kind of deep 'savvy' born of collections of observations etc. that we store and don't know we are doing it. There is also a kind of 'gut' reasoning - if that in't an oxy moron. :blink:

A lady I once worked with was a shrewd cookie. She told me to 'always go with your gut, as it won't let you down' and do you know... when I am savvy enough to use it - it hasn't. B)

Maybe it is all down to the 'collective unconscious' as Jung describes it. If only we would but tap into it.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
Guest AuntJess
Where this leads... before you were conceived "you" had no consciousness, nothing. And yet your consciousness came about and you obtained a priate view on the world. This place you were in before you were conceived is the same place of nothingness you will inhabit after you die.

However, since from this nothingness you hae obtained consciousness in your current life, the probability of becoming conscious is clearly non-zero. Given enough time, after "you" die, your will take on consciousness again and another private universe.

That "your" consciousness came from nothing once already means that reincarnation is a fact. The only question is what "you" come back as and when and in which universe..

I think Gordon B. is coming back as a slug - destined to be reviled by all and eaten by birds and hedgehogs.

I wanna come back as a tree. :D A big beautiful tree which can 'see' far and wide, and which humans will NOT cut down.

HOLA443
Guest AuntJess
I agree with this..I've also seen intuition go very badly wrong. Sorry to hark back to an earlier troll, but it does usually seem to be middle-aged women (and flamers) who think they know people better than they actually do.

So middle aged men aren't ever know-all and opinionated, then? :huh:

If intuition goes wrong - it isn't intuition, it is bad guess work.

HOLA444
Guest anorthosite
I think Gordon B. is coming back as a slug - destined to be reviled by all and eaten by birds and hedgehogs.

It'd be more ironic if he came back as a tennant of the Wilsons.

HOLA445
HOLA446
Intuition is summat that comes in 'flashes' - we don't KNOW why we feel summat we just do. I don't mean it is supernatural or that it can't be explained, however.

Intuition cannot be taught - unlike reasoning.

"Rational" is that which we reason out - step by step - and as such is seen as dissimilar...opposite to 'intuitive'.

We can only focus on one or two things at once. This doesn't mean to say that we aren't aware of what else is going on around us. For example, you may be asleep and focusing on your dreams but will be aware that the person moving around in bed next to you is your beloved partner. I see intuition as the sea of associations and expectations that we make about the world through experience yet aren't necessarily focusing on, or can consciously explain at the time.

People make decisions based on intuition and then rationally justify them after it has occurred to them. These seemingly irrational decisions come from experience and aren't irrational at all.

HOLA447
HOLA448
Guest AuntJess
We can only focus on one or two things at once. This doesn't mean to say that we aren't aware of what else is going on around us. For example, you may be asleep and focusing on your dreams but will be aware that the person moving around in bed next to you is your beloved partner. I see intuition as the sea of associations and expectations that we make about the world through experience yet aren't necessarily focusing on, or can consciously explain at the time.

People make decisions based on intuition and then rationally justify them after it has occurred to them. These seemingly irrational decisions come from experience and aren't irrational at all.

Yes, I think we sorta store observations 'in a pouch'/ below conscious awareness, and draw on them without being aware that we do it. This is how NVC 'reading' comes into therapy, where one can get insights into the client without knowing WHY or how you are doing it.

HOLA449
It would, of course, be churlish of me to point out that those who believed in Quantum Theory before it was 'proven' could be called, under your criteria, 'mildy mentally ill'.

No; or at least, not in the same way. They believed that they had spotted a new area of knowledge that the rest of mankind did not fully appreciate or understand, and set about trying to prove it using rational methods of scientific enquiry.

However, there are people who claim to have had personal experiences in their life that prove that someone spontaneously came back to life three days after being nailed up on a cross (as distinct from the much larger number of people who claim to hold that belief, or the similar ones associated with other religions, due to social, cultural or political conditioning). We have an overwhelming mass of objective, empirical evidence to show that this quite simply cannot happen. That's really the definition of faith: holding a belief which you feel has been proven to you to be true, when all the objective evidence says that it can't be.

