House Price Crash Forum

More Proof That Mbas Are A Joke

HOLA441

Here we go: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/finance...-recession.html

A good article. In my view most of what has gone wrong with the system is down to the removal of common sense and experience which has replaced by faddish management theories from places like Harvard.

During the boom companies have spent a fortune on:

MBAs

NLP training course

Executive coaches

Emotional Intelligence advisers.

Frankly this is all a truck load of ********

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
"The low-hanging fruit, ie idiots whose parents paid for prep school, Yale and then the Harvard MBA, was there for the taking… All of this behaviour supporting the aristocracy only ended up making it easier for me to find people stupid enough to take the other side of my trades. God bless America."

I have often wondered if there is a dichotomy between exam success and a genuine ability to think. I suppose if you already know all the answers, why bother asking any questions?

It reminds of a bumper sticker I saw once; "Got a question?- Ask a teenager quick, while they still know everthing."

HOLA443

A good article. In my view most of what has gone wrong with the system is down to the removal of common sense and experience which has replaced by faddish management theories from places like Harvard.

MBAs

NLP training course

Executive coaches

I did an NLP course designed for sales people.

It was sub-titled "how to pick up women in bars".

It covers various things most of which could be classified under "really creepy things to do that make people feel at ease and trust you"...

Edited by TaxAbuserOfTheWeek

HOLA444

MBAs

NLP training course

Executive coaches

I have to agree; Mine was a complete waste of time, and probably directly led to me getting the sack from the employer who funded it. All I'm good for now is making smart arsed comments on internet forums.

All prospective MBA students out there: Dont do it. Waste of time and effort; You've either got the contacts anyway or you havent, and no one gives a toss about anything else you might get out of an MBA course.

HOLA445

Couldn't agree more.

I think MBAs and many other pointless qualifications exist to be used as an easy 'differentiator' by HR departments. You have 10 applicants for the position and you simply pick the 3 with MBAs to get interviewed.

Difficult to say where the racket started - the universities and colleges make piles of cash from it as well.

HOLA446
I have often wondered if there is a dichotomy between exam success and a genuine ability to think. I suppose if you already know all the answers, why bother asking any questions?

It reminds of a bumper sticker I saw once; "Got a question?- Ask a teenager quick, while they still know everthing."

If you haven't read the letter from Andrew Lahde that quote is taken from, you should... it's quite funny and just a bit true:

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/blog/2008/10/17...s-out-in-style/

HOLA447
Guest theboltonfury
Couldn't agree more.

I think MBAs and many other pointless qualifications exist to be used as an easy 'differentiator' by HR departments. You have 10 applicants for the position and you simply pick the 3 with MBAs to get interviewed.

Difficult to say where the racket started - the universities and colleges make piles of cash from it as well.

Also couldn't agree more. Although I doubt anyone in HR could spot a differentiator if it smacked them square in the face whilst they were sending round a companywide email about a new and pointless holiday tracking system.

HOLA448

It covers various things most of which could be classified under "really creepy things to do that make people feel at ease and trust you"...

LOL.

Had some customers that teach NLP. I can't believe people buy into this sh1te. Never before have I met such a bunch of fooktards.

You will be my friend. I will massage your ego. I agree, perhaps we should try this....... :blink:

HOLA449

I am biased, since I got booted out of Uni after 1 year for lazing about and doing no work. That puts me at risk of being an inverted snob when it comes to post-school qualifications. However, in my experience I must say that most MBAs are total arses and know next to nothing, yet some of them really are full of self-importance.

General Melchett has clearly made a full recovery.

Edited by bogbrush

HOLA4410

Indeed, although an old employer, an awful US IT firm*, uses it as a matter of course in everything it does, to a cult-like degree and they're making millions as a result.

TFH

* not M$ or anyone you would likely have heard about

HOLA4411
Indeed, although an old employer, an awful US IT firm*, uses it as a matter of course in everything it does, to a cult-like degree and they're making millions as a result.

