House Price Crash Forum
Injin

Immigration To Britain Stalls As Foreign Workers Flee Recession

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/may/20/i...-britain-stalls

The number of foreign-born workers leaving Britain rose by nearly 30% as the economic recession started to bite last year, according to statistics published today.

The latest official figures confirm that immigration to Britain has stalled, with the number of Polish and other east European migrants registering to work in Britain falling by 50% in January to March this year compared with the same period in 2008.

The number of Polish and other east European workers going home to live doubled in the 12 months to September 2008 as the British economy began to contract.

Overall, estimates from the international passenger survey published today show that net migration to Britain – the number coming to stay for more than a year minus those who are relocating abroad – has fallen from 207,000 to 147,000 over the 12 months to September 2008, compared with the previous year.

Further evidence that the rise in immigration in recent years to Britain has stalled is provided by new national insurance numbers allocated to foreign-born workers in Britain, which are down 7% to 720,000 over the same period.

But the latest Home Office figures show a surge of 27% in asylum applications from those coming to Britain to flee the world's trouble spots, with Zimbabwe and Afghanistan at the top of the list.

The number of new asylum seekers coming to Britain rose by 700 to 5,145 between January and March this year, with 41% given permission to stay on initial decision and a further 26% on appeal.

The figures show that the continued drive to deport foreign prisoners continues to take its toll on the removal figures of failed asylum seekers and other illegal migrants. A total of 15,840 people were removed from Britain between January and March this year. This included 2,805 failed asylum seekers – down 7% – and 13,035 non-asylum cases – down 5%.

The 27% rise in asylum applications to Britain compares with an average increase of just 2% across the whole of the European Union.

The Office of National Statistics said that the international passenger survey showed that the fall in emigration during the second half of 2007 was driven by a decline in emigration of British citizens, whereas the more recent increase in emigration was being driven predominantly by non-British citizens going home in their hundreds of thousands.

The recession is deterring new workers from leaving eastern Europe for Britain. The number of migrants from Poland and seven other new EU members who applied under the workers' registration scheme between January and March this year fell to 23,000 compared with 49,000 over the same period in 2008 and 52,000 in the first months of 2007.

New figures on citizenship published today show that applications for British passports fell by 1% last year to 156,015 with the number being granted British citizenship down 21% to 129,375.

A total of 91,450 citizenship ceremonies were held in 2008, down by 24% on the figure for 2007, which was the first year in which the ceremonies were held.

I am reminded of "the first snows of K - winter" post - this is the start of the second order wave down.

net migration to Britain – the number coming to stay for more than a year minus those who are relocating abroad – has fallen from 207,000 to 147,000 over the 12 months to September 2008, compared with the previous year.

Foreign workers are fleeing at a rate of -147,000 a year. :rolleyes:

The headline is just a complete and utter ******ing lie. It's like saying my car has stalled when it's still accellerating.

Edited by dazednconfused

I've been predicting this for a while - that sooner or later we'd be begging people to stay rather than discouraging them from coming in.

Goodbye then, global economy - it (wasn't especially) nice knowing you.....

I've been predicting this for a while - that sooner or later we'd be begging people to stay rather than discouraging them from coming in.

Goodbye then, global economy - it (wasn't especially) nice knowing you.....

With 2 Million officially unemployed, and the real number without the massaging of statistics more likely to be 3 million, soon to be 4 Million I doubt we will need to be begging people to come from abroad.

The only people begging will be the Government and employers looking for cheap migrant Labour, but then of course the employers are not the ones picking up the tab for their stay are they ?

net migration to Britain – the number coming to stay for more than a year minus those who are relocating abroad – has fallen from 207,000 to 147,000 over the 12 months to September 2008, compared with the previous year.

The headline is just a complete and utter ******ing lie. It's like saying my car has stalled when it's still accellerating.

Yep. In the biggest recession in decades, UK net migration has slowed to only 147K a year, which is only a 25% drop.

Population still growing. 770,000 new NI numbers issued last year, down only 7% form the year before.

Stalled...... :lol::lol::lol::lol: More like decellerated from 100mph to 93mph following slight curve in road.

Yep. In the biggest recession in decades, UK net migration has slowed to only 147K a year, which is only a 25% drop.

Population still growing. 770,000 new NI numbers issued last year, down only 7% form the year before.

Stalled...... :lol::lol::lol::lol: More like decellerated from 100mph to 93mph following slight curve in road.

Oh dear.

On this point I must (generally) agree with Hamish, although his interpretation of the NI numbers figure is rubbish.

Nonetheless a decrease in the rate of new migrants arriving is not the same as them all going home. Just as a decrease in the rate of house price falls is not the same as a rise.

Ouch, that hurt.

You speak for yourself my man!

Me i'm voting BNP as a vote for britsih jobs for british workers and you can swallow the crap about immigrants doing the jobs we don't want ! like doctors, lawyers and lot's of others.

our chavs can do the jobs we don't want thank you very much

You speak for yourself my man!

Me i'm voting BNP as a vote for britsih jobs for british workers and you can swallow the crap about immigrants doing the jobs we don't want ! like doctors, lawyers and lot's of others.

our chavs can do the jobs we don't want thank you very much

Well obviously you're the sort of person who reads things in people's posts that they don't actually say. All I'm pointing out is that the "worry" will switch from immigration to emigration. I didn't say what nationality these people would be, did I?

Peak immigration, along with peak credit, was just another facet of the "globalised" (bubble) economy.

