HOLA441
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
How big are the slave labour slums getting?

No existant now,,, in Dubai

I actual work with Channel 4 dispatches.. Dubai Goverment put its foot firmly Down as UN also gave it pressure on this.

Prisions for the scammers and cheats are getting full though...

HOLA443
How big are the slave labour slums getting?

Who gives a F*ck? If I move there with the missus, all I am interested is a cleaner and a cook for $400 per month. If you want equal rights, stay in the UK, with all the other lowlife scum that get paid to do nothing.

We once ruled the world you know...

For me, I prefer Abu Dhabi.

Seems to be a bit better established and a little less like Vegas on steroids.

Edited by mbga9pgf

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
Take a look at this informative slideshow...

'Off the Deep End: A Look at the Decline of Dubai' [August 2009]:

http://www.fastcompany.com/multimedia/slid...tent/dubai.html

90813579.jpg

An excellent presentation, your slide show was nothing like the gltzy programme i watched earlier that promoted there dream, an interesting point raised in there glitzy version was " THERE OIL WOULD RUN OUT ON 2015 " and they were banking it all on tourism to take them forward.

This really could go down in history as the mother of all screw ups, Trillions of dollars have been invested in this pipe dream.

I Was at a presentation about Dubai last year where all sorts of crazy guaranteed returns on your investments were promised, i politly declined as i smelt a rat.

Good to know i was right, thanks again.

HOLA447
Went there for Christmas, building project seems to be booming still, expensive to live there, rent wise but shopping is cheapish, drinks are £7-£8 a pint, mainly due to the pound worth less!!!, taxis are cheap. £10 will get you a ride anywhere for 2 hours. Flights are cheap and hotels reasonable, will go back.

The tallest building in the world is huge!! and the view from the marina is impressive. will go back for sure. Best place to stay is the Jamarah beach area.

Looks good how long is the flight ?

HOLA448
An excellent presentation, your slide show was nothing like the gltzy programme i watched earlier that promoted there dream, an interesting point raised in there glitzy version was " THERE OIL WOULD RUN OUT ON 2015 " and they were banking it all on tourism to take them forward.

This really could go down in history as the mother of all screw ups, Trillions of dollars have been invested in this pipe dream.

I Was at a presentation about Dubai last year where all sorts of crazy guaranteed returns on your investments were promised, i politly declined as i smelt a rat.

Good to know i was right, thanks again.

There are a few threads about Dubai over in

House Price Crash forum > Investment > Overseas property investment

where I expect this thread will end up,

some of which are the following

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=33755

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...howtopic=123381

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...howtopic=122903

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...howtopic=122843

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...howtopic=120912

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Good article, imo. I don't understand people who post that they like Dubai, or that they want to go back. These people make me suspicious. I've never been to Dubai, and I hope that I never will. I know I couldn't bear to be there for more than about five minutes.

Its fine as long as you are not naieve to the status quo. I have no problems with the emeratis living as they do, its their country, not ours after all.

HOLA4412

Only ever been there once but I found the place oppressive, too steeped in the wrong kind of 'culture'..I was constantly worried about inadvertently committing some sort of thought crime, which would earn me 6 months in jail and an amputated arm or such like..

I sincerely hope Dubai is eventually swallowed up by the desert as the world could do with fewer places like it..

HOLA4413

Oh dear, what a mess.

I can see the population of that city becoming solely the 5% original Emirati population again...

They have to spend megamoney desalinating the water... hate to see what happens when that megamoney runs dry.

The dream might be turning into a nightmare for many ex-pats, especially as if you can't repay your debt, you go to jail!

HOLA4414
Who gives a F*ck? If I move there with the missus, all I am interested is a cleaner and a cook for $400 per month. If you want equal rights, stay in the UK, with all the other lowlife scum that get paid to do nothing.

We once ruled the world you know...

Yes, when we "ruled the world" we frequently nabbed slave labourers from all round the world to be our cleaners and cooks and do our dirty work.

