House Price Crash Forum

Women Vs Men Bbc2 - Pay Differentials

HOLA441

Stumbled on this programme by mistake but it's very interesting to learn that Bolton City Council actually give bonuses to men of up to 50% and Birmingham give bonuses to men of 125% for jobs of the same grade.

Very interesting so far - particularly public interviews - gosh - the world has so not changed!!!

And amazing that they are interviewing kids and testing out their perception of jobs and which should be boys/girls and why they've chosen what they have - and it's role models.

Those of you with kids - particularly with girls - should be watching this!!

Some of it though from the male interviewer is a little bit sexist - surprising since he's a lead journalist so I can only assume his playing a role too for the sake of the programme.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
Stumbled on this programme by mistake but it's very interesting to learn that Bolton City Council actually give bonuses to men of up to 50% and Birmingham give bonuses to men of 125% for jobs of the same grade.

Very interesting so far - particularly public interviews - gosh - the world has so not changed!!!

And amazing that they are interviewing kids and testing out their perception of jobs and which should be boys/girls and why they've chosen what they have - and it's role models.

Those of you with kids - particularly with girls - should be watching this!!

Some of it though from the male interviewer is a little bit sexist - surprising since he's a lead journalist so I can only assume his playing a role too for the sake of the programme.

If women weren't so shit at actually working and instead of making sure little Timmy's grazed knee is O.K / bunking off to make sure, actually did some work then perhaps they'd get paid the same. B)B)B)B)B)B)B)

Edited by GrillsBears

HOLA444

How sad that the two posts fit the stereo type given the strong leads of the two journalists concerned.

In my office - totally male orientated 20:1 ration in my team - and two of them are out on paternity leave - both having begotten girls.

When they come back I will be quizzing them since both have female partners earning more than they are - and the arguments will ensue about who looks after sproglets given the amount of money it costs in child-care.

This programme seems to be raising something there - and that is - what is equality - and how does it affect society today.

I do have male friends who are chosing to look after their kids - since their partners earn more.

In the end it's a purely a financial reason is what I suspect will be the outcome.

But the two replies - if you are genuine - you're obviously single and have no partners!!

HOLA445

There is no pay differential.

This could have been explained in 10 minutes rather than over 2 hours by looking statistically at non-gender differences in contribution to income (hours worked, exposure to risk, years experience, etc). Crap BBC yet again.

Saying women earn less becuase they are women is like saying blacks commit more crime because they are black.

Edited by Pick It Down

HOLA446
How sad that the two posts fit the stereo type given the strong leads of the two journalists concerned.

In my office - totally male orientated 20:1 ration in my team - and two of them are out on paternity leave - both having begotten girls.

When they come back I will be quizzing them since both have female partners earning more than they are - and the arguments will ensue about who looks after sproglets given the amount of money it costs in child-care.

This programme seems to be raising something there - and that is - what is equality - and how does it affect society today.

I do have male friends who are chosing to look after their kids - since their partners earn more.

In the end it's a purely a financial reason is what I suspect will be the outcome.

But the two replies - if you are genuine - you're obviously single and have no partners!!

I assumed that that amount of idiocy couldn't be taken as natural.

I actually don't have a problem with pay equality. I have a problem with two parents having to work to support a family. Personally I reckon we have another wrecked generation on the way. Children bought up by childminders who see their parents for 2 hours a day. Then they wonder why they wouldn't listen to their parents.

Women are welcome to the world of work. For the most part it sucks balls.

HOLA447
HOLA448

It'll be a sad day when we have pay eqality for pay equalities sake.

wasnt there a debate a year or two back when women and men got the same prize money at Wimbledon?

I dont know how it is for tennis, but applying the same rationale to football where obviously men command far more ticket sales than women is barmy political correctness. Sometimes the same job shouldnt have the same wage.

HOLA449

wasnt there a debate a year or two back when women and men got the same prize money at Wimbledon?

I dont know how it is for tennis, but applying the same rationale to football where obviously men command far more ticket sales than women is barmy political correctness. Sometimes the same job shouldnt have the same wage.

Absolutely!

Female strippers should definitely command a higher salary than men! :o

HOLA4410

The Tennis thing is quite obviously wrong

3 set vs 5 sets.

Plus despite shrill protestations to the contrary the men's game attracts more sponsorship and television revenue.

If they want equality let them play the five sets (as they claim they wish to) and see how many people turn up to watch the inevitable 7 hour baseline marathons. Alternatively for true equality lets have an open draw.

If tennis is a product, the men make a superior product and should be paid appropriately.

HOLA4411

I'm just stunned by the replies in this day and age bar one - think it does prove that the programme was timely and given the credit crunch and all it implies for new parents - there are those out there who've just missed the point lock stock and barrel - including this site - where I had previously thought there were enlightened contributors.

May you all beget girls - and then come back to me in 20 years time and say it's all wrong!

HOLA4412

Where I have worked in very competitive work environments you are wary of taking more than a week off because somebody else might get an advantage.

For some of the big companies, e.g. Shell, the top people are expected to be on call to the company at all times. Their time is never their own.

Anybody who is not prepared to give this degree of dedication for 20 years will not reach the top.

Usually it is only men who will do this so they get the top salaries. It's very questionable whether that is a smart way to spend your life but that is why there is no 50:50 gender split at the top. It's not sexism.

HOLA4413

There are many men nowadays that are house husbands by choice, you only have to look around you and see them pushing the push chairs around town, and I have to say they are just as capable of the job than any woman is....us girls take working and caring all in our stride they don't call us multitasked for nothing, juggiling a few balls is nothing to us...and once past the child bearing years, why your world is your oyster. ;)

HOLA4414

I'm not up to speed on the ins and outs of the male/female pay debate so I won't stick my oar in. However an interesting anecdotal today shows that gender equality stil has some way to go.

Doing our notification of marriage bit at the registrars today for our wedding in august. Lots of questions re. age, place of birth all that jazz. One question: father's occupation. Waiting or follow up of mother's occupation...didnt come. Really odd.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Guest Winnie

Heather - great posts. Sadly, most of the men on this site self-select as self-interested epsilon minus semi-morons. What's new? They also think they can get away with pub-type chat behind the puny guise of an avatar. Note that most of these avatars are to do with big boobs or penises - in other words - over-sexed representations of their inadequacy. Men have their uses, it is just up to women to work out at exactly what point they become redundant, when you run down the list, it is sadly, quite quickly. :lol:

HOLA4417

Despite the headline - I raised this post based on the fact that already in Councils - although all jobs are graded - and supposedly grades are adhered to and applied to overall - that it turns out that Councils are awarding BONUSES - to male employees and ONLY male employees.

This is being championed by lawyers - and so this will hit the headlines - perhaps later rather than sooner since it involves women.

But for a long time now I've wondered how friends of mine who are employed by the Council do look after those of us with degenerative diseases - on lesser grades than the bin-men - are given the salary they are as most are women.

I've also know men who thought that - after redundancy recently - that doing a female orientated job as a carer was an easy job - and have quit within a week - because it was physically too "hard" - and they didn't see why they should be paid so little for such "physical" work.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
Heather - great posts. Sadly, most of the men on this site self-select as self-interested epsilon minus semi-morons. What's new? They also think they can get away with pub-type chat behind the puny guise of an avatar. Note that most of these avatars are to do with big boobs or penises - in other words - over-sexed representations of their inadequacy. Men have their uses, it is just up to women to work out at exactly what point they become redundant, when you run down the list, it is sadly, quite quickly. :lol:

Nice balanced post there :blink:

I'm off to look for the big boob avatars.

There was a grand total of one at the last count.

HOLA4421
No matter how much we push for equality, men will never be able to give birth. It's so unfair!

I don't think they could cope with the pain...look the birth is the easy bit, it's what comes after is what the men need to face up to and take responsibility for...they can't run or hide away from a life they made and brought into the world...equal pay for equal accountability. ;)

HOLA4422

I love how birds take everything so personally and seriously !!

Let's have a thread with a few birds saying disparaging comments about us blokes. The replies ? Probably along the lines of "Whatever".

You birds need to chill out.

HOLA4423
Nice balanced post there :blink:

I'm off to look for the big boob avatars.

There was a grand total of one at the last count.

I can think of two. Cracking. Why don't the angry birds just put on pics of hunky blokes to even it up.

You see, I don't think they get it. We wouldn't give a flying ******. :lol:

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

There is no point any man making a sensible point on this thread, it will be shot down by a woman incapable of seeing her own sex based positive discrimination, which rather proves the sensible posters points, ironically. Again the irony will also be lost.