House Price Crash Forum

Bbc Watchdog - Rip Off In Bulgaria

tim123

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
Guest sillybear2

Silly people, they should have stuck to buying off-plan luxury apartments in Leeds and unseen condo's in Florida. What could possibly go wrong with buying in a far off former eastern bloc country with organised crime problems?

The past five years have been beyond crazy, forget about bank losses, what about the huge deficit in common sense?

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

nightmare.

find it hard to believe they are untracable, the land must have deeds and the builders probably have a story, they havn't dug very deep, just got two Bugarian Dreamers to talk about their nightmares

i had a similar problem with my plumbing, lol

has anyone done a google search for the dude? he probably has a MySpace

Edited by 50%deposit

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
OMG!!! Its Sibley!!!

:lol:

You are mean.

Back on topic, you've got to feel sorry for the chaps that got ripped off. I was really tempted to buy something there back in 2004, there are some really beautiful places in Bulgaria.

HOLA4413
Guest sillybear2
:lol:

You are mean.

Back on topic, you've got to feel sorry for the chaps that got ripped off. I was really tempted to buy something there back in 2004, there are some really beautiful places in Bulgaria.

What's with the obsession with owning shit though, even if you like a country it's doubtful you will spend enough time there to justify anything beyond staying in a hotel or renting a villa, and that's flexible, you can stay at different town or region every time you visit. If in time the place turns into the next Beirut you have nothing at stake. It seems this is just another case of sorry speculation.

Off plan is a gamble even in the UK, as many sorry souls will attest, if you really liked these countries at least buy something that's been completed and go and see the bloody thing. People have been buying unbuilt stuff based on glossy presentations on DVD's the same way people used to buy £200 spin dryers from Littlewoods. :rolleyes:

Edited by sillybear2

HOLA4414
You can get ripped off in Noth London or Northampton.

Why does the BBC only focus on problems in other countries?

Very true. However people buying somewhere in Leeds have some sort of idea of the markets, the means of negotiation, taxes, potential pitfalls etc..

Probably not to a good standard, but they will probably have a little clue.

In Bulgaria ? nada.

Of course - that is why they probably trusted these sharks to do all the dirty work for them.

Dangerous game. It is literally a gamble. Only enter if you can afford to lose all your chips.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Silly people, they should have stuck to buying off-plan luxury apartments in Leeds and unseen condo's in Florida. What could possibly go wrong with buying in a far off former eastern bloc country with organised crime problems?

The past five years have been beyond crazy, forget about bank losses, what about the huge deficit in common sense?

:lol: great post !!! i wish common sense could be handed out to some of these stupid people, i keep seeing on TV.fat chance i know :(

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
the bloke that lost £50K, he should hire a private detective

then hire a hitman

The other guy, Winterburn, took a deeper hit, with 2 places in terrible condition.

When I can not justify the costs of buying a home in England, I've got no sympathy for those who can also afford to buy abroad when they see it all go wrong. Sofia, Bulgaria is also 1,733 miles away from Manchester.

The company boss looks real young.

He's achieved quite a bit, judging from his Linked In page. :blink:

He was also at the centre of this Sunday Times article (2007).

Obtaining redress can often be difficult, however. John Howell, senior partner in the International Law Partnership and foreign-policy expert, describes Bulgaria, in particular, as “the Wild West” in terms of legislation to protect foreign buyers, and says the key is a properly drawn-up legal contract that includes adequate protection if something goes wrong.

“There is an element of risk to buying off-plan, which people should try to protect themselves against,” Howell warns. “The more immature the market, the greater the risk.”

http://property.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life...icle1585131.ece

HOLA4420

A friend of mine has been selling off plan apartments out there with the usual guaranteed income etc etc he himself would admit how it is akin to the wild west and the best of it is behind him now , if you got in a few years ago you will probably be ok but I wouldnt want to be holding the baby now

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
Guest sillybear2

Some of the delayed developments are “Windows to Paradise”, “the Orchard”, “Cedar Heights”, “Cedar Lodge” etc.

They sound like MI6 assets. "Pamporovo says operation Orchard is ready to attack, he says the KGB are going to use our capitalistic system against us, to appeal to our sense of greed and destroy us from within."

Edited by sillybear2

HOLA4424
"Greedy speculators get burned in real estate scam"

Nothing more to see here. Please move on................. :rolleyes:

Well the guy (Chris?) they mainly concentrated on clearly stated that he bought a place to live in for part of the year in semi-retirement.

Just a normal bloke who's served his country (ex RAF apparently) trying to male a nice life.

So how does that make him a 'greedy speculator'?

Such nastiness sometimes on this site. Very childish indeed.

HOLA4425
What's with the obsession with owning shit though, even if you like a country it's doubtful you will spend enough time there to justify anything beyond staying in a hotel or renting a villa, and that's flexible, you can stay at different town or region every time you visit. If in time the place turns into the next Beirut you have nothing at stake. It seems this is just another case of sorry speculation.

Off plan is a gamble even in the UK, as many sorry souls will attest, if you really liked these countries at least buy something that's been completed and go and see the bloody thing. People have been buying unbuilt stuff based on glossy presentations on DVD's the same way people used to buy £200 spin dryers from Littlewoods. :rolleyes:

Agree with all of the above. But these people were victims of fraud (completion announced when it wasn't). They should not have trusted the swines that ripped them off and done their home work, but you would hope these things din't happen.

I know, I am being naive.