House Price Crash Forum

Massive House Collapse Shock In Bolton

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

just goes to show just how shit these 100k terrace are. they are total bags of shite and anyone buying into this rubbish would not only have an 'extreme' mortgage for the area, but have repair bills coming out of their butts for the next 25yrs.

these places are sagging, drain collapsing stinking, rotten 100 years + old, on tiny streets with no parking, broken glass, dog shit, hoodified, single mummified no play areas and no open spaced death traps. its basic sustenance living.

oh, and 'only' 100k :lol::lol:

HOLA444
Guest Parry
just goes to show just how shit these 100k terrace are. they are total bags of shite and anyone buying into this rubbish would not only have an 'extreme' mortgage for the area, but have repair bills coming out of their butts for the next 25yrs.

these places are sagging, drain collapsing stinking, rotten 100 years + old, on tiny streets with no parking, broken glass, dog shit, hoodified, single mummified no play areas and no open spaced death traps. its basic sustenance living.

:lol:

HOLA445

I know exactly where this is - right on the border of Whites Smack Alley and Bolton's Swat Valley. Landlord was having dodgy builders in to do the place up - converting upstairs into flats innit (to rent to the white junkies on the DSS, if he's like the rest of the landlords round there). Totally unqualified builders doing a bodged unsafe job, guess what, it fell down - but it's OK, he's paying cash so there'll be no insurance cover, no income tax and absolutely no comeback on anyone except the public purse at all. And it's not a £100K house, the nice solid stone terraces on the other side of the road are not worth £100K, on Halliwell Road this is only a £50K-60K house and that's the most they've been.... not least because of the traffic and white flight.

HOLA446
I know exactly where this is - right on the border of Whites Smack Alley and Bolton's Swat Valley. Landlord was having dodgy builders in to do the place up - converting upstairs into flats innit (to rent to the white junkies on the DSS, if he's like the rest of the landlords round there). Totally unqualified builders doing a bodged unsafe job, guess what, it fell down - but it's OK, he's paying cash so there'll be no insurance cover, no income tax and absolutely no comeback on anyone except the public purse at all. And it's not a £100K house, the nice solid stone terraces on the other side of the road are not worth £100K, on Halliwell Road this is only a £50K-60K house and that's the most they've been.... not least because of the traffic and white flight.

.....and all because he didn't want to pay his council tax.

HOLA447

well, i suppose thats some relief. too bad about the landlord and that ;)

these places need pulling down. new estates of social housing need to be built. instead, they give out OUR mega billions to banks and fred goodwin takes of with a 750k pa pension pot.

were fµcking idiots.

HOLA448
HOLA449

Clear the site, sow some grass, hey presto a new play area for the kiddies.

Simples!

HOLA4410

I live in an Edwardian terrace and I worry that one day someone in my row will slam their front door just a little too hard and my entire world will collapse around my ear'ols in the manner of the property in the clip.

No sooner than a property here is sold, then it is followed by weeks of hammering as skip loads of redundant bricks from supporting walls and chimneybreasts are carted off. Some of the chimney stacks have no support to ground. All the roofs bow and sag having had their original light slates replaced by heavy semi-porous concrete tiles in the 60s and 70s.

Velux windows in the roof indicate the properties who have added the loft as a living space without the bother of, I suspect, planning permission or reinforcing the joists.

I blame all these dopey 'home makeover' TV programmes.

I would caution anyone against buying into old terraces. Your house might be fine but you don't know what the idiots next door have done.

Edited by Son of Fred

HOLA4411
Clear the site, sow some grass, hey presto a new play area for the kiddies.

Simples!

they did do - they knocked down Wolfenden School just near this - it's now a rubble strewn building site. they have knocked down all of the terraces across off Brownlow Way (across from this) - it's a scummy crack den estate full of white trash.

The terraces across the road a gorgeous stone terraces, solid, square and perfect first time homes for people - ruined by some of the people who live around them. There is no need to get rid of the houses, it's the people who need to be cleared.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
so someone just happened to be filming a random building when it unexpectedly fell down...??

I suspect it started bowing visibly so they had to call the emergency services and some builders rapido and the scaffolding went up in an emergency to try to stop it falling - it failed. Hence the scaffolding is trashed.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
they did do - they knocked down Wolfenden School just near this - it's now a rubble strewn building site. they have knocked down all of the terraces across off Brownlow Way (across from this) - it's a scummy crack den estate full of white trash.

The terraces across the road a gorgeous stone terraces, solid, square and perfect first time homes for people - ruined by some of the people who live around them. There is no need to get rid of the houses, it's the people who need to be cleared.

Hey Rachman-steady on. My older sister lives on Chorley Old Road. Hope she's not included in your clearance plans!

HOLA4416

Tax rebates (or welfare checks) for every sterilisation/vasectomy on everybody older than 13 with no kids. At least the problem dies with them.

HOLA4417

:lol: It's comments like this that make me so proud of my home town.

(Sadly all true).

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

There's a shock, no planning and taking the michael - who'd a thunk it..... - an Asian in Bolton flouting planning laws to do what he wants and doing it on the cheap and the sly and doing it badly. How unusual.....

THE owner of a building which collapsed taking another one down with it could face prosecution.

