House Price Crash Forum

A Builder Rang Me Yesterday

HOLA441

He said that I'd looked at one of his houses a few months ago. He said that it was £250000.

I said well I had looked at one of your houses but it was £220000 not £250000.

He said yes that's right it was reduced from £250000.

I said was it?

He said yes.

I said Oh!

Anyway, he said it's still available if you want it.

I said no thanks.

He said I'll accept £200000.

I said no thanks. I said I offered you £200000 three months ago and you turned me down. I said house prices have come down since then.

He said make me an offer.

I said £140000.

He thought for a while and said I don't think that I can accept £140000.

I said OK then.

What's the betting that he'll ring me up in a few months time offering me the house for £140000?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
He said that I'd looked at one of his houses a few months ago. He said that it was £250000.

I said was it?

He said yes.

I said Oh!

I said no thanks.

I said no thanks. I said I offered you £200000 three months ago and you turned me down. I said house prices have come down since then.

I said £140000.

I said OK then.

What's the betting that he'll ring me up in a few months time offering me the house for £140000?

I think You'll get a call back in a week with a counter offer... £170k probably, and you'll end up eeting at about £155k

HOLA443
HOLA444

I said was it?

He said yes.

I said Oh!

I said no thanks.

I said £140000.

I said OK then.

Come on Sibbers, Hamish, Rinao, Manchester to London, Valerius etc. Why don't you put your money where your mouth is and buy this 'bargain'. Even at £175k - what a steal, as you all keep telling us. I am sure the OP will forward on the details of the property to you.

Ready to roll, live in it, btl it - it can't go wrong..........can it? :unsure:

HOLA445
HOLA446

I said was it?

He said yes.

I said Oh!

I said no thanks.

I said £140000.

I said OK then.

At 140k I would suspect he would have a family member or friend who would take it at the price, so I bet he doesnt ring you up again.

HOLA447

I said was it?

He said yes.

I said Oh!

I said no thanks.

I said £140000.

I said OK then.

ask the builder, what type of people will buy it and how much they would earn ... go to the HSBC mortgage calculator and type it in (3 dependants; 20k deposit; single income)

40k pa; 20k deposit -> 140k mortgage + 20k deposit

30k pa; 20k deposit -> 105k mortgage + 20k deposit

20k pa; 20k deposit -> 55k mortgage + 20k deposit

HOLA448
Come on Sibbers, Hamish, Rinao, Manchester to London, Valerius etc. Why don't you put your money where your mouth is and buy this 'bargain'. Even at £175k - what a steal, as you all keep telling us. I am sure the OP will forward on the details of the property to you.

Ready to roll, live in it, btl it - it can't go wrong..........can it? :unsure:

Yes I'll forward the details to anyone but beware it's a Bellway home? And another reason that they're struggling to sell that particular house is that it's next door to the "affordable housing".

HOLA449
I think if you wait a few more months it's more likely that it'll be the bank offering you the house for £120k. :ph34r:

It is a Bellway home. I don't know how financially secure they are right now. The site it's self looks fine but building has almost ground to a halt.

I prefer one of the other properties not yet built but of course they're going to be a lot more expensive ;)

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Yes I'll forward the details to anyone but beware it's a Bellway home? And another reason that they're struggling to sell that particular house is that it's next door to the "affordable housing".

You mean, like virtually all new developments?

HOLA4414
You mean, like virtually all new developments?

Yeah probably.

It's a bit unfair of me I know, being a single parent myself. But I just see out of control kids running round the place screaming at all hours.

I think they would have to pay me to live there to be honest.

HOLA4415
Yeah probably.

It's a bit unfair of me I know, being a single parent myself. But I just see out of control kids running round the place screaming at all hours.

I think they would have to pay me to live there to be honest.

Hopefully the tide will turn and the underclass will be re-ghettoed out of sight and smell soon. Myself and friends have been blighted by these scum and it makes me sick.

I had the chavvy f4ckers living next to me for six months when the landlady next door decided to rent to the DSS, the stupid selfish cow.

Even had one of the brain-dead tw@ts knock on my door the other week at midnight, turned out he was so f4cked he didn't realise his front door was less than a metre to the right! Two weeks after that one of his mate's, on a coke-fuelled bender, was running around the street with a bread knife looking to kill his ex-missus at 2am. My neighbour had caught her and her friend trying to kick the chavs door down over child-maintenance 4 hours earlier. Fair enough I suppose, I'd have stabbed the f4cking lot of them.

Luckily I got the vermin moved by presenting the landlady with overwhelming evidence of their illegal pitbull, drug dealing, partying and bad parenting. Wasn't easy though, especially being nice to them for six months so they didn't realise I'd spent all that time happily stabbing them in the back to get them moved. :ph34r:

Edited by General Congreve

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Hopefully the tide will turn and the underclass will be re-ghettoed out of sight and smell soon. Myself and friends have been blighted by these scum and it makes me sick.

I had the chavvy f4ckers living next to me for six months when the landlady next door decided to rent to the DSS, the stupid selfish cow.

Even had one of the brain-dead tw@ts knock on my door the other week at midnight, turned out he was so f4cked he didn't realise his front door was less than a metre to the right! Two weeks after that one of his mate's, on a coke-fuelled bender, was running around the street with a bread knife looking to kill his ex-missus at 2am. My neighbour had caught her and her friend trying to kick the chavs door down over child-maintenance 4 hours earlier. Fair enough I suppose, I'd have stabbed the f4cking lot of them.

Luckily I got the vermin moved by presenting the landlady with overwhelming evidence of their illegal pitbull, drug dealing, partying and bad parenting. Wasn't easy though, especially being nice to them for six months so they didn't realise I'd spent all that time happily stabbing them in the back to get them moved. :ph34r:

OMG! That is just too funny! :lol:

HOLA4419
Why did you offer £220k for it 3m ago?

I didn't offer £220 I offered £200. I wasn't sure then that I wanted that house. But I was new to the market and had sold my house and felt the need to buy a new house. Fortunately for me sense prevailed and I'm much calmer now.

HOLA4420
I don't know ewhay peoplee on here always theink it is poor people that are chavs. Most of the chavs I have come across are highly indebted homeowners. I also point to the WAGs who are über-chavs.

It's all about stereotypes isn't it?

People make assumptions about me which I find very annoying. I'm a single parent with three kids and so people actually ask me if all of my children have the same father! I have to explain that it's my ex husband who sleeps around not me. I also get told "of course we pay for your children"!!!. When I ask how, I have it explained to me that I'm on benefits.

I also have some very good friends who live in affordable housing and some of my children's good friends are from those very same houses.

But hey....it's still a risk isn't it? :o

I guess I've been lucky to have never had a bad neighbour and it is something that I fear because I know how much it can affect one's quality of life.

HOLA4421

What type of property was it and what part of the country ?

I had a similar experience recently with a local development (Norwich).

I showed some interest in a 4 bed townhouse, the best price they told

me was 220k (marketed @ £240k). I explained that this was out of my

price range and left it at that. The developer called me a couple of days

later and offered me the property for £190k.

HOLA4422

200 grand to live next to council housing? Don't do it. You need to live somewhere where people own their own properties and look after them. Unfortunately this does not apply to council housing estates in most instances.

Just go to any new build development and look at the OO bit then look at the council bit and you will see a striking difference.

HOLA4423
200 grand to live next to council housing? Don't do it. You need to live somewhere where people own their own properties and look after them. Unfortunately this does not apply to council housing estates in most instances.

Just go to any new build development and look at the OO bit then look at the council bit and you will see a striking difference.

Through gritted teeth , and against all the 'liberal' principles I was brought up to hold , I have to agree :(

I walk through a 3 year old housing developement on my way to work every day and it is just as you state.

HOLA4424
Through gritted teeth , and against all the 'liberal' principles I was brought up to hold , I have to agree :(

I walk through a 3 year old housing developement on my way to work every day and it is just as you state.

Council housing used to be for working class people. It has been so devalued it is now only seen asd fit for those at the bottom of society...council house sell offs...must get on the property ladder etc

HOLA4425
What type of property was it and what part of the country ?

I had a similar experience recently with a local development (Norwich).

I showed some interest in a 4 bed townhouse, the best price they told

me was 220k (marketed @ £240k). I explained that this was out of my

price range and left it at that. The developer called me a couple of days

later and offered me the property for £190k.

This is a 4 bedroomed house on 3 levels. The rooms are on the small side. The estate is also very cramped. But the ambience is nice.

It's in Leicestershire on the north side of the city.

This isn't a few days later though it is quite a while later. There's loads of building going on in this area.