House Price Crash Forum

Gold Bashers On Hpc.

HOLA441

After all that's been posted on here about gold over the last 4 years I fail to understand why anyone who reads this forum doesn't now own physical gold and posters continually attempt to discredit gold as a store of wealth.

Gold has performed positively for seven years and with the knowledge this forum has provided related to the current state of the UK and global economy why are there still so many gold bashers.

Mods please leave for a reasonable time.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
After all that's been posted on here about gold over the last 4 years I fail to understand why anyone who reads this forum doesn't now own physical gold and posters continually attempt to discredit gold as a store of wealth.

Gold has performed positively for seven years and with the knowledge this forum has provided related to the current state of the UK and global economy why are there still so many gold bashers.

Gold is a popularist store of wealth with little material use. I far prefer Platinum and copper, industrially essential materials and currently at massive historic lows.

The problem I have with gold is the fact it is undoubtedly in a bubble of its own at the mo. Just look at previous gold booms to see what happens to the price next after spikes.

I would much prefer to invest in platinum at the mo, as production is being scaled back and when demand picks up, its going to go through the roof. THe only issue I have is it is traded in USD. could be a problem if it turns out that Obama cant find enough money for all the T-bills he will need to fix their economy. Could be a bit of an issue if we see strenghtening gbp vs USD

Edited by mbga9pgf

HOLA443
HOLA444

Why do you need to get the approval of others if you are sooooooooo sure you are doing the right thing?

HOLA445
Gold is a popularist store of wealth with little material use. I far prefer Platinum and copper, industrially essential materials and currently at massive historic lows.

The problem I have with gold is the fact it is undoubtedly in a bubble of its own at the mo. Just look at previous gold booms to see what happens to the price next after spikes.

I would much prefer to invest in platinum at the mo, as production is being scaled back and when demand picks up, its going to go through the roof. THe only issue I have is it is traded in USD. could be a problem if it turns out that Obama cant find enough money for all the T-bills he will need to fix their economy. Could be a bit of an issue.

Is platinum used much more extensively in manufacturing then than gold?

Edited by chefdave

HOLA446
HOLA447

Nobody likes being wrong let alone admit to it. I'd love RB to explain his gold predictions which were completely wrong. I don't understand the resistance to discussing gold on the main board especially as it is obviously outperforming everything else.

The higher the gold value the higher resistance to buy any. The higher the gold value the more it is resented by those who do not possess any.

When RB says buy I just might sell.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

I would much prefer to invest in platinum at the mo, as production is being scaled back and when demand picks up, its going to go through the roof. THe only issue I have is it is traded in USD. could be a problem if it turns out that Obama cant find enough money for all the T-bills he will need to fix their economy. Could be a bit of an issue if we see strenghtening gbp vs USD

Like you I've always wondered what it is about "Gold". Are we talking about investing in Gold as a commodity or as some form of currency?

What good is having gold going to do me? I can't eat it, live in it, use it to get around. What is its intrinsic value?

HOLA4411

These days gold tends only to be mentioned in passing on this forum.

This doesn't mean we're all bearish on gold - I am something of a minor goldbug myself, with 20% of my total assets in gold, an investment which has doubled in value over the last 2 years.

I think the reason gold doesn't get much airtime here is historical: When I joined the forum in 2006, a substantial proportion of the forums threads seemed to be taken up with passionate argument between goldbugs and... whatever the opposite of a goldbug is.

The moderators made a controversial policy decision to consider gold threads "off topic", which chased off a lot of the serious gold enthusiasts.

So those who want to sing the praises of the shiny stuff are now doing so on other forums (fora?).

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Unless its bad news, unless its depressing, unless its deprived, unless its how inequitable the world is, unless you are preaching misery, unless its house prices are crashing, unless its how flawed the system is, unless its how bad broon is, unless its how bad the opposition is, unless its how greedy succesful investors are, unless its really bad, you will get bashed around here

HOLA4414
  • Because gold goes down in value as well as up (gold fell for 2 decades after 1980)
  • Because people have been saying "buy gold before it's too late" (sound familiar?)
  • Because there is monetary/credit deflation, most commodities are down 70% in $ terms.
  • Becuase gold is near an all time nominal high, and a real terms high (adjusted for a realistic level of inflation and now deflation)
  • Because people are paying 30% premium over spot rates on gold coins (delusional speculation)
  • Because people are buying gold to "get rich" expecting prices to be $1000 / $2000 etc, whereas gold should be a really boring hedge vs inflation.
  • Because hedge funds have made massive leveraged purchases on gold that could well unwind over the next year or 2
  • Because people who turned down gold at $400/$500/$600/$700 suddenly think it's a great buy at $900
  • Because people are justifying buying something that is really expensive, because it's really expensive!