TFH

* not M$ or anyone you would likely have heard about

.......don't get me started on NLP........pseudo-science.......frekkkfke%$£"% ........arghhhh my spud vein is popping out!

:angry:

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

To be honest, if you want the best person possible get someone with a PhD in a proper subject.

HOLA4414
.......don't get me started on NLP........pseudo-science.......frekkkfke%$£"% ........arghhhh my spud vein is popping out!

lol I should have explained. They're making millions because they are lieing to all their staff and clients. They never deliver as promised and wait until the client's too far committed then squeeze them for upgrade money to make it even 50% of the promised functions.

I didn't get on too well there as I wasn't going to lie or suck their shite management techniques.

NLP not being used for good and I hope they go under.

TFH

ɹǝʇlıɟ ɹɐǝʍs ƃuıʇunɔ ǝɥʇ ssɐdʎq oʇ ʍoɥ

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

...and if you live in Suffolk four hundred thousand pounds of your council tax has recently been spent on NLP training for staff.

Makes me want to spit.

Who signs this b*****x off and decides it's good use of taxpayers' money?

HOLA4417
To be honest, if you want the best person possible get someone with a PhD in a proper subject.

I usually agree with the things that you say.

In this case I think that there is a risk that the engineers sometimes think that they are the architects.

There are a lot of really bright people with very impressive academic credentials who are not able to cope with real life decision making. What I call the "I know that it works in practice but does it work in theory" syndrome .........

HOLA4418

In this case I think that there is a risk that the engineers sometimes think that they are the architects.

There are a lot of really bright people with very impressive academic credentials who are not able to cope with real life decision making. What I call the "I know that it works in practice but does it work in theory" syndrome .........

Like Gordon Brown.

PS - I do recognise my own general crapness in the artistic and creative area and would extend my PhD comments to non science subjects, but not things like media studies. Some third order non linear differential equations or some Fourier or Laplace transforms and I am your man.

Edited by mikelivingstone

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
Like Gordon Brown.

PS - I do recognise my own general crapness in the artistic area and would extend my PhD comments to non science subjects, but not things like media studies.

Give me some third order non linear differential equations or some Fourier or Laplace transforms and I am your man.

I had already guessed at this part already .........

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
I have to agree; Mine was a complete waste of time, and probably directly led to me getting the sack from the employer who funded it. All I'm good for now is making smart arsed comments on internet forums.

All prospective MBA students out there: Dont do it. Waste of time and effort; You've either got the contacts anyway or you havent, and no one gives a toss about anything else you might get out of an MBA course.

Totally agree. Actually, the only thing more time wasting than an MBA is a part-time MBA. I did a part-time MBA and credit all my knowledge to practical experience and none to all those books of clichés that I was forces to devour. At least with a full-time MBA you get the opportunity to build a network. When doing part-time, you are too busy trying to juggle work and family as well.

HOLA4423
Like Gordon Brown.

PS - I do recognise my own general crapness in the artistic and creative area and would extend my PhD comments to non science subjects, but not things like media studies. Some third order non linear differential equations or some Fourier or Laplace transforms and I am your man.

Do any of these help sell houses or cars on credit? If not you have no useful place in UK PLC.

Can't you get software to do those sorts of things these days anyway? Will there be much use for Fourier once everything's gone proper digital?

HOLA4424

I've found that NLP does actually work, but only when you express it in a subtle way on a personal level i.e. the art of being a convincing conversationalist.

The NLP stuff that I've seen in 'training' and such like usually revolved around the espousing of cringeworthy corporate terminology in the vain attempt to make people take you seriously when you present them with something that's relatively incomprehensible.

HOLA4425

Don't get me started on architects *&*^**$(£*% ducking fivvies the lot. I was once asked ( in a previous incarnation) "why can't the electrical socket be next to this sink?"

I know that's not what you meant but.