Bolton Council believes Akhtar Hussain-Bagasi was carrying out unauthorised work on the terrace building in Halliwell Road, Halliwell, before it crumbled.

Head of Bolton Council’s building control, Peter Smith, said: “We have checked our records and the work had not been given building regulations approval or planning permission.

“We will be talking to our legal department to find out what happened and will be advised whether to prosecute.â€

The council’s building inspectors visited the site on Monday after complaints from neighbouring Exquisite Blinds that cracks had begun to appear in the partitioning walls.

The inspectors advised work to stop and returned to the site the next day — but officers reported that it appeared more excavation had taken place.

Scaffolding was put up to support the front of the building after movement of the basement walls.

Falling masonry is also thought to have cracked a gas pipe in the property, with the escaping gas adding to the danger before workers from National Grid could stop the leak.

But after internal bricks began to fall, work was stopped and workers taken off the scaffolding. Mr Smith also stopped traffic on grounds of safety.

“Three to four minutes after work stopped the building collapsed,†said Mr Smith, who said initial investigations indicated Mr Hussain-Bagasi had created extra storeys in the building.

Mr Hussain-Bagasi said: “My sympathies are with those who have lost their livelihoods. The weight of the traffic has led to the movement of the pavement which caused this to happen. The work I was carrying out did not need planning permission. I am 100 per cent sure what happened was not because of the work I was carrying out. â€

He added: “I’m so shocked and devastated with what has happened to my neighbours.â€

Yesterday, as the clean-up operation began, devastated neighbouring business owners and landlords were counting the cost of the collapse.

Fighting back tears, Gita Patel, whose husband Naz owns Halliwell Food and Wines which was all but destroyed, said: “My customers have been great and have been checking on me and my family.

“The emergency services were really good. I’m just glad no-one was injured.

“We have been in the area for 20 years and had this shop for 10 years. It is such a shock and it is a waiting game now to see what will happen.â€

Exquisite Blinds landlord Rafiq Yusuf, of Great Lever, said: “I did not sleep at all the night it happened. I don’t know what will happen now.â€

A temporary road closure is still in place on Halliwell Road and motorists are being warned to avoid the area until the end of tomorrow.

The road between Wolfenden Street and Brownlow Way is closed to traffic and local diversions are in place. Motorists are advised to use Blackburn Road as an alternative route. Bus diversions are also in place for numbers 525 and 527. These services will be rerouted along Blackburn Road and Moss Bank Way.

The road is expected to open by late tomorrow.

schaudhari@the boltonnews.co.uk

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

"The work I was carrying out did not need planning permission. I am 100 per cent sure what happened was not because of the work I was carrying out. â€

It's a shame that building regs were though.

Perhaps as our public duty we should report all works going on. It all needs building regs these days, you do anything more than take a layer of dust off a windowsill and you require permission from the council.

And for good reason when you see idiots like this trash places.

We viewed a terrace a while back - they wanted 89k for it and it's trashed. needs gutting, and the floor bounced upstairs like no ones business. was getting sea sick when someone walked on it. It's SSTC and will be interested to see how long they take doing the work and whether the compete stripping out of internal walls downstairs brings the place down.

People often think terraces will be sound because they have a house on either side... well this sort of vid shows they're not! :)

HOLA4423
Mr Hussain-Bagasi said: “My sympathies are with those who have lost their livelihoods. The weight of the traffic has led to the movement of the pavement which caused this to happen. The work I was carrying out did not need planning permission. I am 100 per cent sure what happened was not because of the work I was carrying out. â€

Pure genius! :lol:

HOLA4424
There's a shock, no planning and taking the michael - who'd a thunk it..... - an Asian in Bolton flouting planning laws to do what he wants and doing it on the cheap and the sly and doing it badly. How unusual.....

It reminds me of one of the few episodes of that Sarah Beeny program I saw with some money grabbing Asian lady (she reminded me so much of an old landlady I had the misfortune to come across I had to stay watching).

She was trying to convert what was a very nice town house into somthing like 10 bedrooms and even was going to put two rooms in what was in effect a garden shed. When Ms Beeny questioned her about planning permission the LL didnt have a clue, or consider that getting people to sleep in a garden shed was in anyway an issue.

She was so tight that she expected them to use what appeared to be a cupboard as a living room and started renting rooms out even when the job was only half done.

Quite why and how we in such a situation is an embarrasment. Amateurs should not be allowed to get away with this kind of sh*t.

HOLA4425
It reminds me of one of the few episodes of that Sarah Beeny program I saw with some money grabbing Asian lady (she reminded me so much of an old landlady I had the misfortune to come across I had to stay watching).

She was trying to convert what was a very nice town house into somthing like 10 bedrooms and even was going to put two rooms in what was in effect a garden shed. When Ms Beeny questioned her about planning permission the LL didnt have a clue, or consider that getting people to sleep in a garden shed was in anyway an issue.

She was so tight that she expected them to use what appeared to be a cupboard as a living room and started renting rooms out even when the job was only half done.

Quite why and how we in such a situation is an embarrasment. Amateurs should not be allowed to get away with this kind of sh*t.

that was the house on the Finchley Road, IIRC, an absolutely shoddy terrible job too, again IIRC. Slum landlording as usual....