House Price Crash Forum
ccc

Bbc Headline News - Uk Economic Growth 'has Resumed'

Nice one. Let me just read to the bottom of the article...

Growth Resumes

"Growth returns:

The UK economy contracted by 0.7% between April and June, a significant improvement on the 2.4% fall in the first three months of the year.

Many observers believe the economy will return to growth in the current quarter, marking an end to the recession."

Ah yes, now I see. The headline is simply a lie. Well done BBC. Big Goggs will be chuffed. Nice of them to add the little ' ' just to cover the fact that the headline is completely false.

This country is a deluded joke.

To be fair – the BBC headline is: UK economic growth 'has resumed'[with quotes] and in the video Mervyn King does actually say 'there are now signs that growth has resumed in the third quarter..’

they have thrown the kitchen sink at it, almost bankrupting the country, to give gordon the option of going to the country this autumn

- he is now set to ponder whether he should or shouldn't, but king has done his party piece,

gordon now has to weigh up:

certain defeat Q4 2009

or

certain defeat Q2 2010

- will he choose to stay on and collect more salary at pm levels, or will they push him out pre Q2 2010 to try to not be quite so damaged at the polls.

it's anyone's guess now.

(the MPs may get a bunker mentality and push him out because they will try to limit their number who loses seats, to that end they'd want him out soon and someone else leading by the GE Q2)

Edited by loginandtonic

To be fair …quot; the BBC headline is: UK economic growth 'has resumed'[with quotes] and in the video Mervyn King does actually say 'there are now signs that growth has resumed in the third quarter..’

You can't be sticking up for his can you ? The sheeple don't read to the bottom of an article. The people that write these things know that. You really think the average Joe takes into consideration what the wee ' ' mean ?!!

I totally agree with Loginandtonic. The first thing I thought of when I read this was snap election.

That and Broon all of a sudden admitting he will make tough decisions when it comes to spending. Darling/Mandelson saying yesterday they wanted to be smart spenders rather than big spenders.

Maybe they are just starting early for next May. However I reckon the bookies odds have changed in the past few days. Anyone been keeping an eye ?

they have thrown the kitchen sink at it, almost bankrupting the country, to give gordon the option of going to the country this autumn

- he is now set to ponder whether he should or shouldn't, but king has done his party piece,

gordon now has to weigh up:

certain defeat Q4 2009

or

certain defeat Q2 2010

- will he choose to stay on and collect more salary at pm levels, or will they push him out pre Q2 2010 to try to not be quite so damaged at the polls.

it's anyone's guess now.

guaranteed to be pushed out, it gives another one of them the opportunity to claim a primeministers pension for which only one day of service is needed

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6233470.stm

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

You can't be sticking up for his can you ? The sheeple don't read to the bottom of an article. The people that write these things know that. You really think the average Joe takes into consideration what the wee ' ' mean ?!!

Nope, I’m just pointing out that both the headline and Mervyn King said ‘growth has resumed’, so the headline was not simply a lie as the post suggested. :)

Classic HPC anti BBC. The article is reporting that Mervyn King has said this and that. What are they supposed to do, not report it? Report it but put their own spin on it?

It seems quite balanced to me, the first part reports what people are saying. I think this is fair enough and is of interest to me. And then it ends with some food for thought "However, most believe that any recovery will be weak, with rising unemployment hindering stronger growth".

The OP however tells a very different story and is perhaps even more guilty of spin?

I don't think it really makes a point one way or the other just reporting what various people say, after that it is up to us to make our own minds up. Thinking for ourselves is a good thing.

Sure you could rewrite the article with a doom and gloom spin but I prefer to be told straight with no spin either way, a straight report of what those bankers are saying - whether I agree with it or not of course :D!

Edited by Orbital

Nope, I’m just pointing out that both the headline and Mervyn King said ‘growth has resumed’, so the headline was not simply a lie as the post suggested. :)

Headline should read:

Growth has 'has resumed in the third quarter' and probably this bit too...... 'due to unprecedented stimuli'

Not really the same thing is it. If we were making water, and production of that water dropped by 2.4% one month then the following month only dropped by 0.8% you could say that production had increased from what it was.

Maybe this chap was the headline writer?

:blink:

Signs of growth are very different from growth itself. I would have though most on here would appreciate that.

The headline tells people growth has resumed. It has not. The headline is extremely misleading - at the very least.

Ok people seem to think there is little wrong with this article. Again - I will quote here:

Growth returns

The UK economy contracted by 0.7% between April and June, a significant improvement on the 2.4% fall in the first three months of the year.

Many observers believe the economy will return to growth in the current quarter, marking an end to the recession."

You honestly dont think that headline is simply wrong ?! :blink:

Is the word 'growth' really appropriate to describe something declining less slowly?

forgive the example but; If my morning erection immediately subsides to a 'semi' and then shrinks down slowly to it's 'resting state' over the next 5 minutes, is my pen1s then experiencing growth? The BBC seem to think so.

the c0cks.

Edited by Breck

Ok people seem to think there is little wrong with this article. Again - I will quote here:

Growth returns

Well, the contraction was reported for Q2 and the ‘signs that growth has resumed’ said by Mervyn relate to Q3?

Edited by spline

Classic HPC anti BBC. The article is reporting that Mervyn King has said this and that. What are they supposed to do, not report it? Report it but put their own spin on it?

It seems quite balanced to me, the first part reports what people are saying. I think this is fair enough and is of interest to me. And then it ends with some food for thought "However, most believe that any recovery will be weak, with rising unemployment hindering stronger growth".

The OP however tells a very different story and is perhaps even more guilty of spin?

I don't think it really makes a point one way or the other just reporting what various people say, after that it is up to us to make our own minds up. Thinking for ourselves is a good thing.

Sure you could rewrite the article with a doom and gloom spin but I prefer to be told straight with no spin either way, a straight report of what those bankers are saying - whether I agree with it or not of course :D!

ccc is correct to highlight the contradictions, and if you want your news spin free the bbc is often the last place i'd try, watching hugh gofirst last week was almost a party election broadcast for labour

Growth returns

Erse!

How can a sign of growth be different from growth? hmm? explain it eejit!

A sign of growth is when it appears to inflate from a low point? meaning there must have been some growth for a sign to appear? growth is growth wether you want to call it a sign or not a baw hair or a speckle.

I do believe you work in Edinburgh, a banksta! well....you should know better fool.

Edited by Jister1

Guest KingCharles1st

Its just like the "The BBC has learned that..." shite I keep hearing from them.

Why don't they just say "The Government would like to manipulate you with this well written (by them) news story."

What a load of guff.

So your point is that the bbc are telling lies because, even though they are telling the truth, people are so stupid that they won't read it correctly, therefore it's a lie?

This is almost as funny as the poster who blamed the bbc for a bullish article in the times...

I think this thread is quite a nice example of the HPC dark tinted spectacles effect. :D

The BBC article says of the UK economy

Q1 -2.4%

Q2 -0.7%

Q3 ‘signs that growth has resumed’ said by Mervyn King at the start of the video

so, presumably, the new info to report (i.e. the news) is that UK economic growth ‘has resumed’. I just don’t agree that it amounts to blatant spin and lies.

Well, the contraction was reported for Q2 and the ‘signs that growth has resumed’ said by Mervyn relate to Q3?

But signs of growth ? Not exactly the same as growth are they. If the numbers come through in the next stats then fair enough. The headline is reasonable. Until then the headline is false. Hence the wee ' ' just to cover themselves.

I think this thread is quite a nice example of the HPC dark tinted spectacles effect. :D

The BBC article says of the UK economy

Q1 -2.4%

Q2 -0.7%

Q3 ‘signs that growth has resumed’ said by Mervyn King at the start of the video

so, presumably, the new info to report (i.e. the news) is that UK economic growth ‘has resumed’. I just don’t agree that it amounts to blatant spin and lies.

How many times do I have to say it. Has resumed is very different to signs of resumption. It is a massive difference. IMO.

It is exactly the same as those football transfer rumours:

"Arsenal have 'signed' Ronaldo."

Some chump believes this has happened. There are 'signs' from the club he is on the way. Two months later.......nah just another story. What is the difference to this story. Oh yes - our Merv is the mole with the inside info. He is a trustworthy source of course... :lol:

Propaganda at it's finest.

They clearly are trying say "we've talked ourselves into recession and we'll talk ourselves out of it".

On one level it's correct because we did talk ourselves into it by huge numbers lying about how much they earned on mortgage applications.

I don’t suppose we’ll know until it’s all been counted up at the end of the quarter, but as we’re already part way through the signs are, well, a bit positive. Of course, it could all go pear-shaped (or more strictly W-shaped) but the news coming from Mervyn today was tentatively positive but with the usual health warnings.

What a load of guff.

So your point is that the bbc are telling lies because, even though they are telling the truth, people are so stupid that they won't read it correctly, therefore it's a lie?

This is almost as funny as the poster who blamed the bbc for a bullish article in the times...

Really ? They are saying growth resumes and growth returns. Then telling us that this growth is actually at a negative number.

I can't believe I am actually having this discussion. :blink:

I don’t suppose we’ll know until it’s all been counted up at the end of the quarter, but as we’re already part way through the signs are, well, a bit positive. Of course, it could all go pear-shaped (or more strictly W-shaped) but the news coming from Mervyn today was tentatively positive but with the usual health warnings.

Well yeah that is my entire point...the headline clearly infers the counting has already taken place...you do realise 'has resumed' is in the past tense... :rolleyes: