How To Protect Yourself From Inflation

HOLA441
  • Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
Erm, no I don't "know what it is". How can I possibly get inside your mind?

i think your lying. you know exactly what it is.

so whats the point of talking to you.

some 'expert' you are if you cant guess. what are you posting from the school computer or something.

youve been a member here for a LONG time. your not naive nor stupid. vested perhaps, but not blind.

HOLA444
i think your lying. you know exactly what it is.

so whats the point of talking to you.

some 'expert' you are if you cant guess. what are you posting from the school computer or something.

youve been a member here for a LONG time. your not naive nor stupid. vested perhaps, but not blind.

Erm, no I don't "know what it is". How can I possibly get inside your mind? I have never seen anyone respond in such a chippy way. I have no idea what you are thinking, and on the whole have no wish to.

But go on then, what is it? Gold? If so, any idea why it has been rising these past 18 months? (It ain't because of inflation expectations that's for sure!)

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
Has anyone else noticed the correlation between gold ramping and the inability to distinguish between your and you're?
:)

I'm actually amazed that someone can write like that and expect to be taken seriously. It really is very funny...

I'm amazed that you think pointing out deviations from standardised spelling is an argument for buying gov't investments.

Edited by InternationalRockSuperstar

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
I'm amazed that you think pointing out deviations from standardised spelling is an argument for buying gov't investments.

Actually, I was talking about his language and the way he thinks that by insulting people he can be taken seriously. Having read back my remark, I can see that it was easy to think that I was referring to his spelling, but I wasn't.

Edited by Extradry Martini

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
The point is that it is worries over banks as places to leave your money which has driven the price of gold, not worries over the future value of money itself.

if that was the case then people would keep cash ina safe at home, rather than gold in a safe at home. there wouldn't much reason for people to buy gold if the future value of fiat wasn't in doubt.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Has anyone else noticed the correlation between gold ramping and the inability to distinguish between your and you're?

has anyone noticed the correlation between bond ramping and the inability to distinguish between economics and geopolitics ?

Really? I haven't really seen any coherent facts, arguments or reasoning

other than russia/china seeing this downturn bumping up against the leading edge of the start of the payouts of the unfunded liabilities meaning that the chances of being paid back with non inflated dollars are next to nothing....

HOLA4422
Fact 1: the Icelandic Gov't issued index-linked bonds. (see central bank website)

Fact 2: people who bought them got shafted.

Yes, Iceland has issued an index linked bond. No, people have not got shafted as the government has not defaulted on its debt. It may do though, and the UK government may defualt on its debt (it has to be an official default for holders of linkers to lose money, not just an inflaitonary default), but you are wrong to say that they have done.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
they have got shafted because the values of these bonds has completely dropped through the floor and the dismal yield from the gov't index isn't anything like making up for it.

I think you're getting confused here.

If I buy an NSANDI index-linked gilt, I don't care about what happens to the bond market, because I have no intention of selling it into the secondary market (nor do I think I can). All I care about is the interest payment (which is linked to RPI) and receiving that plus the original money I put in at maturity (3 or 5 years). If the price of this bond in the open market collapses to pennies on the pound, I don't care.

HOLA4425
I think you're getting confused here.

If I buy an NSANDI index-linked gilt, I don't care about what happens to the bond market, because I have no intention of selling it into the secondary market (nor do I think I can). All I care about is the interest payment (which is linked to RPI) and receiving that plus the original money I put in at maturity (3 or 5 years). If the price of this bond in the open market collapses to pennies on the pound, I don't care.

RPI is never going to make up for a currency crash.

the Iceland Krona dropped by >50% in a single day (it's hard to put an exact figure on it because banks refused currency exchanges by the end of the day) and the yield from the gov't index (~12% per annum) quite obviously did not make up for this by a long way.