It couldn't last, and it won't last in Dubai either.

HOLA4415

The negative opinions on this thread remind me how not so great British we are.. I see some envious post of hate, but then thats always been the way on Housepricecrash... The have's, fighting the have not's..

I've worked hard for years, if I come back to the UK and buy a new car luxury car, people will automatically judge me.

As to the slave trade posts,, If a labour want's to leave, he now can... Yes how people are treated here if different, but its far better than their home country..

UK companies for years have been exporting the jobs oversa that they couldn't do cheapily in the Europe.. Make it in Asia, customer service in India... We are still acting as the slave master but from overseas..

PRIME EXAMPLE.. BT customer call centers in India.. BT want to bring them back,, Unions in UK up in arms, " no one will work these hours, for those wages...", " I'd rather be on the dole " ... UK customer " I'm not paying anymore in my bill "...

What are you going to do if China stops exporting,, UK Manufacturing is almost gone,, The mindset of hard work for low wages has been exported by UK companies for years...

The world cannot live like the west,,, personal I support Greenpeace and WWF, for the rights of the planet and all its inhabinates. Rather than hating people for how they think, I try my hardest to change attitudes.. But on some people I can see its hopeless.

Edited by 234SALE

HOLA4416
Only ever been there once but I found the place oppressive, too steeped in the wrong kind of 'culture'..I was constantly worried about inadvertently committing some sort of thought crime, which would earn me 6 months in jail and an amputated arm or such like..

I sincerely hope Dubai is eventually swallowed up by the desert as the world could do with fewer places like it..

My feelings also. I feel sorry for people who invested there, for some of them at least. The prevailing culture is important to me. I don't want to live in a culture which is, imo, less than informed by consideration for others.

As a bit of light relief, take a look at this.

&

Edited by Fly by Night

HOLA4417
My feelings also. I feel sorry for people who invested there, for some of them at least. The prevailing culture is important to me. I don't want to live in a culture which is, imo, less than informed by consideration for others.

As a bit of light relief, take a look at this.

Dubai is a city of contradictions. Its at a turning point right now. Ex-pats are leaving and lots of locals and ex-pat muslims (particularly those who didn't get filthy rich in the upswing) seem to think that it is retribution for a failure to comply with Islamic teachings.

It has a choice it can continue to be outward looking, increase tolerance and learn some humility in which case it might just have an independent future or it can merge in with AD and rely on the oil wealth.

Either way things have to change.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Ive been to Dubai 7 times on holidays. My friend works out there and we stay with him. He rents in Jumeirah 1 which is an area where only the locals can buy in. We see places that the average tourist wouldnt see on a two week holiday.

People have Dubai all wrong on here. It was built to succeed and be the best place in the World. It is clean, the locals are friendly, the service is fantastic, the weather great and most of all..........i can leave my 2 kids by my side and not worry about them getting taken.

If you cant go to a country and accept their laws then you shouldnt go there in the first place. Dubai is hands down a better place to live in than over in the UK. The UK is finished. No morals.

Alot of people made alot of money in Dubai. It is now affordable and will bounce back. I have no doubt. You only have to go there to realise. It was built not to fail and I believe it wont.

Yes it is OTT but thats what it was built for. Lets face it, you can Ski in a shopping mall. WTF! But.........once you have done it you will appreciate the vision and see the pleasure on the faces of people that have never seen snow let alone be able to ski on it.

You cant gamble, perverts are hung, wives CAN walk around shopping malls with skirts on, debtors are jailed, you cant walk the streets with a beer in your hand acting like a twit and if you drop litter then you are dealt with accordingly. Graffiti, rape, murder, shootings, knifings? NON EXISTANT!

Why would you not want to go? The only threat that Dubai faces is the fact that Iran is a stone throw away.

Its a great place and just as the financial market has taken a downturn there does not make it a bad place. Everywhere will bounce back one day and those that can exploit their low prices should go and cash in.

