House Price Crash Forum

Lloyds Bank Group Share Price

HOLA441
My inability to control my desire to buy cheap shares got the better of me today.

I have bought some Lloyds shares at 52p, only £2k worth. They had fallen to 48p, but I wasn't able to get them at that price.

Now I did this last time and doubled my money, so my current £2k is only profit and there does seem to be a feeling that the loss report by HBOS is the result of very cautious valuation used by Lloyds.

So what do you reckon? I am I mad or was it a good bet.

Not wishing to appear rude, but are you investing or gambling ?

You see, this has been the problem with the financial sector over the last decade.

Everyone's in a hurry to make that killing on the market - it's this 'get rich quick' mentality

that we need to extinguish so we can return to a stable long term investment environment.

I know it's boring but that's how it has to be from now on.

I'm not holding my breath, though

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
Not wishing to appear rude, but are you investing or gambling ?

You see, this has been the problem with the financial sector over the last decade.

Everyone's in a hurry to make that killing on the market - it's this 'get rich quick' mentality

that we need to extinguish so we can return to a stable long term investment environment.

I know it's boring but that's how it has to be from now on.

I'm not holding my breath, though

Anyone who is in for the long term gets reamed by the hedge funds shorting!

They have already ruined my pension fund.

Think I will just invest in tins of beans and bags of rice for the coming meltdown.

HOLA444
HOLA445
Why, did you short them? Or 'sell' them on one of the SB platforms?

bought in for a laugh. now got it covered by stop losses.

so im profit already. bad news over, the focus will be on RBS this week.

so a calculated punt. im clear of my stop loss and keep increasing it now as the price slowly climbs.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
Lloyds Banking Group

63.00 1.60 2.61

I may have sold a bit early, but a bird in the hand so to speak.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
20% or even 50% upside with 100% downside is a very bad bet.

Just think about the maths of it. RBS settled at a similar price around 44p before they plunged to 10p and are still only 20p. Folly.

IMHO it's a punt no different from the 'Hedgies' that bought into Northern Rock whilst in its death throes. I happen to think full nationalisation is not on the cards and the shares will be allowed to rise/fall exist, but buying on exepcted price rises alone, without any prospect of a dividend is not for me.

HOLA4412
why didnt you follow up your gains with a stop loss as it rose ?

rather than quit.

In my personal experience I tend to lose money when I start playing with stop losses. One minute, I'm advancing them to hold onto gain, the next minute I am lowering them because I don't want to close the trade on a loss.

I did manage to blow nearly £4k on the rock, those as I said before, it only cost £2000 as I was able to offset it against a £30k capital gain I made that year.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
In my personal experience I tend to lose money when I start playing with stop losses. One minute, I'm advancing them to hold onto gain, the next minute I am lowering them because I don't want to close the trade on a loss.

I did manage to blow nearly £4k on the rock, those as I said before, it only cost £2000 as I was able to offset it against a £30k capital gain I made that year.

no. if you bought at 52p, let it rise to when you were going to cash in at 62p, but instead of cashing in set a stop loss at 60p

gives you that little extra insurance. you may have missed out on 2p per share earning, but if this stock recovers to 95p you will be kicking yourself.

after all. the lloyds bads news is over and nothing to the RBS news supposed to be coming out mid week.

HOLA4415
no. if you bought at 52p, let it rise to when you were going to cash in at 62p, but instead of cashing in set a stop loss at 60p

gives you that little extra insurance. you may have missed out on 2p per share earning, but if this stock recovers to 95p you will be kicking yourself.

after all. the lloyds bads news is over and nothing to the RBS news supposed to be coming out mid week.

A stop loss 3% from the price when the volatility was 30% last trading session simply doesn't make any sense at all. Neither does buying at 52p to hope for a profit at 62p.

The only possible trade on any of these banks right now is a long-term value trade. Anything else is bonkers. The most bonkers being intra-day position trades.

HOLA4416
IMHO it's a punt no different from the 'Hedgies' that bought into Northern Rock whilst in its death throes. I happen to think full nationalisation is not on the cards and the shares will be allowed to rise/fall exist, but buying on exepcted price rises alone, without any prospect of a dividend is not for me.

It's similar to RBS in that the govt doesn't want to fully nationalise it, they want to keep it private, the share price fluctuating doesn't really mean much anymore - unless it leads to wider panic and a bank run. I'd expect a further bail out which will dilute shareholders even more.

I also had a little punt on friday, but it was a little punt, £100 (down about £3 plus dealing charges so far)

HOLA4417
A stop loss 3% from the price when the volatility was 30% last trading session simply doesn't make any sense at all. Neither does buying at 52p to hope for a profit at 62p.

The only possible trade on any of these banks right now is a long-term value trade. Anything else is bonkers. The most bonkers being intra-day position trades.

but the OP made a few hundred and so have i on a few occoassions.

nip in, snatch a quick profit. leave.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
to add. my stop loss just sold, and i made £200.

there.

Yes, its dragging back down to below 60p. If I'd done it your way I admit I would have been £400 quid up.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
more like plunging !!

Apparently Moodys incorrectly published something saying Lloyd's had already been nationalised.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
but the OP made a few hundred and so have i on a few occoassions.

nip in, snatch a quick profit. leave.

Of course. What does that have to do with anything?

It's slow profits you want, and quick losses. It's the same strategy FTB used to buy RBS at 44p isn't it?

HOLA4425
the lloyds bads news is over

No, this is just the start.

Next comes the hatchet job on HBOS, politically very sensitive due to the concentration of operations in Labour Heartlands

How convenient that the loses were 'much larger than expected' sparking rumours of government takeover, putting the government on the back foot.

Now LBG are free to cull 2/3 of HBOS workforce 'in the interests of the taxpayer'