House Price Crash Forum

Jobless Graduate Sues Her College

HOLA441

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8180806.stm

A New York woman who says she cannot find a job is suing the college where she obtained a bachelor's degree, the New York Post reports.

Trina Thompson, 27, filed a lawsuit last week against Monroe College in Bronx Supreme Court. She is seeking to recover $70,000 (£42,000) she spent on tuition to get her information technology degree. Monroe College spokesman Gary Axelbank said Ms Thompson's lawsuit was "completely without merit".

The ex-student, who received her degree in April, says the college's Office of Career Advancement did not provide her with the leads and career advice it had promised. "They have not tried hard enough to help me," she wrote about the college in her lawsuit.

Her mother, Carol, said her daughter was "very angry at her situation" having "put all her faith" in her college. With her student loans coming due, the family would be saddled with more debt, the graduate's mother added.

Monroe insists it helps its graduates find jobs. "The college prides itself on the excellent career-development support that we provide to each of our students, and this case does not deserve further consideration," its spokesman said.

:blink:

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
Surprised that hasnt happened here. Weve almost as much, maybe even more of an entitlement me me me culture than the yanks.

I'm particularly impressed she's decided to do this a mere four months after graduating. Now she's been splashed on the news like this she's going to find things even harder - I wouldn't hire her.

(Of course being a minion myself I don't hire people anyway, but I can fantasise...)

HOLA445
Is an "information technology degree" about computers but for wimmin?

Many years ago when I was in college I heard a conspiracy theory that graphical user interfaces were a male plot to disadvantage wimmin - blokes are apparently supposed to be better at handling visual or geometrically presented information than chicks.

It's an interesting idea but I don't buy the conspiracy part. I don't know any ladies running Ubuntu on their machines just so they can type find ~ -iname "*kitten*.jpg" -print into a shell prompt.

Perhaps it's time for a new interface paradigm anyway.

HOLA446
Surprised that hasnt happened here. Weve almost as much, maybe even more of an entitlement me me me culture than the yanks.

The US model of Higher Education is often held up as superior to our own. Having seen the weekend reports on how our universities confer LIAR DEGREES and are aiming to charge students even more for the 'priviledge' we should see more complaints here. I do not see it as an 'entitlement' response, just that our universities have sold sham pearls and often do not do what they promise or are supposed to do.

Having said that, the difficulty of bringing universities to account in this country is huge. The Courts do not like to consider such complaints and the universities complaints system, the Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education is probably not even compliant with Article 8 of the Human Rights Act.

HOLA447
HOLA448

This is a classic case of our society, to be honest.

She's been given the impression (but almost certainly never been told) that degree = job (decent job at that.)

Now the impression isn't going to come about, she wants restitution for the impression she had which lead her to take the degree in the first place.

The college is obviously going to say that there is no contractual thing in place (and there won't be.)

Where'd she get the impression from then?

Pretty much all her generation have it.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

The university fees bubble was also identified by Celente.

The growth rates mean couples today are looking to save a cool $million for every child they think may need to go to university. This isn't sustainable.

What you're seeing is the rolling over of the student debt / university fees bubble. It'll get a lot worse before it gets better.

HOLA4411

It's an interesting idea but I don't buy the conspiracy part. I don't know any ladies running Ubuntu on their machines just so they can type find ~ -iname "*kitten*.jpg" -print into a shell prompt.

That made me lol

HOLA4412
This is a classic case of our society, to be honest.

She's been given the impression (but almost certainly never been told) that degree = job (decent job at that.)

Now the impression isn't going to come about, she wants restitution for the impression she had which lead her to take the degree in the first place.

The college is obviously going to say that there is no contractual thing in place (and there won't be.)

Where'd she get the impression from then?

Pretty much all her generation have it.

I'm guessing her parents told her that degree = good job. Perhaps she should sue them next.

HOLA4413
Guest skullingtonjoe
Many years ago when I was in college I heard a conspiracy theory that graphical user interfaces were a male plot to disadvantage wimmin - blokes are apparently supposed to be better at handling visual or geometrically presented information than chicks.

Perhaps it's time for a new interface paradigm anyway.

If they get part that could they consturct a regex?

if ($make_up_in_car_mirror)=~m/^dumb\s*bint$/i {

print "Watch out! Woman driver!!";

}

:rolleyes:

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

It seems over the top, but had I paid for my degree I think I would have at least complained a bit more.

Suing them would have been fun.

Ten years ago. Lecturers didn't bother and just sent the post grads (grads who couldn't get a job) to 'teach' us. About 1 computer per 4 students (fine if you had the money for a laptop, but a mess if you didn't). Had a dedicated PC (between just 3 of us) for final year project, but it set on fire (no joke) and wasn't replaced. Realised it was all a joke early on, so spent 3 years drinking. Exams could have been passed by a child.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
The US model of Higher Education is often held up as superior to our own. Having seen the weekend reports on how our universities confer LIAR DEGREES and are aiming to charge students even more for the 'priviledge' we should see more complaints here. I do not see it as an 'entitlement' response, just that our universities have sold sham pearls and often do not do what they promise or are supposed to do.

Having said that, the difficulty of bringing universities to account in this country is huge. The Courts do not like to consider such complaints and the universities complaints system, the Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education is probably not even compliant with Article 8 of the Human Rights Act.

I have to agree with this, having interviewed many graduates with supposedly the same 'accredited' qualification the difference between some establishments was astounding, such that I filtered out all further CVs from at least 1 institution.

I also agree that they do promote their services to be more than they are. They should present substantiated facts about employment chances such that it creates a fair picture and not an overly rosey one,although given the educational sectors ability to understand the real world its probably better that they don't say anything. It should be clear to grads that they are making the decision to go with a particular career and it is their responsibility/risk to ensure they get a job. There are so many that think a degree entitles them to a job. Its not so much the skills they want, just the bit of paper that they need to get a well paid job!

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

the driving school scam....several advertising right now.

guarantees you a job when you finish the course

course, you are self employed, work on the leads they give you, you pay for the car, the insurance, the fuel and your own wages.

all the risk is yours.

HOLA4423
the driving school scam....several advertising right now.

guarantees you a job when you finish the course

course, you are self employed, work on the leads they give you, you pay for the car, the insurance, the fuel and your own wages.

all the risk is yours.

Welcome to "Red".

HOLA4424

Server - Dubble post

Edited by erranta

HOLA4425

IT(sic) should be a requirement of all UNi's + colleges to get pupils into a 'workplace' 2 or 3 times a week whilst on a 2-3yr course.

I've known plenty of top Cambridge degree students (claiming the dole) who are completely out of their depth (in the real world) once they are out of the - memorise this out of a book - regurgitate in a cohesive manner pleasing to teacher/professor during exam, culture!

Sue the fekkers!