If you are that small minded then you shouldnt go. If you want to expierience a place where humans live in a lawful regieme then jump on that Emirates 777 and have a ball. Its a beautiful place. Not a naturally beautiful place but man made.... built to the requirements that people will appreciate and come back to.

I rest my case....phew. Rant over.

HOLA4420
I have no doubt. You only have to go there to realise. It was built not to fail and I believe it wont.

Ironic that Dubai is offered called 'the eighth wonder of the world'.

Hanging Gardens of Babylon - vanished without a trace

Statue of Zeus at Olympia - destroyed by fire

Great Pyramid of Giza - Stripped of it's facing stones for other construction

Temple of Artemis - Burned down by an arsonist

Tomb of Mausolus - Stripped and destroyed by the crusaders to build defensive fortifications

Colossus of Rhodes - Destroyed by an earthquake

Lighthouse of Alexandria - Damaged in earthquake and then used for building a castle

It would appear that nature & humanity doesn't treat wonders of the world very well, as for buying overpriced property on a man-made sandbank in the middle of the sea....

Still, prices only ever go up. ;)

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
Oh this thread has been moved where is it now i cant find it, i was interested in all the diferent opinions i am still considering a holiday there.

if you couldn,t find it, how did you post THIS?

ENJOY YOUR HOLIDAY PLEASE DON,T COME BACK.

HOLA4425
Ive been to Dubai 7 times on holidays. My friend works out there and we stay with him. He rents in Jumeirah 1 which is an area where only the locals can buy in. We see places that the average tourist wouldnt see on a two week holiday.

People have Dubai all wrong on here. It was built to succeed and be the best place in the World. It is clean, the locals are friendly, the service is fantastic, the weather great and most of all..........i can leave my 2 kids by my side and not worry about them getting taken.

If you cant go to a country and accept their laws then you shouldnt go there in the first place. Dubai is hands down a better place to live in than over in the UK. The UK is finished. No morals.

Alot of people made alot of money in Dubai. It is now affordable and will bounce back. I have no doubt. You only have to go there to realise. It was built not to fail and I believe it wont.

Yes it is OTT but thats what it was built for. Lets face it, you can Ski in a shopping mall. WTF! But.........once you have done it you will appreciate the vision and see the pleasure on the faces of people that have never seen snow let alone be able to ski on it.

You cant gamble, perverts are hung, wives CAN walk around shopping malls with skirts on, debtors are jailed, you cant walk the streets with a beer in your hand acting like a twit and if you drop litter then you are dealt with accordingly. Graffiti, rape, murder, shootings, knifings? NON EXISTANT!

Why would you not want to go? The only threat that Dubai faces is the fact that Iran is a stone throw away.

Its a great place and just as the financial market has taken a downturn there does not make it a bad place. Everywhere will bounce back one day and those that can exploit their low prices should go and cash in.

If you are that small minded then you shouldnt go. If you want to expierience a place where humans live in a lawful regieme then jump on that Emirates 777 and have a ball. Its a beautiful place. Not a naturally beautiful place but man made.... built to the requirements that people will appreciate and come back to.

I rest my case....phew. Rant over.

Yes, yes. I have lived there and what you say is true up to a point BUT:

1. Those who get pregnant out of wedlock are sent to prison meanwhile prostitution on a scale and level of openness I have seen few places except vegas is tolerated.

2. The conditions of the labourers are truly appalling.

3. It is no sense a democracy and abuse of power and corruption is incredibly rife. There is no free press and censorship is severe.

4. Its safe but its not as safe as people make out (particularly if you happen to be a grain merchant from Afghanistan but that is another story). Rape and murder do happen. Not necessarily reported widely (see 3 above) but they do happen. Graffiti is quite common in places where there isn't the cash to fund a ready supply of cheap labour to clean it off again.

It has its plus points (mainly to do with low tax and cheap domestic help) but it also has huge flaws. As I said above it is at a cross roads it either properly opens to the west (with all that entails) and hopes to take its place as a true world city or it withers into the shadow of its oil rich neighbours.