House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest AuntJess

Do You Believe In The Paranormal?

Guest AuntJess

Ghosts, spirits, mediums, precognition, clairvoyance,ESP, psychic abilities, witches and spells, voodoo.

Which of these do you believe in and why.

Guest AuntJess
Probably all of them at one time or another. Though I don't know what the precognition is :lol:

:rolleyes: Yeah ya do. It is knowing ahead of time that summat will occur.

:rolleyes: Yeah ya do. It is knowing ahead of time that summat will occur.

:rolleyes: I knew you were going to say that. So, it's a full house from me then, and no, I am not going to explain why.

Guest AuntJess
:rolleyes: I knew you were going to say that. So, it's a full house from me then, and no, I am not going to explain why.

OK... did not want to pry. :huh: Thought it might prove interesting to hear what experiences others had in these areas.

I felt that a different sort of focus for the OT forum may be preferable to interminable discussions around the vagaries of the female of the species...and sex.

PS you might want to change your mind about 'full house'. I have added some more. :P

Guest AuntJess

Ok I will open the batting :D I believe in some mediums: met people with astonishing abilities in this area, but not sure if they are merely clairvoyant or psychic - 'reading' my thoughts instead of communing with the spirits.

I believe in a sixth sense - precognition and intuition - as I have experienced them. In younger days, my close friends had me pegged as psychic. I used to know when they would call or if they were in trouble. I think everyone has these tendencies but in some it is more developed than others. I think one can develop them more by learning to 'tune in' to people.

I thnk animals have a sixth sense. I still 'do it' today, but it isn't an 'all the time' thing. It comes and goes. I don't tell people who I know who aren't close mates: This forum does not count as I am anonymous :lol: Close mates I don't need to tell - they find out.

I felt that a different sort of focus for the OT forum may be preferable to interminable discussions around the vagaries of the female of the species...and sex.

Absolutley.

PS you might want to change your mind about 'full house'. I have added some more. :P

Not really fair is it? Keep moving the goal posts!

Not a full house anymore. Some of the new additions are a very different thing.

I run with anything that could have a credible explanation; science doesn't know everything. Porbably best grouped under the heading of ESP.

"Supersense" - animals could feel the tremors that preceded the Thailand tsunami and left the coast of they could. If you do little all day but sense your environment you will pick up anything unusual.

Mind-reading - picking up faical tics and cues. As Derren Brown does so well.

Also I think some people are better than others about picking up disruptions to electromagnetic fields so will get a sense that something is about to happen; even if they cannot define it.

I also put some credence in tachyons, particles moving backwards in time, again disrupting fields to indicate soemthing happening.

To give a very minor example I frequently wake just before my clock radio comes on. I would put this down to a change of the electromagnetic field around it as it prepares to turn on the radio.

Ghosts, spirits, voodoo etc. make for good films but are the product of over-active imaginations IMHO.

Not sure, I have been to some places where terrible things happened that I would definately class as spooky or having a feeling that was definately not right. Top of the list there would be Culloden in Scotland followed closely by Port Arthur in Tasmania. Creepy creepy places, the missus spent 10 minutes in Port Arthur then went and sat in the car because she said the place gave her the chills.

OK... did not want to pry. :huh: Thought it might prove interesting to hear what experiences others had in these areas.

I believe in telepathy, if you count that.

On 2 occasions that I am sure of, my mother dreamt precise details of traumatic events concerning family members thousands of miles away.

These were not cases of being wise after the event - she was sufficiently certain/worried at the time to either tell others or to write a letter. As it turned out later, in both cases the timings of her dreams correlated exactly with what had happened far away. (Both years ago, in the days when you just didn't phone overseas except in dire emergencies.)

One of them concerned a sister in Canada she didn't even get on with, and wasn't close to at all.

The other concerned me, and it was seriously spooky.

My mother was always hyper-hyper-sensitive, so maybe I shouldn't have been so spooked. If anybody's brain was going to be tuned in to distressed thought waves, hers was.

Guest AuntJess
Not sure, I have been to some places where terrible things happened that I would definately class as spooky or having a feeling that was definately not right. Top of the list there would be Culloden in Scotland followed closely by Port Arthur in Tasmania. Creepy creepy places, the missus spent 10 minutes in Port Arthur then went and sat in the car because she said the place gave her the chills.