Indeed the ability to think irrationally has lead to some of our greatest scientific discoveries.

Personally I'm sceptical about that: more likely, pushing the boundaries of rationally generated knowledge has achieved that. The inability to think rationally, as I'd prefer to call it, has, however, led to some very positive contributions to mankind. Mother Teresa, Gandhi and a whole load of other worthies made the world a richer place, largely as a result of their acting on irrationally held beliefs. But in themselves, such beliefs are not a sound or constructive basis for policymaking or running society.

HOLA4410

I don't believe in God/s,ghosts,spirits,psychics,mediums.However I did have an experience that I cannot explain.I had an "Uncle",not a relative but the sort that you call that when it's a parents close friend.He was 30years older than me and our attitudes were uncannily similar,as if our brains were wired the same way.

About 20 years ago I was at work and got violent chest pains,so strong that despite the fact I was only 37 I thought I was having a heart attack.They soon passed.About an hour later his wife called to tell me he had died of a heart attack while driving his car.It happened,as far as I could surmise,at the same time as I got the pains.

HOLA4411
I don't believe in God/s,ghosts,spirits,psychics,mediums.However I did have an experience that I cannot explain.I had an "Uncle",not a relative but the sort that you call that when it's a parents close friend.He was 30years older than me and our attitudes were uncannily similar,as if our brains were wired the same way.

About 20 years ago I was at work and got violent chest pains,so strong that despite the fact I was only 37 I thought I was having a heart attack.They soon passed.About an hour later his wife called to tell me he had died of a heart attack while driving his car.It happened,as far as I could surmise,at the same time as I got the pains.

Given the worlds population, number of uncles dying of heart attacks etc etc I suspect it shouldn't be a surprise when co-incidences like this happen! Just like many people who dreamt of the twin towers being hit before it happened. Odds are a far better explanation than the paranormal!

HOLA4412
I'm pretty shocked by this thread :o

I had no idea there'd be so many people here who believed in some of this nonsense.

It is our intelligence as human beings....snip......

That is the best post in this thread by far - agree with every word well said :).

I think it is wishful thinking and our lack of ability to accept that we are no more important (technically less important) than just about every other living creature on this planet that drives most of our supernatural belief systems. Nothing more, nothing less.

I am also surprised by the responses here but If there is one thing that I think can be said with certainty, there is little to no correlation between levels of intelligence and supernatural belief, and this thread proves it!

HOLA4413
Is flowing water that bad? I usually find a good atmosphere by them, but I suppose I have never lived right on a stream or river.

The Key word you missed was flowing "underground" = negative charge!

Cats seek out negative places to settle/sleep - Dogs positive!

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Ok I will open the batting :D I believe in some mediums: met people with astonishing abilities in this area, but not sure if they are merely clairvoyant or psychic - 'reading' my thoughts instead of communing with the spirits.

I believe in a sixth sense - precognition and intuition - as I have experienced them. In younger days, my close friends had me pegged as psychic. I used to know when they would call or if they were in trouble. I think everyone has these tendencies but in some it is more developed than others. I think one can develop them more by learning to 'tune in' to people.

I thnk animals have a sixth sense. I still 'do it' today, but it isn't an 'all the time' thing. It comes and goes. I don't tell people who I know who aren't close mates: This forum does not count as I am anonymous :lol: Close mates I don't need to tell - they find out.

Oh for forks ache!

Why are birds so f*ckin numb?

Which sex goes out and buys £100+ anti ageing cream walking passed old looking people on the way (if it worked no one would look old)

Animals have a sixth sense do they? so why dont zebras know that in the longish grass is a pride of lions looking at them like they a big old tin of Whyskers?

