House Price Crash Forum

Immigration To Britain Stalls As Foreign Workers Flee Recession

HOLA441

A good proportion of the indigenous population have had enough, expecting more of the same form the next government and/or not willing to stick around to pick up the bill for this mess or finance a lifestyle in their country).

Does this count as the next shoe to drop, or a whole shoe shop being cleared out?

http://www.themovechannel.com/news/841434e7-35a6/

Mass exodus from UK

Friday, May 15, 2009

Catherine Deshayes

New research has found that a whopping 11 million Brits are thinking of taking a job overseas within the next two years - a significant dent in the population - and a fifth of those would choose a new life down under...

Britain is experiencing the greatest exodus of its own nationals in recent history while immigration is at unprecedented levels, new figures show.

Edited by OnlyMe

HOLA442
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/may/20/i...-britain-stalls

A total of 91,450 citizenship ceremonies were held in 2008, down by 24% on the figure for 2007, which was the first year in which the ceremonies were held.

Factually incorrect, citizenship ceremonies were already held in 2006. They probably only started to have numbers starting from 2007 onwards.

HOLA443
HOLA444
A good proportion of the indigenous population have had enough, expecting more of the same form the next government and/or not willing to stick around to pick up the bill for this mess or finance a lifestyle in their country).

Does this count as the next shoe to drop, or a whole shoe shop being cleared out?

http://www.themovechannel.com/news/841434e7-35a6/

Mass exodus from UK

Friday, May 15, 2009

Catherine Deshayes

New research has found that a whopping 11 million Brits are thinking of taking a job overseas within the next two years - a significant dent in the population - and a fifth of those would choose a new life down under...

Britain is experiencing the greatest exodus of its own nationals in recent history while immigration is at unprecedented levels, new figures show.

No vested interest there then!?

I seem to remember that during the early 90's according to one survey 50% of Brits said that they would leave if they could. Out of 11 million, I wonder how many will actually go?

HOLA445
In theory it is possible.

But it has never been successful over any length of time in the recorded history of humanity. ;)

In practice though, it requires an intergenerational shift of a lifetimes worth of savings. In otherwords, at the moment, we pay for our parents pensions and welfare, our children and immigrants pay for us, etc etc etc.

This would have to change to a model where we not only pay for ourselves, but also pay for our parents. Whilst the next generation then only have to pay for themselves.

No government will inflict that level of economic pain on a population, and survive to get re-elected. It will have to be done over several generations, and even then would be painful enough to be unpalatable to most.

Stable population will happen at some point. Not in my lifetime though.

Maybe you could encourage high earning transitory workers who provide a net tax revenue for the country, but have no real plan to retire in the UK. They could help the transition phase without adding to the future demand.

Ideally their production would require little more than the human capital and most of the revenue would come from outside the UK. I've racked my brains and all I can come up with are Financial Institutions, or some kind of 'Knowledge Economy', I'm obviously not thinking hard enough.

On the other hand, maybe it is enough, it just requires the host country to not invest it's own money in the phoney products and the extra tax income treated as a bonus rather than becoming part of the structural revenue.

HOLA446
No vested interest there then!?

I seem to remember that during the early 90's according to one survey 50% of Brits said that they would leave if they could. Out of 11 million, I wonder how many will actually go?

Thats the problem when they have totaly B@ggered up the UK where could most British people be able to go.

HOLA447
HOLA448
Population has to increase as we've spent all the pensions of those who have retired, and most of those who are still in work. UK-PLC needs a whole new generation of immigrant workers to pay the pensions of everyone else.

This is the "inconvenient truth" that the BNP racists always seem to forget.

We need them more than they need us.

Population growth is ineveitable. It is an absolute economic neccessity.

There's a problem with this. In order for such a scheme to work, it needs high value immigrants that pay far more in tax than they cost, particularly if they have dependents -- ie. an American fund manager who is not non-dom and pays for private medical and private education, rather than a Polish poultry plucker whose kids go to the local state primary. And it really does not need immigrants whose tax contributions are nil, but who use public services.

I once worked out that two minimum wage migrants who settled and had two kids in the UK wouldn't actually provide a net gain to the exchequer for over 20 years, and that is supposing good health on both their and their childrens' parts.

In fact, two minimum wage migrants wouldn't even pay enough in combined income tax and NI pa to cover the cost of one child's primary state education. And for a child born in the NHS, one migrant's minimum wage income tax and NI payments would not even cover the cost of the delivery.

Low paid migrant workers with dependents aren't paying for people's pensions. They aren't even paying for their own costs.

It would be far better, from a public finances point of view, to stop low-paid worker family immigration and pay unemployed British citizen benefits claimants with dependents a full benefits package to take the low-paid jobs. This would lower the public liability costs that immigrant low-paid workers' families would incur to the state.