Yes, I have experienced both good and bad 'vibes' in certain places. It is almost as though the walls can absorb 'goodness' or 'badness' and these can be sensed.

My hubby said he felt that way when he visited Auschwitz. :(

Guest Skinty

I reckon that there is a case to be made for telepathy of low infomation content in intense emotional situations as opposed to lab conditions. I also think that we need to discern scientifically whether or not this is true before considering anything else.

Guest AuntJess
I believe in telepathy, if you count that.

On 2 occasions that I am sure of, my mother dreamt precise details of traumatic events concerning family members thousands of miles away.

These were not cases of being wise after the event - she was sufficiently certain/worried at the time to either tell others or to write a letter. As it turned out later, in both cases the timings of her dreams correlated exactly with what had happened far away. (Both years ago, in the days when you just didn't phone overseas except in dire emergencies.)

One of them concerned a sister in Canada she didn't even get on with, and wasn't close to at all.

The other concerned me, and it was seriously spooky.

My mother was always hyper-hyper-sensitive, so maybe I shouldn't have been so spooked. If anybody's brain was going to be tuned in to distressed thought waves, hers was.

Yes, I once knew a lass who was VERY sensitive. she was in one of my counselling classes and she wanted to go all the way to acquire full counsellor status ( THEN it was level 3 now I think it is probably 5) I would not give her a recommedation fro the next step up, as I felt she wasn't ready...had a few demons to confront IMO.(Terrible childhood etc) She was so empathic and sensitive, but she did not have ANY defences at all and I worried that she would 'go to the wall' in what is quite rigorous training for counselling.

I met her socially years later and she had become a medium. What she told me made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. :o She always was tuned in to another level, IMO.

The Bard nailed it when he said "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. "

Guest Skinty

I found Culloden disturbing. Just looking at the terrain and where the highlanders were made to charge. I now have a particularly low opinion of Bonny Prince Charlie.

In general I don't believe in the paranormal. Things like alien abductions are obviously absurd.

However I have had one experience in my life that leads me to believe that people sometimes make decisions, without even knowing, that lead them to avoiding disaster.

This phenomenon is one of the few that has got some statistical data to back it up.

A study of fatal rail accidents apparently showed that the trains involved tended to be carrying significantly fewer passengers than they would normally be doing at the relevant time / day. It's also been claimed that there were fewer people in the World Trade Center at the time of the 9/11 attack than would have normally been expected.

Also I used to be able to do dowsing with rods - I haven't tried it recently as it looks a bit silly. But that's a known phenomenon with a possible explanation, so it's not really paranormal.

Guest Skinty
To give a very minor example I frequently wake just before my clock radio comes on. I would put this down to a change of the electromagnetic field around it as it prepares to turn on the radio.

I sometimes wake at the time my alarm is to go off even on a Saturday when the alarm isn't set. You can also tell yourself to wake up at a certain time even if no alarm clock is present and you get enough sleep if you really have to wake up then (say to catch a flight)

I do think that if telepathy is real then it will probably be because we sense electro-magnetic fields when other people's brains are particularly active, normally because they are very emotional, and we are in the same situation as them.

For example, think of a monkey noticing a predator, it's no longer going to be interested in its banana or anything else. It's brain is going to be extremely emotional and active. It squawks and the predator catches every other monkey's attention as well. Could all these monkey brains be emitting brain waves that were strong enough to be associated with the sensory stimuli of the predator so that using pavlovian association, sensing the electromagnetic field by itself cause the same result? There would be an evolutionary advantage to doing so if it were possible.

This doesn't explain how telepathy could continue across large distances though. There would have to be some other physical mechanism in play, but it would probably work the same way if it is.

Guest AuntJess
I run with anything that could have a credible explanation; science doesn't know everything. Porbably best grouped under the heading of ESP.

"Supersense" - animals could feel the tremors that preceded the Thailand tsunami and left the coast of they could. If you do little all day but sense your environment you will pick up anything unusual.

Also I think some people are better than others about picking up disruptions to electromagnetic fields so will get a sense that something is about to happen; even if they cannot define it.

I also put some credence in tachyons, particles moving backwards in time, again disrupting fields to indicate soemthing happening.

