House Price Crash Forum

A Builder Rang Me Yesterday

HOLA441
200 grand to live next to council housing? Don't do it. You need to live somewhere where people own their own properties and look after them. Unfortunately this does not apply to council housing estates in most instances.

Just go to any new build development and look at the OO bit then look at the council bit and you will see a striking difference.

Speaking as a working class background person made good I'm sorry to say that I agree with you also.

There isn't the same incentive to keep the garden etc nice is there?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
Speaking as a working class background person made good I'm sorry to say that I agree with you also.

There isn't the same incentive to keep the garden etc nice is there?

What I find with most social housing developments is that it only takes a few really sh-t families to muck the whole place up.

Got a mate who lives on a really nice few year old social housing estate. About a quarter of the places are totally abused by the people in them and that spoils it for everyone else. A few people on there have moved out and rented privately at a much higher cost to get away from the people that they do not want to be near. When the subject of social housing comes up my mate always says the same two things ,

1 do these people who live here and abuse the place know wtf they have been given

2 If I had the money and was buying privatley I would not want to live with the people that i live with now.

HOLA443

It's worth remembering that ALL new-build estates, no matter how nice they look, will soon have a large number of council/social housing properties in them. Usually the houses are the ones at the very back of the new estate, so make sure you have a good look around.

The reason for this is simple... when builders have no-one else to sell to, they will sell whatever they have left that is habitable to the Local Housing Authourity, who are legally obliged to buy them. Yes the houses will be sold at a discount, but for no less than the surrounding houses instantly become worth.

This happened last time too. It's the sign that the end of the boom has arrived.

Once the builders sell to the LHA, they have given up any prospect of private sales, even at heavy disounts, and have written any futher planned properties off as a bad idea.

HOLA444
Errr. I'll give you 10,000,000/1 odds that the bloke put the phone down, laughed his head off and said ' Another messer with no dough'.

You'll be begging for this house at £220,000 in 6 months time but you'll have missed the boat.

You'll probably afford a 2 bed manky flat then for that.

Sibley, why do you say such ludicrous things?

You sound angry. An angry troll. Control yourself.

HOLA445
He said that I'd looked at one of his houses a few months ago. He said that it was £250000.

I said well I had looked at one of your houses but it was £220000 not £250000.

He said yes that's right it was reduced from £250000.

I said was it?

He said yes.

I said Oh!

Anyway, he said it's still available if you want it.

I said no thanks.

He said I'll accept £200000.

I said no thanks. I said I offered you £200000 three months ago and you turned me down. I said house prices have come down since then.

He said make me an offer.

I said £140000.

He thought for a while and said I don't think that I can accept £140000.

I said OK then.

What's the betting that he'll ring me up in a few months time offering me the house for £140000?

In your dreams :P

HOLA446
This is a 4 bedroomed house on 3 levels. The rooms are on the small side. The estate is also very cramped. But the ambience is nice.

It's in Leicestershire on the north side of the city.

This isn't a few days later though it is quite a while later. There's loads of building going on in this area.

Hamilton (the place Not the F1 driver !)?

HOLA447
It's all your fault on here.

Any fool can see we are over the worst of this recession and things are on the up.

BUT........you still keep banging on the same old drum that UK will crash and burn and all you lot will get lovely houses at 90% off.

I thought the Jehova Witnesses were mental with their idea's of salvation but HPC :blink:

Hey Sibbers

it would be a dull place without you

we love you man

but you are bonkers :P

HOLA448

Any fool can see we are over the worst of this recession and things are on the up.

BUT........you still keep banging on the same old drum that UK will crash and burn and all you lot will get lovely houses at 90% off.

I thought the Jehova Witnesses were mental with their idea's of salvation but HPC :blink:

Riiight.

HOLA449

So Sibley you think that everything is on the up. You don't think a 190% increase in house prices in 10 years is too much then, that everything will go back to those days. Your not worried or concerned that the UK per capita are the highest in debt of any country on this planet. Ireland and Spain being 2nd and third. That unemployment is predicted to continue to increase. Your not bothered about earnings to house price ratios then? You have children do you? You love the thought of kids unable to even think about affording a home? You get a stiffy on just thinking about how much property might go up, well sorry, your going to be limp for a long time yet. The bubble burst as it had to and a drop of 23% or whatever is not a lot considering all the issues and facts.

For what it is worth I made my funds from mainly commercial property, got out both times before the busts, but I never sat there counting on the continued madness of HPI. To me the BTL mortgages were a big mistake. People like you are missing the whole point of life, why you want high property prices is a total enigma to me. You could have low prices and drive around in an e-type jag, go on several holidays a year, have security for life, but no, you want booms that lead to busts. Get a life Sibley!

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Errr. I'll give you 10,000,000/1 odds that the bloke put the phone down, laughed his head off and said ' Another messer with no dough'.

You'll be begging for this house at £220,000 in 6 months time but you'll have missed the boat.

Nice to meet you Sibley.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
I think you'll find high property prices is what the UK economy is all about.

We got fed up of sticky back plastic kitchens and coucil houses years ago. We like nice things nowadays.

You can keep your E type.

Actually sticky backed plastic kitchens is exactly what's in this property that I'm talking about.

I'm having difficulty finding a good enough quality house to buy.

I haven't seen any brand new houses that are good enough to be honest. The build quality is appalling. And not only that the rooms are just toooooo blooming small.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
I think you'll find high property prices is what the UK economy is all about.

We got fed up of sticky back plastic kitchens and coucil houses years ago. We like nice things nowadays.

You can keep your E type.

Sibley, you just don't get do you, "We like nice things nowadays" your nice thing being a house is no nicer being worth double what it is, it's the same house still. What you or the majority of people end up doing is struggling to pay for the said house. You have to do without the nice things in life such as dinning out etc etc etc. Your comment is nonsensical, but no change there! "sticky back kitchens" WTF is that about? I only listed a few facts but very important ones, there is a much longer list of facts albeit "sticky back kitchens" aren't on my list.

The bears and probably and few bulls here will notice that you failed to comment on my statements of a few of the problems we face, including how much prices went up. Tell me Sibley, have you ever admitted to anyone including yourself that your have been wrong? You failed to answer the issue about the kids with no hope of owning a property! Your extremely selfish and shortsighted as well as ignorant on simple economics. If you are unable to contribute a reasoned argument I suggest you don't comment at all.

Edited by Tim Miller

HOLA4420
At 140k I would suspect he would have a family member or friend who would take it at the price, so I bet he doesnt ring you up again.

I've just read a post from 6 months back on another forum about another house.

Someone claiming if you could convince the seller to sell it at the lower price, an EA would probably get a family member or friend to buy. Then bung the EA a few quid in thanks for his help.

That house still on the market, and now reduced to a much lower asking price of than that of their cunning plan.

Family and friends. It is just about finding a rare one who doesn't already own a house, has savings, who can qualify for a mortgage, and who isn't fearful about their own employment prospects.

Sellers are chasing fewer and fewer of them with their asking prices, and cutting those asking prices to attract one. When they land one, and accept a lower amount in order to make the sale, the lower amount brings down the value of all other houses. And on it goes.

HOLA4421
If house prices rise then parents are in a position to help their kids.

House price falls and NE means nobody wins. If the economy is rubbish people can't get on the ladder anyway because they can't get a mortgage.

Parents. They shouldn't have to. Not all kids are lucky enough to have parents who would give them money. Many have to find their own way. Parents interfering and passing on big money to help kids also pushes prices up for everyone.

Only people buying at higher prices forces up prices and values for everyone. That is the only force that makes house prices rise. Nothing else.

How anyway? By releasing equity and adding a further £50K or £100K mortgage to their own homes?

When values fall, you need a smaller mortgage to buy. Where once before you needed £150K mortgage for one FTB, they may be able to write 3 mortgages for FTBs only needing £50K.

Cast your eyes on this 2 bed place I've just seen in one of the nicer villages round here. Bit out of FLB's price range but lovely property.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2OAGS-Detached-in-ME...%3A1%7C294%3A50

It is also new on Rightmove at the same price. 2 bed detached.

HOLA4422

House price falls and NE means nobody wins. If the economy is rubbish people can't get on the ladder anyway because they can't get a mortgage.

It's hard for anyone to save at the moment and 100% mortgages were a lifeline to young couples. They are a good thing not bad.

Oh by the way. I told you Maidstone houses weren't dropping a penny.

Cast your eyes on this 2 bed place I've just seen in one of the nicer villages round here. Bit out of FLB's price range but lovely property.

If house prices rise, how exactly are parents meant to help their kids?

100% mortgages are NOT a good thing. Fact of life.

Maidstone houses aren't dropping a penny? Like, whatever.

That house - any particular reason for posting it?

HOLA4423

sibley. why are you here?

HOLA4424

It's hard for anyone to save at the moment and 100% mortgages were a lifeline to young couples. They are a good thing not bad.

Oh by the way. I told you Maidstone houses weren't dropping a penny.

I think sometimes we forget where we are coming from.

100 years ago, normal ordinary people, were spending far too much money on their homes. At the time this was rent not buying. Housing was inadequate and cost (in relation to income) a lot of money. There was not enough money left for other important things like food, clothes, heating etc.

With progress, there was a policy of providing affordable housing for people. As a result quality of life improved. People were healthier and happier.

Never forget where we have come from. Having expensive over inflated house prices is not good for anyone.

HOLA4425
I think sometimes we forget where we are coming from.

100 years ago, normal ordinary people, were spending far too much money on their homes. At the time this was rent not buying. Housing was inadequate and cost (in relation to income) a lot of money. There was not enough money left for other important things like food, clothes, heating etc.

With progress, there was a policy of providing affordable housing for people. As a result quality of life improved. People were healthier and happier.

Never forget where we have come from. Having expensive over inflated house prices is not good for anyone.

Utter claptrap!

NEVER attribute progress to any policy of government. Government policy has always a completely different effect to the 'stated' objective.

Edited by Where is my pen?