House Price Crash Forum

Newquay - Market Collapsed...'surfpods' Unsold, Unfinished...

HOLA441
What, so just because they had steam engines in their tin mines a few 100 years ago, people looking for non-existant work in Cornwall should stay put just in case ... what? Someone needs them to make steam engines :lol:

Thankyou very much for pointing out the bigotry and stupidity of my post, i'm obviously not really singing from the same songbook as you, maybe my conditioning programme failed somehow?? Meanwhile, worker-slaves in the south east pay the benefits of the resting steam-engine attendants :rolleyes:

I think you missed the point. ;)

A hotel room will take 2/3 people, over say 20 weeks of the year. 2.5*20 = 50 spending units per year, and a successful business employing locals.

Or....

Turn it into some to$$ers holiday flat and you get 2/3 people for 2 weeks in the year. 2.5*2=5 spending units per year.

Doh!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Guest happy?
What, so just because they had steam engines in their tin mines a few 100 years ago, people looking for non-existant work in Cornwall should stay put just in case ... what? Someone needs them to make steam engines :lol:

Thankyou very much for pointing out the bigotry and stupidity of my post, i'm obviously not really singing from the same songbook as you, maybe my conditioning programme failed somehow?? Meanwhile, worker-slaves in the south east pay the benefits of the resting steam-engine attendants :rolleyes:

You caricatured Cornwall as some "shire" which people abandoned at the beginning of the industrial revolution - I pointed-out your error. A world-view based on political soundbites and ignorance of events may be a comfort to you but it would sure scare the hell out of me.

Judging by your follow-up posting you're obviously content with an economy distorted by mis-judged risk and think it a free market. I've never been a fan of Norman Tebbit - but I don't believe for one minute he'd swallow that one.

Financial fraud and misjudged risk have been the curse of the last decade - distorting markets and destroying local economies across Britain. Risible ideas like 'surfpods' and 'funky micro-homes' are emblematic of mass delusion.

Why you'd want to defend that delusion in the name of the working of a free economy passes me by.

HOLA443
Strangely, most people in Pembrokeshire don't know the name of their sea. It's the Celtic Sea of course. 99% of the time, Pembrokeshire folk call it the Irish Sea. Talk about geographical ignorance!

Renewables can only prosper on the back of massive subsidies and R&D from the energy industry. The recession seems to be knocking alot of this on the head.

The real problem is that our energy systems have become increasingly akin to a monoculture. In this case our monocrop is oil and gas (increasingly imported) with no adequate substitutes being developed.

Over reliance on one crop - Irish potato famine being a good example.

Developing marine resources would diversify our energy supplies albeit at a higher price. Another great thing about filling the celtic sea with wave and wind generators is that it would make it impossible for Spanish, French, Russia klondiker fishing vessels to pillage our fish stocks. Hey we might even revive the old SW tuna industry.

HOLA444

Can someone explain to me what the middle class fascination with Cornwall is? I mean, I know it's beautiful and all that (and I agree with HV Morton when he says the churchyard of St Just-In-Roseland is the most beautiful in England - but it's six frigging hours from London! You get lovely countryside, beaches etc in north Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk, not much more than an hour by train or car from London, they seem less spoiled and touristy as well. Oh well, actually I don't mind if the Aga brigade all troop down the M4 if it leaves East Anglia a bit quieter!

HOLA445
HOLA446
Can someone explain to me what the middle class fascination with Cornwall is? I mean, I know it's beautiful and all that (and I agree with HV Morton when he says the churchyard of St Just-In-Roseland is the most beautiful in England - but it's six frigging hours from London! You get lovely countryside, beaches etc in north Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk, not much more than an hour by train or car from London, they seem less spoiled and touristy as well. Oh well, actually I don't mind if the Aga brigade all troop down the M4 if it leaves East Anglia a bit quieter!

BLOODY HELL ..

Someone other than me who has not only HEARD of HV Morton but actually quotes him ..