I'm actually neutral on gold, but there are plenty of reasons why it's not a 100% cert

HOLA4415

I'm a confirmed 'gold basher' from the position of having bought a reasonable amount of it (physical; krugs, pandas, sovs) from 2005-2007. What's the point, other than it's became a bit of a hobby that I can't afford/justify atm? If it falls to $600 per ounce I'm level but I'd buy a bit more 'cos I like it and my kids kinda dig Dad's madness ;)

This "if the whole world goes FUBAR gold will save your a55" mantra from the gold bugs is bo11ocks, how are you going to get out of it, sell it on e-bay? Lol :lol: It's not even a bubble, if you're in the US it's not appreciated for close on 2 years and it's our currency (GBP) that's failed, gold hasn't appreciated and TBH if it was going to shoot fro the moon (and let's not forget the zealots were predicting $3,000 per ounce by now) it would have done it already, the conditions could hardly have been better. As folk need real currency they'll sell their gold....

Edited by Converted Lurker

HOLA4416
I think it's more that:

WE GET IT ALREADY! GOLD IS GOOD. LET'S TALK ABOUT HOUSES!

What do you mean ?? .....houses?? eg kitchens central heating systems, decor etc??

or the perceived value of a house compared to the (real?) value of something else, like for instance, a precious metal ??

I understand the average house price now is around 235 ounces.

Thinks..... is the price the gold & silver real or perceived?? :)

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
I'm a confirmed 'gold basher' from the position of having bought a reasonable amount of it (physical; krugs, pandas, sovs) from 2005-2007. What's the point, other than it's became a bit of a hobby that I can't afford/justify atm? If it falls to $600 per ounce I'm level but I'd buy a bit more 'cos I like it and my kids kinda dig Dad's madness ;)

This "if the whole world goes FUBAR gold will save your a55" mantra from the gold bugs is bo11ocks, how are you going to get out of it, sell it on e-bay? Lol :lol: It's not even a bubble, if you're in the US it's not appreciated for close on 2 years and it's our currency (GBP) that's failed, gold hasn't appreciated and TBH if it was going to shoot fro the moon (and let's not forget the zealots were predicting $3,000 per ounce by now) it would have done it already, the conditions could hardly have been better. As folk need real currency they'll sell their gold....

As folk need real currency they'll sell their gold....

What?..... ALL of it?

HOLA4419
[*]Becuase gold is near an all time nominal high, and a real terms high (adjusted for a realistic level of inflation and now deflation)

?????????????

For an inflation adjusted all time high, you would have to inflate $850 (or the exact nominal high in 1980) by 29 years of inflation - lets say that is 5% inflation a year (which is probably a bit low); an inflation adjusted all time high is =850*(1.05)^29 = $3500

so at $900 gold is no where near its all time high - a raging buy if you think the dollar crisis in 1980 might be repeated.

the fact that in all human history all paper currencies have either gone back to the gold (or some other commodity) standard in a few decades or become worthless. we are now 38 years in paper. will either be back on the gold standard at a far higher rate than $900 or the dollar will be worthless - either way owning gold is a sensible thing to consider

HOLA4420

[*]Because gold goes down in value as well as up (gold fell for 2 decades after 1980)

The counter argument to this convinced me make my first investment of some gold coins earlier last year: even if the price of gold drops it's still performing it's job as an inflationary hedge.

I still feel uneasy having a large part of my wealth stored as £ however as it's taking a hammering every which way getting out into other currencies/gold seems expensive.

HOLA4421
[*]Becuase gold is near an all time nominal high, and a real terms high (adjusted for a realistic level of inflation and now deflation)

I suppose it depends on what you consider a realistic level of inflation.

Measured in GBP and adjusting for RPI, gold reached £1000/oz in 1980. It's now at £650/oz.

(Gold reached $800 in 1980. Exhange rate was around 2.3 [this was an average for the whole of the year 1980, I couldn't find the figure for the day when gold hit $800], so £ price was £350. Cumulative RPI since then is 190%, so £350 in 1980 is equivalent to £1015 today.)

HOLA4422
Why do you need to get the approval of others if you are sooooooooo sure you are doing the right thing?

I did not ask for or seek approval I asked for reasons for the apparent continued negative perspective on gold.

But I'm sure you are comfortable with your short position. ;)

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Wait until the word 'recession' is changed to 'depression' in the media ;)