HOLA441
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
Stocking up for the coming general election and found some tabasco source which although a couple of years past its best before date tastes perfectly good (i.e. just as vile and hot as when new).

Can anyone recommend any other foodstuffs with a long shelf life?

Last week I used up a tin of new potatoes cleared out of an ancient relative's kitchen after she died. And that was at least 4 years ago.

Best before June 1994 :P

Tasted as fine as tinned spuds ever can, which isn't saying much. Slung them in a casserole and we're all still alive.

HOLA446
Guest P-Diddly
Last week I used up a tin of new potatoes cleared out of an ancient relative's kitchen after she died. And that was at least 4 years ago.

Best before June 1994 :P

Tasted as fine as tinned spuds ever can, which isn't saying much. Slung them in a casserole and we're all still alive.

Holy cr@p! What's going on over there? I got an email from mother recently saying how great her allotment was and how it was going to provide enough food for winter and how this was just a wonderful thing! :blink:

HOLA447

My wife did some food health & safety course a few years ago. She's convinced that our house will be infested with Botulism the moment a Best Before date passes, so TFH hording is out of the question.

I once helped clear out an old barn loft and we found a crate of tinned tomato soup. I don't recall a date on the tins, but the branding looked pre-WWII. We opened a tin and the soup looked and smelled fine, but none of us had the balls to taste the stuff.

HOLA448
You can do without many of the necessities of life if you have a few of its luxuries. You have no luxuries on your list.

Washing powder 100kgs

Shampoo 50 litres

Soap about 300 bars

Washing up liquid about 10 gallons

Tea about a years worth

Pepper . . .

These are all luxuries you don't need. Although, personally i'd consider Tea a luxury.

I'm going to invest my money in a wood, in which i'm going to bury my hoarde of tins. Then when she sh@t hits the fan properly, I can go and live there, eating rabbits, nettles and woodlice.

I'll post the coordinates on here in the event of a war and anyone can join me - but you'd better bring peaches.

the yAk.

HOLA449
Guest P-Diddly
Washing powder 100kgs

Shampoo 50 litres

Soap about 300 bars

Washing up liquid about 10 gallons

Tea about a years worth

Pepper . . .

These are all luxuries you don't need. Although, personally i'd consider Tea a luxury.

I'm going to invest my money in a wood, in which i'm going to bury my hoarde of tins. Then when she sh@t hits the fan properly, I can go and live there, eating rabbits, nettles and woodlice.

I'll post the coordinates on here in the event of a war and anyone can join me - but you'd better bring peaches.

the yAk.

Shampoo. It's the one thing I can't live without. Even in the absence of soap you can use it to scrub your bo!!ox. Other than that washing up liquid will do it. But I get a rash.

HOLA4410
Shampoo. It's the one thing I can't live without. Even in the absence of soap you can use it to scrub your bo!!ox. Other than that washing up liquid will do it. But I get a rash.

You might be ok - I remember when I was at uni, we ran out of washing powder and went through a stage of using a cheap washing up liquid in the washing machine with no side effects :lol:

the yAk

HOLA4411
Guest P-Diddly
You might be ok - I remember when I was at uni, we ran out of washing powder and went through a stage of using a cheap washing up liquid in the washing machine with no side effects :lol:

the yAk

At some points in my life I've been so poor I had a litre bottle of Tesco value washing up liquid to use as both soap and shampoo. Dreadful whole body dermatitis after a couple of weeks. You lot think I'm kidding . . .

I fear I'm about to head down that road once again. Never thought I'd be a square one mid-thirties, but there you go. Round 2. Ding-ding!

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Guest P-Diddly
That sounds less than good. Have you been sideswiped by the Global Recession that started in America?

p-o-p

No that's the only thing that hasn't kicked me squarely in the bo!!ox. No change here.

I dunno, perhaps I'm being pessimistic it might all work out okay, but there's no accounting for the female mind. Especially when it's evil at the genetic level.

HOLA4414
Stocking up for the coming general election and found some tabasco source which although a couple of years past its best before date tastes perfectly good (i.e. just as vile and hot as when new).

Can anyone recommend any other foodstuffs with a long shelf life?

Care to reveal your sauces?

HOLA4415
No that's the only thing that hasn't kicked me squarely in the bo!!ox. No change here.

I dunno, perhaps I'm being pessimistic it might all work out okay, but there's no accounting for the female mind. Especially when it's evil at the genetic level.

Ah. I see. Evil roundeye not permitted to be freeholder and current proxy-freeholder no longer willing to transfer title to evil roundeye's offspring.

Off beam by a long way?

p-o-p

HOLA4416
I once helped clear out an old barn loft and we found a crate of tinned tomato soup. I don't recall a date on the tins, but the branding looked pre-WWII. We opened a tin and the soup looked and smelled fine, but none of us had the balls to taste the stuff.

Friend's granddad was a TFHatter. (With reason, it was about 1940).

Stashed an imperial fu ckton of tinned (black market no doubt, he was like that) goodies in the holiday cottage they rented every year in the mountains.

Apparently the "plan" was to hole up when TSHTF, and if the Wermacht rocked up, shoot his wife and daughters and then himself with a revolver he'd acquired somehow. :blink:

One year they turned up, only to find the hoard plundered. Turned out an eloping couple had gone on the blanket there for a while (locals eventually came up with this story, smirking and trying not to wet themselves. Course they would never steal, old fashioned rustic values etc. :lol: ).

So the surviving tins were carted back to the city, and for years thereafter there was a regular ritual.

Beerhunter-style, a ration of cans would be extracted from the cache for incorporation into that week's nosh.

Always a great deal of anticipation ('cos of rationing), and not a little apprehension.

All the labels had fallen off in the cottage.

What's it today, Mother? Pig's bum or peaches?

HOLA4417
You can do without many of the necessities of life if you have a few of its luxuries. You have no luxuries on your list.

Quote from Pitch Black: Amazing how you can do without the essentials of life, so long as you have the luxuries.

Does everything you write contain an unattributed quote, Minos? ;)

Incidentally, the character who said this came to a sticky end....

HOLA4418
Guest P-Diddly
Ah. I see. Evil roundeye not permitted to be freeholder and current proxy-freeholder no longer willing to transfer title to evil roundeye's offspring.

Off beam by a long way?

p-o-p

No all that's sorted.

She's back and it's like a big black cloud hanging over this once happy home. Day at a time. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

Feeling a bit fatalistic right now. I've had 15 years hard, hard slog to set this up. All for nothing. Time to move on I guess.

See, even my spellings off.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

"Now hands that do dishes can feel soft as your face." I suppose it can apply to your b0llox.

HOLA4421
Quote from Pitch Black: Amazing how you can do without the essentials of life, so long as you have the luxuries.

Does everything you write contain an unattributed quote, Minos? ;)

Incidentally, the character who said this came to a sticky end....

What's Pitch Black?

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived