House Price Crash Forum

This Guy Who Has Been Pardoned By The Home Secretary

HOLA441

I can't get my head around how this works. Guy was convicted in Turkey and was shipped back to serve his sentence here. How then can this Country pardon him? Surely, his conviction still stands in Turkey so what happens when Turkey joins the EU (which hopefully they never will) and gets to use the EU arrest warrant system?

What happens if he ever gets asked "have you ever been convicted of an offence anywhere in the world?". If Turkey had pardoned him then he could answer "no", but they haven't.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
I can't get my head around how this works. Guy was convicted in Turkey and was shipped back to serve his sentence here. How then can this Country pardon him? Surely, his conviction still stands in Turkey so what happens when Turkey joins the EU (which hopefully they never will) and gets to use the EU arrest warrant system?

What happens if he ever gets asked "have you ever been convicted of an offence anywhere in the world?". If Turkey had pardoned him then he could answer "no", but they haven't.

good question, i dont know this case

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Right, checked it - it's Bulgaria. However, how can we pardon him for a conviction obtained in a different jurisdiction? Surely he still stands convicted in Bulgaria?

Secondly, since when do people get pardoned on the basis of an alleged verbal confession the existence of which has come via their own family?

This all seems very strange and bizzare to me.

HOLA446
HOLA447
Right, checked it - it's Bulgaria. However, how can we pardon him for a conviction obtained in a different jurisdiction? Surely he still stands convicted in Bulgaria?

Secondly, since when do people get pardoned on the basis of an alleged verbal confession the existence of which has come via their own family?

Yes, its Bulgaria. Varna actually. The Jail in Varna is very basic I can assure you :(

HOLA448

Is Labour looking for more votes in Liverpool or something?

Apparently, Jack Straw met with the family and they told him some new evidence. :huh:

He won't say what that evidence is.

He won't put the evidence before a court, why bother with the old scales of justice?

Shields recommended for royal pardon.

Backslapping and cheers all round, let's hope Shields can also claim lots of compensation.

Meanwhile the Bulgarian waiter remains brain damaged from the effects of a concrete slab dropped on his head. :( No mention of this.

I can't help thinking that this sort of circus won't help any UK citizen much in the future, should they be arrested in Bulgaria.

HOLA449

Yes it is odd:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conviction_of_Michael_Shields

Sounds like there are many eye witnesses who saw him do it, and the confession by someone else was withdrawn (and anyway they said they used a different weapon to that actually used).

Even if he didnt try to kill him, it does appear at the very least he was involved in the attack with others, so he is not some innocent bystander being locked up for years.

According to wikipeadia anyway. The observer appears to claim otherwise:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theobserver/2007...ures.magazine37

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Some other bloke has admited doing it ages ago

Its been a f*ckin farce, why the peasant Bulgarian pricks wanted a scape goat is beyond me.

Deliberately prosecuting the wrong man just to get a result is deliberately letting off the right man.

and anyway Bulgaria is the holiday destination of chavs and tight tw@ts

HOLA4415
Is Labour looking for more votes in Liverpool or something?

Apparently, Jack Straw met with the family and they told him some new evidence. :huh:

He won't say what that evidence is.

He won't put the evidence before a court, why bother with the old scales of justice?

Shields recommended for royal pardon.

Backslapping and cheers all round, let's hope Shields can also claim lots of compensation.

Meanwhile the Bulgarian waiter remains brain damaged from the effects of a concrete slab dropped on his head. :( No mention of this.

I can't help thinking that this sort of circus won't help any UK citizen much in the future, should they be arrested in Bulgaria.

This did occur, to be honest. Liverpudlians seem to be irrationally sensitive on these matters so one wonders if this is a buttering-up job for a close election?

Still doesn't answer my question though. How on Earth can the UK pardon someone convicted in another Country? Surely he still stands convicted in Bulgaria? I mean this is a Royal pardon and the Queen doesn't reign over Bulgaria, as far as I know.

HOLA4416
Yes I am sure an 18 year old lad on holiday with his mates, was safely tucked up in bed with a cup of cocoa by 10.30pm the night the football team he supported won the champions league. :lol:

I see you have the same standards as the Bulgarian police.

It wasn't the night they won and it was 3am he was in by (the crime occured at 5.30am), not 10.30pm.

:rolleyes:

HOLA4417
I see you have the same standards as the Bulgarian police.

It wasn't the night they won and it was 3am he was in by (the crime occured at 5.30am), not 10.30pm.

:rolleyes:

Well said. I hope these posters never have to find out about the dubiousness of much of the world's legal proceedings the hard way. Bulgaria, remember, was a communist country for many years and has a culture of locking up innocent people.

HOLA4418
Still doesn't answer my question though. How on Earth can the UK pardon someone convicted in another Country? Surely he still stands convicted in Bulgaria?

The Home Secretary can issue a pardon, but he cannot overturn the conviction of the Bulgarian court anymore than he can overturn the brain damage caused to Mr Georgiev.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
Facts are he is scouse, a convicted criminal, violent and he was released by Straw.

Next.

Are you trolling for the tw@t of the day award? If so, congratulations, you've won it!

Edt: for ****** sakes, I can't even call someone a twit without it changing the a!

HOLA4425
The Home Secretary can issue a pardon, but he cannot overturn the conviction of the Bulgarian court anymore than he can overturn the brain damage caused to Mr Georgiev.

That doesn't make sense...it's a logical absurdity. How can the UK issue a pardon in a case like this? The pardon cannot possibly have any legal effect. A pardon effectively means that you no longer stand convicted yet he clearly is still a convicted person as far as Bulgaria goes. If a UK "pardon" doesn't overturn a foreign conviction it is not pardon at all.

Archived