Well obviously you're the sort of person who reads things in people's posts that they don't actually say. All I'm pointing out is that the "worry" will switch from immigration to emigration. I didn't say what nationality these people would be, did I?

Peak immigration, along with peak credit, was just another facet of the "globalised" (bubble) economy.

Sorry i take your point

Guest vicmac64

Not where I live - there seem to be more and more of them coming - I think this is disinformation from a Government that wants Globalisation and that is committed to it.

They tell us the problem is going away when they know fine well it going to get a lot worse as Eastern Europe economies collapse and economic migrants head for the UK 'en masse' for the free handouts they feel they are entitled to from the EU.

Our country and our nation is being deliberately destroyed by those that are GLOBALISTS.

Globalism is TREASON.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/may/20/i...-britain-stalls

I am reminded of "the first snows of K - winter" post - this is the start of the second order wave down.

Edited by vicmac64

Agreed. It was never going to last, how could it? Admittingly this is just pi55ing in the wind, but I'd be surprised if this trend doesn't continue.

Apparently unemployment lags the economic cycle by the best part of year so the unemployment figures might only start to gain real momentum towards the end of 2009.

Apparently the economically inactive figure's about 8 millon (excluding the millions officially unemployed) so it's difficult to see how to support more and more and more..........

Edited by billybong

er...no it's not. It's like saying your car has stopped when actually it's still moving forwards but is decelerating towards rest. Nothing is accelerating anywhere as that would imply faster growth, not higher population.

147,000 into a population of 60 million, it's the end of the world!

Hehe...

Yeah, that's the net rise up to Sept 2008, we could be talking about less than 100,000 in the year up to Sept. 2009.

It's certainly not getting easier for non-EU citizens to get in (legally), getting a visa in getting costlier and more difficult all the time and it's sure to get harder.

We should aim at keeping our population at 60 million or under I think (oops, 61 million already!) but that would upset large corporations, estate agents and Gordon.

We should aim at keeping our population at 60 million or under I think (oops, 61 million already!) but that would upset large corporations, estate agents and Gordon.

And probably the 20 million workers that would be left, having to pay 90% of their wages to support the other 40 million people and a bloated state.

Population has to increase as we've spent all the pensions of those who have retired, and most of those who are still in work. UK-PLC needs a whole new generation of immigrant workers to pay the pensions of everyone else.

This is the "inconvenient truth" that the BNP racists always seem to forget.

We need them more than they need us.

Population growth is ineveitable. It is an absolute economic neccessity.

Hehe...

Yeah, that's the net rise up to Sept 2008, we could be talking about less than 100,000 in the year up to Sept. 2009.

It's certainly not getting easier for non-EU citizens to get in (legally), getting a visa in getting costlier and more difficult all the time and it's sure to get harder.

and small business owners, the average home owner etc.

And probably the 20 million workers that would be left, having to pay 90% of their wages to support the other 40 million people and a bloated state.

Population has to increase as we've spent all the pensions of those who have retired, and most of those who are still in work. UK-PLC needs a whole new generation of immigrant workers to pay the pensions of everyone else.

Who is going to pay their pensions then?

Why is population growth inevitable? Do you really believe that a stable population figure is not possible?

You've fallen for simplistic Labour thinking.

Edited by wickywackywoo

Well obviously the bloated state will no longer be viable. Nor probably will the current level of pension entitlements. This is likely regardless of population growth or non-growth.

Most people seem to have the whole immigration scenario ****-about-tit. Immigration didn't create "wealth". The over-stimulation of credit (accidentally) created mass-immigration.

That credit-spree is all over now.

Who is going to pay their pensions then?

Why is population growth inevitable? Do you really believe that a stable population figure is not possible?

You've fallen for simplistic Labour thinking.

In theory it is possible.

But it has never been successful over any length of time in the recorded history of humanity. ;)

In practice though, it requires an intergenerational shift of a lifetimes worth of savings. In otherwords, at the moment, we pay for our parents pensions and welfare, our children and immigrants pay for us, etc etc etc.

This would have to change to a model where we not only pay for ourselves, but also pay for our parents. Whilst the next generation then only have to pay for themselves.

No government will inflict that level of economic pain on a population, and survive to get re-elected. It will have to be done over several generations, and even then would be painful enough to be unpalatable to most.

Stable population will happen at some point. Not in my lifetime though.

In theory it is possible.

But it has never been successful over any length of time in the recorded history of humanity. ;)

In practice though, it requires an intergenerational shift of a lifetimes worth of savings. In otherwords, at the moment, we pay for our parents pensions and welfare, our children and immigrants pay for us, etc etc etc.

This would have to change to a model where we not only pay for ourselves, but also pay for our parents. Whilst the next generation then only have to pay for themselves.

No government will inflict that level of economic pain on a population, and survive to get re-elected. It will have to be done over several generations, and even then would be painful enough to be unpalatable to most.

Stable population will happen at some point. Not in my lifetime though.

Will you stop it? :angry:

Go back to your normal misinterpretation and spinning of totally inconsequential reports(interesting that trolling and spinning are close cousins in fishing terms) and stop posting things that make sense. The shame of agreeing with you is hard to bear.

There is actually an alternative to what you say - having a miraculous and massive influx of national wealth like Norway and investing it wisely to pay for such a shift. We haven't a lot left to sell though!

er...no it's not. It's like saying your car has stopped when actually it's still moving forwards but is decelerating towards rest. Nothing is accelerating anywhere as that would imply faster growth, not higher population.

Your car is still getting further away from it's starting point. You cannot claim it has stalled until this is no longer true.

Edited by dazednconfused