But they couldn't do this, because of the EU. So the only thing to hope for is that the UK attracts way more American fund managers that don't claim non-dom than it does low paid migrants with kids.

And I don't see that happening any time soon, particularly seeing as reports suggest most of these international high earners are leaving.

This is one of the reasons why I strongly suspect the days of the welfare state as we know it are going to be over pretty soon. We could barely afford the liabilities during the 'boom', and, even considering scrapping ID cards, Trident, and smaller MP's allowances and chasing every tax evader under the sun, there's no way we can carry on at the current levels of liability, particularly during a recession.

We need billions more in revenue to keep it going, unless there is a big cultural sea change or unforeseen event. And we need billions more every year. Something is going to have to give.

HOLA449
net migration to Britain – the number coming to stay for more than a year minus those who are relocating abroad – has fallen from 207,000 to 147,000 over the 12 months to September 2008, compared with the previous year.

Foreign workers are fleeing at a rate of -147,000 a year. :rolleyes:

The headline is just a complete and utter ******ing lie. It's like saying my car has stalled when it's still accellerating.

No you don't get it, all the Spaniards are going back home as their unemployment rate is much lower :rolleyes:

HOLA4410
Guest vicmac64

Yes he does get it - it is a lie and spin - they never knew how many came - so how do they know how many are going home.......

Everything that comes from that Government of Globalist Traitors is a LIE.

No you don't get it, all the Spaniards are going back home as their unemployment rate is much lower :rolleyes:

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
There's a problem with this. In order for such a scheme to work, it needs high value immigrants that pay far more in tax than they cost, particularly if they have dependents -- ie. an American fund manager who is not non-dom and pays for private medical and private education, rather than a Polish poultry plucker whose kids go to the local state primary. And it really does not need immigrants whose tax contributions are nil, but who use public services.

I'd imagine the Polish poultry plucker was making a much more valuable contribution than an American fund manager.

HOLA4413

The UK will find itself swapping highly educated young people for unskilled workers, this is the problem. The population may appear to be growing but the total economic capacity of those coming into the country may well be smaller than is being lost through emigration.

There are now 3.247 million British-born people living abroad, of whom more than 1.1 million are highly-skilled university graduates, say the researchers.

More than three quarters of these professionals have settled abroad for more than 10 years, according to the study by the Organisation of Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).

No other nation is losing so many qualified people, it points out. Britain has now lost more than one in 10 of its most skilled citizens, while overall only Mexico has had more people emigrate.

telegraph

Sure people will try to spin this as being "quintessentially British behavior" or some such nonsense, but the fact is the UK has become a nightmare for 20 and 30 something graduates and skilled workers. Enormous debt burdens, high cost of living, relatively low pay, poor job security, outsourcing culture and punishing levels of taxation. Who can blame them for seeking out a better quality of life?

HOLA4414

Quagmire

Not surprising when you price a generation out any semblance of the lifestyle they saw their parents achieve - basic things, secure tenure and enough money to bring up a kid or two without both partners working so they hardly ever see their kids outside the weekend.

HOLA4415

Then there's the ones that really get worn down by the current system, overpromised, lied to and undercut.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/200...ives-depression

Our son is sullen, angry and behaves oddly

Comments (0)

* The Guardian, Thursday 21 May 2009

* Article history

My husband and I think our eldest son, aged 22, is suffering from clinical depression. He refuses to seek help or speak to a professional about how he feels, but concedes that his behaviour is not "normal". Since leaving college four years ago he has had a couple of jobs, but has done nothing for the last two years. Occasionally, my husband gives him a small sum of money so he doesn't lose contact with his few remaining friends.

I have a happy and supportive marriage and good relationships with my other two children. However, my eldest son is sullen and angry. He says we failed to teach him responsibility and weren't strict enough. He believes he went to a terrible school, that we encouraged him to sit the wrong exams and that his college course was pointless.

I fear that he will still be living with us at 30, stuck in this mire of misery and self-loathing. He sleeps odd hours and avoids contact with us. I have tried hard to involve him in things, but he has accused me of being neurotic and controlling. His personal hygiene sometimes leaves a lot to be desired.

He has said that if we threw him out, he would have to do something, but I would never do that. I confided to him that I had suffered from depression years ago, had sought help and made a full recovery. I'm worn down by anxiety about him and alternate between rage and sadness.

HOLA4416
net migration to Britain – the number coming to stay for more than a year minus those who are relocating abroad – has fallen from 207,000 to 147,000 over the 12 months to September 2008, compared with the previous year.

Foreign workers are fleeing at a rate of -147,000 a year. :rolleyes:

The headline is just a complete and utter ******ing lie. It's like saying my car has stalled when it's still accellerating.

147 ?

We're completely snookered! :lol:

Edited by Thread Killer

HOLA4417