House Price Crash Forum

Bbc Headline News - Uk Economic Growth 'has Resumed'

ccc

HOLA441
Really ? They are saying growth resumes and growth returns. Then telling us that this growth is actually at a negative number.

I can't believe I am actually having this discussion. :blink:

Surely the negative number relates to Q2 and the resumption is about what's happening now, i.e. in Q3?

Added in edit: as we are part way through Q3 we have 'past' (the signs so far) and the future (reported number at the end).

Edited by spline

HOLA442
HOLA443

Could house prices recover their former levels temporarily in order to make home owners feel 'rich' again in time for the election and then fall off the scale? Low interest rates and all this recovery talk are having the desired effect in Brighton and houses are selling again although prices I'm not sure about.

HOLA444
Classic HPC anti BBC. The article is reporting that Mervyn King has said this and that. What are they supposed to do, not report it? Report it but put their own spin on it?

It seems quite balanced to me, the first part reports what people are saying. I think this is fair enough and is of interest to me. And then it ends with some food for thought "However, most believe that any recovery will be weak, with rising unemployment hindering stronger growth".

The OP however tells a very different story and is perhaps even more guilty of spin?

I don't think it really makes a point one way or the other just reporting what various people say, after that it is up to us to make our own minds up. Thinking for ourselves is a good thing.

Sure you could rewrite the article with a doom and gloom spin but I prefer to be told straight with no spin either way, a straight report of what those bankers are saying - whether I agree with it or not of course :D!

As a sub editor myself, I'd say this was clear bias. A good impartial sub should have used a headline like 'King warns on mixed outlook for economy' which summarises essentially what is being said. Despite the use of 'scare quotes' the current headline still gives the impression that the overall message is one of growth, which is not what the article is about.

HOLA445
It's not good news if you are suffering from cancer, like the British economy.

Cancer is a good analogy. Mind you you have to have the mind of King Knut to measure nominal GDP movements as growth when you are printing money out of your ****. Try measuring this "growth" in anything other than nominal terms and all you get is debt, QE, sliding output and real falls against the any meaningful basket of currencies.

http://www.fairinvestment.co.uk/News/debt-...n-18469882.html

UK debt levels rise again

15/09/2009

Andy Davies

UK debt levels rise again

Debt levels in the UK increased again in the second quarter of 2009, almost doubling the level of borrowing in the first quarter of the year.

According to unbiased.co.uk, a total of £5.5billion was borrowed by Brits in the second quarter of 2009 compared to £2.9billion in the first quarter.

However, savings levels have grown to £21billion after hitting a record low of £14billion in the first quarter.

But figures published by the professional advice website show that in spite of this increase, saving levels are 70 per cent lower this year than in the same period last year.

HOLA446
Really ? They are saying growth resumes and growth returns. Then telling us that this growth is actually at a negative number.

I can't believe I am actually having this discussion. :blink:

I can't believe you've read the article calmly. Almost everything you are objecting to is a quote or an opinion, and the article contains much that is bearish.

Is it a good article? No. Is it a lie? No.

The beeb-blinkers on this site are un-effing-believable. Either you don't acknowledge bearish articles, or you spin moderate articles until you are suitably frothing at the mouth. The bbc is far from perfect, but it is not the monster you imagine.

HOLA447
I can't believe you've read the article calmly. Almost everything you are objecting to is a quote or an opinion, and the article contains much that is bearish.

Is it a good article? No. Is it a lie? No.

The beeb-blinkers on this site are un-effing-believable. Either you don't acknowledge bearish articles, or you spin moderate articles until you are suitably frothing at the mouth. The bbc is far from perfect, but it is not the monster you imagine.

You are on the wind up - right ?

I will give up with this now. If someone wants to see this article as impartial and non misleading that is up to them. I simply think you are wrong. Very wrong.

I do not think the Beeb is a monster. However on certain subjects it is so biased it is incredible. I would be interested to know if this is intentional bias or they are just a bit dim when it comes to certain matters.

-House prices

-Climate Change

-Economy

If anyone thinks this country is above political parties using friends in the so called 'impartial' media to spin their own ends ? I think they are being rather naive.

HOLA448
they have thrown the kitchen sink at it, almost bankrupting the country, to give gordon the option of going to the country this autumn

- he is now set to ponder whether he should or shouldn't, but king has done his party piece,

gordon now has to weigh up:

certain defeat Q4 2009

or

certain defeat Q2 2010

- will he choose to stay on and collect more salary at pm levels, or will they push him out pre Q2 2010 to try to not be quite so damaged at the polls.

it's anyone's guess now.

(the MPs may get a bunker mentality and push him out because they will try to limit their number who loses seats, to that end they'd want him out soon and someone else leading by the GE Q2)

For the long-term sake of the party, facing defeat in both scenarios, Mandelson will force Brown to go for a quickie October 22nd election on the line of "Dont let the Tories wreck the Recovery"

This will be announced at end of Browns Labour conference speech, nicely writting off the Tory conference, along with a promise that Brown will stand down whatever the result - thus adding an element of 'new leader, should I give them another chance?' to the minds of swing voters

Brown will then come down with suspected swine flu, and The Dark Lord will take the helm for the 3 week campaign. Labour will loose, but they hope that they will retain enough MPs to prevent a party wipeout, so they can regroup to fight another day

By spring next year we'll be in the "Big W", and Labour can point to the Tories and say "they wrecked it all! See, it was no time for a novice!!"

HOLA449
HOLA4410
  • 1 month later...
HOLA4411

Nice one. Let me just read to the bottom of the article...

Growth Resumes

"Growth returns:

The UK economy contracted by 0.7% between April and June, a significant improvement on the 2.4% fall in the first three months of the year.

Many observers believe the economy will return to growth in the current quarter, marking an end to the recession."

Ah yes, now I see. The headline is simply a lie. Well done BBC. Big Goggs will be chuffed. Nice of them to add the little ' ' just to cover the fact that the headline is completely false.

This country is a deluded joke.

Well, well, well.

Seems the BBC was talking piss as per usual. Who would have guessed....:rolleyes:

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

BBC and NIESR discredited once again

why dont these fools wait for official data before coming out with their crap?

Probably because they would have to wait, and they wouldn't want that.

Easier just to cross your fingers and tell everyone that everything is ok............

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Of course its growing, the public sector is the economy, and as the BBC well knows the private sector just leeches on hard working civil servents! So quite frankly ****** all those poor people loosing their jobs, they don't count, everything is fine at the BBC, we have guaranteed income!

Edited by domo