House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest happy?

Survivalist Fred

Guest happy?

Stocking up for the coming general election and found some tabasco source which although a couple of years past its best before date tastes perfectly good (i.e. just as vile and hot as when new).

Can anyone recommend any other foodstuffs with a long shelf life?

Stocking up for the coming general election and found some tabasco source which although a couple of years past its best before date tastes perfectly good (i.e. just as vile and hot as when new).

Longest has to be various alcoholic drinks. Vintage wine, vintage port, 20-year-old malt whisky, etc.

Otherwise, anything frozen, salted, pickled, or otherwise preserved.

General election = general panic

Whast like screaming babbons, flying monekys and screeching chimpanzees?

You could buy some Meals Ready to Eat or Ration Packs from the Army surplus store. I thought they had a shelf life of about 10 years and most of the food could be eaten cold if you had no fuel to make a fire to heat it up etc. Proper tin hat time.

What about dried stuff, things like beans, lentils etc? I'm still dipping into a pack of black eyed beans I must have bought 4-5 years ago. Best before 2 years ago, but they still work. They're slightly inconvenient in that you have to soak them overnight before you can use them Best place to look is asian food shops. They tend to sell bigger packs that are better value for money.

Dried, pickled, tinned, preserved.

Dried peas beans and lentils, milk, eggs...Tinned fish, meat and veg....Preserved hams, chutneys, jams, honey. Pickled chutneys, veg, eggs.

Oatcakes (the small round industrial grade, not the strange english naan-style ones).

Slightly less tasty than vitreous china, but tougher. Ignore the use-by, I can't tell the diff. between new ones and 6 or 7 year-old ones.

White rice, tea, soy sauces, (do I detect a theme emerging here?)

Chana daal, any old sort of split peas ( I find dried beans go powdery and unsoakable after a year or so, probably because they're already antique by the time our local hip capitalist wholefood shop shovels 'em off the floor of their rat-infested warehouse :lol: ) whereas with the peas you can always just make pottagey crap out of the powdery ones.

Rolled oats. Sugar, if you can keep it absolutely dry.

Canned sauerkraut (vitamin C) from LiDL. Good till the end of the Mayan Long Count, apparently :ph34r:

Cup-a soup, in fact any of that powdered heart-attack-in-a-sachet stuff is ok for livening up a pot of carbohydrate slop (e.g. the rice). Can you still get the food of the gods, Vesta packet curries? Indestructible.

Sardines , any old tinned fish stuff. I mean, how long are you planning to live?

Most tinned stuff lasts for at least 5 years, after which the half-life kicks in and it becomes russian roulette.

Kept a tin of marinaded anchovies for 15 years once, before it puffed up like a handgrenade. Cool! Homebrew botulinum-bomb :lol:

No, I'm not a survivalist.

Who'd want to live in a world without pubs, or rock'n'roll?

Just very, very tight. And lazy.

There's only two sorts of food in my world.

Good food, and no food.

Survivalist Fred asked "Which Foodstuff has the longest half life?"

Depends what it has been iradiated with.

Uranium 238 (238U) has a half-life of 4.5 billion years.

That ought to be enough for you!

:lol:

Depends what it has been iradiated with.

Uranium 238 (238U) has a half-life of 4.5 billion years.

That ought to be enough for you!

:lol:

I feel I've been waiting that long already to see the back of Labour.

Try this place - lots of it is already past its 'best before' date, but it's cheap!

Approved Food

Most tinned stuff lasts for at least 5 years, after which the half-life kicks in and it becomes russian roulette.

Kept a tin of marinaded anchovies for 15 years once, before it puffed up like a handgrenade.

Unless tins become badly rusty or corrode through from the inside due to acidic food they should keep the contents edible for decades. Non-sterile cans will bulge or blow due to gas produced by bacteria. Legislation now requires canners to add a Best Before date. For most foods this date is entirely arbitrary and largely meaningless (although helpful for stock rotation). Acidic foods such as tomatoes or fruit in juice may take on a metallic taste if kept for some years and should be rotated. Other foods, such as fish in brine or vegetables in water, can be kept for decades with little deterioration.

'Canned Food Safety: The Canning Process':

http://www.enotalone.com/article/7794.html

The steamboat Bertrand was heavily laden with provisions when it set out on the Missouri River in 1865, destined for the gold mining camps in Fort Benton, Mont. The boat snagged and swamped under the weight, sinking to the bottom of the river. It was found a century later, under 30 feet of silt a little north of Omaha, Neb.