I have a pragmatic view on things and have not entered any of the anti women threads on here (of many lately) but ask any medium any tarrot card reader etc and its 90% of HIS customers are daft dippy birds

HOLA4416
Oh for forks ache!

Which sex goes out and buys £100+ anti ageing cream walking passed old looking people on the way (if it worked no one would look old)

Animals have a sixth sense do they? so why dont zebras know that in the longish grass is a pride of lions looking at them like they a big old tin of Whyskers?

I have a pragmatic view on things and have not entered any of the anti women threads on here (of many lately) but ask any medium any tarrot card reader etc and its 90% of HIS customers are daft dippy birds

The lions probably put out a scent that they are a pound of fresh mince that the zebra's kinda like. Ever though of it that way?

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Oh for forks ache!

I can only give one example of somebody who I met who I truly believe had a gift or whatever. She charged me nothing-just asked me to give a gift to a charity (reminds me of Aunt Jess). She told me stuff she couldn't possibly have known and then I found out that she worked with the police on the Moors Murders case. Ever wonder how the police were able to track the graves of those poor little mites? Brady and Hindley kept stum about the whole thing-in fact they have never revealed were Lesley Ann Downey is buried I think I am right in saying. She located most of them-it's in the records somewhere. She just looked at a map and bingo. If you think that's easy go hike the Yorkshire Moors and try it. What does it mean? Dunno.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
Guest DisposableHeroes

Does Uri Geller really have the ability to dowse for oil and precious metals?

Or is he just a fiendish cutlery destroyer?

HOLA4421
Guest AuntJess
Oh for forks ache!

Do you smoke or do you know others who smoke? How is it they can hear the stats. on smoking related deaths and still smoke?

How about the daft dippy men who buy hair restorer or p-e-nis enlarging creams, huh? I might believe you aren't anti-women if you were more general in 'knocking' people who do daft things in the hope of having a better/happier life.

If you had ANY shred of common or garden insight into people and/or their motivations you would NOT need to ask that question.

As for scoffing at what you don't understand: try opening your mind ..who knows you may actually learn summat new. :D

HOLA4422
Guest AuntJess
Does Uri Geller really have the ability to dowse for oil and precious metals?

Or is he just a fiendish cutlery destroyer?

I think we'd all have to acknowledge that those who make a party trick out of certain things - using trickery/sleight of hand/ smoke and mirrors - undermine those people who do actually have certain gifts.

After all the TV screens are littered with young - and not so young - 'hopefuls' passing themselves off as singers - and what is even more astonishing - succeeding, with mugs who buy their records believing that these people can actually SING, instead of being the result of a major 'bulling up' effort by con men looking to make money out of their...talent? <_<

Silk purses and sow's ears comes to mind. :rolleyes:

Yeah, people with 'tin ears' paying good money for 'noise', whilst real singers work for nothing in amateur societies - where proceeds go to charity - doing what they do because they CAN and 'cos they love doing it.

HOLA4423
That "your" consciousness came from nothing once already means that reincarnation is a fact. The only question is what "you" come back as and when and in which universe..

This is an interesting idea which I've pondered a bit myself. I think it falls down in that there is no reincarnation of the that former "self", just the creation of another "self". There's no connection between the two.

HOLA4424
Brady and Hindley kept stum about the whole thing-in fact they have never revealed were Lesley Ann Downey is buried I think I am right in saying.

I don't think that's correct, I think Hindley did cooperate but couldn't remember exactly where Downey had been buried.

HOLA4425
Given the worlds population, number of uncles dying of heart attacks etc etc I suspect it shouldn't be a surprise when co-incidences like this happen! Just like many people who dreamt of the twin towers being hit before it happened. Odds are a far better explanation than the paranormal!

Most of us think like that, until we experience something so specific and unnervingly weird that it changes our minds.

There are times when 'coincidence' simply doesn't cut it, not that you'll ever believe it unless/until it happens to you.

And then it'll shake you up a bit. ;)

Archived