HOLA447
But would they be SERIOUS management ? .. you have to pay BIG money for SERIOUS management ..

They only being asked to (manage) building local houses FFS not managing an international phama or oil company!

How hard do you think it is?

tim

HOLA448

I too have never understood people's fascination with Cornwall ......

The sea is bluer than elsewhere in the UK for some reason and the beaches nicer but those 2 things aside i find it a depressing place......

The countryside doesn't compare to the Yorkshire Dales for example....The weather is dodgy.....and from the economic perspective it's the worst place i've been...In poor parts of northern England for example you could at least commute to a place where job prospects were better but places like Penzance are 180 miles from the nearest big city (Bristol) and about 100 miles from Exeter and Plymouth..........If i raised my children they would almost certainly have to move away to find work.

HOLA449

I too have never understood people's fascination with Cornwall....

the sea is bluer than anywhere else in uk for some reason and the beaches nicer too but these 2 things aside i find Cornwall quite depressing...

The weather is poorer than most other places and the countryside doesn't compare to where i live in the Yorkshire Dales..

and from an economic perspective it must be the UK's bleakest place....

IN most deprived parts of the Uk you could at least commute to an area with better job prospects but towns like Penzance are 180 miles from the nearest big city (Bristol) and about 100 miles from even Plymouth or Exeter...

If i raised my children down there i know they'd have to leave the area to find any work

HOLA4410
They only being asked to (manage) building local houses FFS not managing an international phama or oil company!

How hard do you think it is?

tim

You have NO IDEA .. There are sorts of things that need to be organised .. in fact it's harder than running a phama company .. at least with a Phama company you are working in London so you can just call up and book a restaurant table .. If you are in Swansea you have to organise a helicopter to the fat duck ..

£1/2 a million is a BARGAIN for that sort of expertise ..

HOLA4411
You have NO IDEA .. There are sorts of things that need to be organised .. in fact it's harder than running a phama company .. at least with a Phama company you are working in London so you can just call up and book a restaurant table .. If you are in Swansea you have to organise a helicopter to the fat duck ..

No it's you who has no idea.

Managing a "big" international company requires you to have all the skills and contacts necessary to keep the worldwide markets sweet. This is considerably tougher than you might imagine (and no I can't do it!)

As the manager of a local property develoeper, all you have to do is negotiate with local suppliers. I reckon that I (and several 100,000 others) could manage that.

tim

HOLA4412
BLOODY HELL ..

Someone other than me who has not only HEARD of HV Morton but actually quotes him ..

Not only that, I've also toured part of his route from 'In Search of England' in a sports car...have copies of some of his other books as well. 'Spirit of London' is quite good too, but I do find his endless purple prose gets a little on my nerves sometimes.

Sir John Betjeman on Cornwall is quite good too - I think you can see in his writings why the upper, and aspirant upper middle class English love Cornwall. Perhaps that's why I, as someone definitely not quite 'top drawer' find it all a bit over-romanticised. Too many families from Fulham piling into the Volvo and driving west with the black lab to Rock for my taste.

HOLA4413
No it's you who has no idea.

Managing a "big" international company requires you to have all the skills and contacts necessary to keep the worldwide markets sweet. This is considerably tougher than you might imagine (and no I can't do it!)

As the manager of a local property develoeper, all you have to do is negotiate with local suppliers. I reckon that I (and several 100,000 others) could manage that.

tim

Look .. you really don't seem to get this do you .. and it's starting to piss me off ..

I buy a hotel on the seafront for £1 million .. if I just sat on it for a year (In NORMAL times) I would have been able to sell it on for £1.2 million .. INSTEAD of that I'm investing huge amounts of the banks money by converting into flats .. NOT ONLY do I create employment for half the population of Crakow, but my wife is continually having to fly off to New York or Morroco to get interior design ideas for the flats and that plays MERRY HELL with my personal life i can tell you .. The other day I got a call from the first class lounge at Marakesh airport from a tear stricken wife telling me that her plane had been delayed and she didn't know how long for .. So I nip round to my bit on the sides place (That does not come cheap I can tell you) and then the bloody mobile rings .. The wife managed to get another flight and is home and wondering where I am. The boss of a FTSE 100 company does not have that problem ..