Among the canned food items retrieved from the Bertrand in 1968 were brandied peaches, oysters, plum tomatoes, honey, and mixed vegetables. In 1974, chemists at the National Food Processors Association (NFPA) analyzed the products for bacterial contamination and nutrient value. Although the food had lost its fresh smell and appearance, the NFPA chemists detected no microbial growth and determined that the foods were as safe to eat as they had been when canned more than 100 years earlier.

The nutrient values varied depending upon the product and nutrient. NFPA chemists Janet Dudek and Edgar Elkins report that significant amounts of vitamins C and A were lost. But protein levels remained high, and all calcium values "were comparable to today's products."

NFPA chemists also analyzed a 40-year-old can of corn found in the basement of a home in California. Again, the canning process had kept the corn safe from contaminants and from much nutrient loss. In addition, Dudek says, the kernels looked and smelled like recently canned corn.

So, Mrs.T was right all along...

'Mrs Thatcher's food store to beat inflation':

http://www.margaretthatcher.org/speeches/d...sp?docid=101831

Mrs Thatcher, Conservative spokesman on economic affairs, is beating inflation in food prices by stocking up with tins of ham, tongue and sardines. In a taped interview to be published tomorrow in Pre Retirement Choice, Mrs Thatcher says she has been doing it for some time.

"People tend to think of storage these days in terms of deep freezing, but fresh meat won't keep in a deep freeze for more than a year," she said.

"Tinned food on the other hand will keep for five, 10 and 15 years. What you collect are the expensive proteins: ham, tongue, salmon, mackerel, sardines."

scientists also found a week old bag of cheese and onion crisps.

"on opening the package, it was found that is was just as shitty as the day it was packed"

Honey. I can't believe nobody has mentioned it. If kept correctly it never goes off - ever.

Quite impressive really. Those bees are smart cookies.

The trouble with preserved foods are they lose much of the vitamin content.

Better off learning skills which ensure a regular supply of fresh food.

Guest P-Diddly
Unless tins become badly rusty or corrode through from the inside due to acidic food they should keep the contents edible for decades. Non-sterile cans will bulge or blow due to gas produced by bacteria. Legislation now requires canners to add a Best Before date. For most foods this date is entirely arbitrary and largely meaningless (although helpful for stock rotation). Acidic foods such as tomatoes or fruit in juice may take on a metallic taste if kept for some years and should be rotated. Other foods, such as fish in brine or vegetables in water, can be kept for decades with little deterioration.

'Canned Food Safety: The Canning Process':

http://www.enotalone.com/article/7794.html

So, Mrs.T was right all along...

'Mrs Thatcher's food store to beat inflation':

http://www.margaretthatcher.org/speeches/d...sp?docid=101831

Bit TFH'ish, but this is what I've done.

Washing powder 100kgs

Shampoo 50 litres

Soap about 300 bars

Washing up liquid about 10 gallons

Noodles, 40 boxes

Tea about a years worth

Tuna, tinned

Beans, tinned (expensive here mind)

Salt . . .

Pepper . . .

The list goes on. Just need to spend a bit on sealable plastic containers etc to store the stuff. The costs come right down whatever happens as bulk buying get big discounts. Makes sense. Should have done it like this years ago.

Bit TFH'ish, but this is what I've done.

Washing powder 100kgs

Shampoo 50 litres

Soap about 300 bars

Washing up liquid about 10 gallons

Noodles, 40 boxes

Tea about a years worth

Tuna, tinned

Beans, tinned (expensive here mind)

Salt . . .

Pepper . . .

The list goes on. Just need to spend a bit on sealable plastic containers etc to store the stuff. The costs come right down whatever happens as bulk buying get big discounts. Makes sense. Should have done it like this years ago.

You can do without many of the necessities of life if you have a few of its luxuries. You have no luxuries on your list.

Guest P-Diddly
You can do without many of the necessities of life if you have a few of its luxuries. You have no luxuries on your list.

I have no luxuries. Filter cigarettes?

Bougainvillea is a luxury. I buy good healthy ones for about 45p.

Bought a new PC the other day out of necessity. Not cheap. All in about £650. Avoiding laptops, sick of the damn things.

Ummmm . . . milk! I buy UHT by the box, 1Lx12 for about £8. That's a luxury.

spam.

.. has the longest shelf life of almost any tinned food, 2+ decades apparently. if you stand to eat it.

The trouble with preserved foods are they lose much of the vitamin content.

Better off learning skills which ensure a regular supply of fresh food.

This sort of technique to extract information on the whereabouts of insurgent deer is never going to win hearts and minds.