Ghosts, spirits, voodoo etc. make for good films but are the product of over-active imaginations IMHO.

I think voodoo is down to powerful auto-suggestion and the person's belief that what they are told is the truth. Our mind can play powerful tricks on us: 'Placebo effects' show this.

As to you waking before the clock rings, I often pop into the kitchen to check on a dish in the oven, only to find that the timer is only a few seconds from ringing. THAT I put down to a sort of internal clock, which we aren't always consciously aware of.

Ghosts - dunno. Never met any - never wanted to. :o I keep an open mind though. :huh:

Yes, I have experienced both good and bad 'vibes' in certain places. It is almost as though the walls can absorb 'goodness' or 'badness' and these can be sensed.

My hubby said he felt that way when he visited Auschwitz. :(

Yes Culloden was very like that, can't fully describe it but it was like a palpable feeling of dread and the atmosphere seemed thick with it, very unpleasant.

My father worked in an office block in Hong Kong that was built on the site of a warehouse where the Japanese committed some hideous atrocities. Many of the Chinese refused to work into the night there and many of my old mans collegues often complained of strange goings on. Odd stuff.

No, its all a load of nonsense. A combination of superstition, wishful thinking, not understanding probability properly and silly middle aged women congratulating themselves on their self-proclaimed great sensitivity. Oddly, these individuals are often attuned to auras and angels yet are insensitive to the usual social cues from people wishing they'd belt up with their rubbish.

Sorry, couldn't think of a way of relating it back to sex.

Accusations of arrogance along with misquotes from Hamlet in 3...2...

Guest AuntJess

Yup, he is a talented guy. I had my palm read once by a Romany but she never once looked at my face. Granted she could have noted the quickening of breath, or my hand might have twitched. Therapists too, develop acute sensitivity to NVCs and it is useful.

What SHE told me was really eerie, as it wasn't a slow delivery... it was a rapid exposition. If she was reading cues she was reading them at the speed of light!!

In general I don't believe in the paranormal. Things like alien abductions are obviously absurd.

However I have had one experience in my life that leads me to believe that people sometimes make decisions, without even knowing, that lead them to avoiding disaster.

This phenomenon is one of the few that has got some statistical data to back it up.

A study of fatal rail accidents apparently showed that the trains involved tended to be carrying significantly fewer passengers than they would normally be doing at the relevant time / day. It's also been claimed that there were fewer people in the World Trade Center at the time of the 9/11 attack than would have normally been expected.

Also I used to be able to do dowsing with rods - I haven't tried it recently as it looks a bit silly. But that's a known phenomenon with a possible explanation, so it's not really paranormal.

I'd like to see how they worked that out for rail accidents. I have the suspicion they didn't allow for regression toward the mean.

I used to work with a man who had an amazing insight into people. If I told him I was going to do something at the weekend, on the Monday he'd ask how it went and say 'I bet you did this, and that, and then this happened' and I'd say yes, and he'd say 'I knew it'!! He was always right - he just had a sort of intuition, I suppose. The only time he was wrong was that he used to tell me 'You'll never get away from this place, it's a dead-end job' - but I did!

Ghosts, spirits, mediums, precognition, clairvoyance,ESP, psychic abilities, witches and spells, voodoo.

Which of these do you believe in and why.

I don't believe any of it, although I did have an argument with a ghost once.

I'd like to see how they worked that out for rail accidents. I have the suspicion they didn't allow for regression toward the mean.
I don't know, I just read an article on the net - but it was a serious academic research study and I think it's probably still ongoing.

Guest AuntJess
No, its all a load of nonsense. A combination of superstition, wishful thinking, not understanding probability properly and silly middle aged women congratulating themselves on their self-proclaimed great sensitivity. Oddly, these individuals are often attuned to auras and angels yet are insensitive to the usual social cues from people wishing they'd belt up with their rubbish.

Sorry, couldn't think of a way of relating it back to sex.

Not very subtle Cogs. Why so hostile? That unnecessary sexist crack about silly middle-aged women. You DID not manage to keep away from discussing women: in such a short answer you managed to convey extreme contempt - towards members of the opposite sex..or was it perhaps towards me?

You have obviously failed to avoid dissing women, <_< and I set this thread going to enable people to discuss something a bit different.