What does the boss of BP do ? Send people out to look for oil .. find it .. stick it in those tanker things .. pump it into peoples cars .. Piece of piss .. anyone could do it ..

******** to you .. This poxy recession that you lot started now means we may have to rent out our flats for the next six months till the property recovers from IDIOTS suggesting that a one bedroom flat is not worth 1/4 million pounds ..

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
But would they be SERIOUS management ? .. you have to pay BIG money for SERIOUS management ..

Two points, paying 'Big money' does not guarantee you you get 'Serious management' and 100k will get you the right person. Your 500k and 250k for his wife is ludicrous, I don't think you have ever been in the position of truly knowing about this subject! I have. A lot depends on what scale of course, but in today's climate, you have a multitude of high level management who would tear your arm off for 100k a year.

HOLA4417
Two points, paying 'Big money' does not guarantee you you get 'Serious management' and 100k will get you the right person. Your 500k and 250k for his wife is ludicrous, I don't think you have ever been in the position of truly knowing about this subject! I have. A lot depends on what scale of course, but in today's climate, you have a multitude of high level management who would tear your arm off for 100k a year.

If you need to lose money on the scale that these developments are going to lose money .. believe me you NEED to pay that sort of money ..

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

All I know for sure is that these days, if you have any sort of SERIOUS job that NEEDS DOING NOW and you don't want some f***wit wearing CLOWN PAINT ALL OVER HIS FACE while he p***es your money away through GROSS INCOMPETENCE then you need to be stumping up 250-500k MINIMUM. This is true in any job in the public or private sectors.

And that is an INDISPUTABLE FACT.

HOLA4420
If Pelemis wave generators and floating wind turbines are scaleable then Cornwall is in for a big industrial boost as the Celtic Sea is the ideal location for deployment. This would also massively benefit South Wales including its steel industry.

Lets hope for offshore renewables to displace bollux ponzi scheme economies that have proliferated the cornish coast in the last decade.

There's also the potential for Uranium mining, should we want full energy independence.

HOLA4421

As a Cornishman living "Up Country" this thread has been a nice read first thing in the morning as I sit in my office in a non descript city doing a mundane job after I took Tebbit's advice of getting on my bike, while dreaming of moving back to the motherland. Alas I don't think I'll bother.

HOLA4422
Can someone explain to me what the middle class fascination with Cornwall is?....... but it's six frigging hours from London! ...............Oh well, actually I don't mind if the Aga brigade all troop down the M4 if it leaves East Anglia a bit quieter!

Being 6 hours away from London is a plus point in my book.

Just a shame we can't shift East Anglia a bit further away from the filthy hole.

HOLA4423

Good point. There are so many resources close-at-hand for SENIOR management in London - for example, prostitutes are clearly advertised in every phone box and it's no more than a short, lunchtime, taxi ride to a fully-equipped dungeon

Your poor Cornish developer would have to travel miles to find a good dominatrix.

Edited by dryrot

HOLA4424

Cornwall has a special place in the hearts of the middle classes because it's where you went on holiday as a child.

And, unlike Yorkshire and so on, it's sunny - palm trees and everything.

Re: "on your bike"; that's simple labour mobility for you; foundation of a free market.

HOLA4425
Good point. There are so many resources close-at-hand for SENIOR management in London - for example, prostitutes are clearly advertised in every phone box and it's no more than a short, lunchtime, taxi ride to a fully-equipped dungeon

Your poor Cornish developer would have to travel miles to find a good dominatrix.

I hear there is a shortage of rent boys in the south west as well ..