House Price Crash Forum

We Are Being Slated On Mumsnet

Kyoto

HOLA441

We are currently being slated on Mumsnet.

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/1062860-to-think-the-housepricecrash-forum?pg=1

I have just put a response on that forum that concludes with the point that we, on this forum, are affected by the same issues as, say, a young family or a young couple who might be represented on Mumsnet.

Looking at the points raised in my post there (quoted below) why do you think they don't feel as angry about the things as we do? It seems as though we should be singing from the same hymn sheet.

This thread may bomb but I thought the Mumsnet posters who were here last week contributed an interesting perspective so may be an interesting topic for discussion.

I post regularly on HPC.

We obviously have our nutty elements, but if you look beyond the surface, the arguments that underlie the site are quite reasonable and really do affect you guys more than you might realise.

Here's a few:

- The average person or family should be able to afford to buy a decent home for their families. This is verging on a basic human right and yet it's almost impossible to achieve in this country.

- They should be able to achieve this without signing themselves up to 25 years of high mortgage payments. Our high house prices result in you paying 2 x asking price after interest payments, with the high repayments leave you at risk of repossession, interest rates, losing your job etc. Surely signing your life away to the bank is a horrible way to live?

- If we are stuck in rented accomodation, that should be of high standard, and should come with appropriate guarantees such as long contracts, long notice periods, right to quiet enjoyment etc.

- Only banks profit by high house prices. This idea of people celebrating house price rises (one of lifes most fundamental essentials) just strikes us all as bizarre. Are we so happy when the price of food or electricity rises?

- There are too many people looking to profit at the expense of the working man. Bankers, the benefit classes, and those reviled buy to let landlords. We feel like we all go out and work our arses off, but everyone else seems to get ahead that bit easier by feeding off that hard work. The systems are stacked against the common man.

- The last few governments are propping up that inflated housing market at the expense of other things they could be doing.

- Why should houses (homes) be a speculative investment? Let traders and banks and investors trade other stuff with each other and leave housing to it's rightful role - keeping the rain off us.

- All of the above contribute to much broader social problems. Lack of community, lack of mobility, the rich getting richer.....

The thing is, these are issues that we all share with the Mumsnet crowd. If you're a family or a young couple, then each one of the above issues directly affects you.

Indeed, I think I can speak for the HPC forum when I say we wonder why all of the above stuff doesn't make you more angry?

I personally really appreciated the contributions and opinions of Mumsnet posters last week as it really bought home a different perspective on the same problem.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/spending-review/8068591/RAF-police-and-welfare-budgets-to-bear-brunt-of-83bn-cuts.html

Child benefit, which is already being axed for all higher-rate taxpayers from 2013, is likely to be terminated once a child reaches 16, instead of 19 at present, according to senior sources.

that's going to piss in their vinegar

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

No disrespect, but Mumsnet just flags up the general stupidity of women. Why would they want to pay more for something? Would these Mums be cheering because they had a tank of petrol which had cost £300 instead of £60?

I won't register and post on their site, life is too short.

HOLA447

Not sure which site they are actually reading.

These comments made me laugh. I wonder where they are reading these things :huh:

AlpinePony Fri 15-Oct-10 16:45:00

Whilst a few of their points are valid - these are, sadly in the majority, the type of men who think a Thai bride is where it's at due to her "size" and "knows her place" type attitude. hmm

There's an awful lot on that site spend rather too long banging one out on a single bed in a bedsit with cupboards full of tinned tuna.

AlpinePony Fri 15-Oct-10 18:51:17

Don't let on you're a woman. Not identifying my sex I'm applauded - if I reveal in my post I'm of the female variety I usually get a slagging along the lines of "you must be an ugly lesbian then". hmm

So come on, who is the tuna eater and thinks all women are lesbians :blink: Oh its you BoomBoom.

Got bored after those two comments, they were the only good ones on page 1.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

"There's an awful lot on that site spend rather too long banging one out on a single bed in a bedsit with cupboards full of tinned tuna."

How did she know about the Tuna?

How did they know about my single bed?

Proud to be one the "nutty elements"

HOLA4412

I find it very distressing that one of the posters on that website has some very insulting RACIST and SEXIST comments about 'Thai brides'.

One of the other posters afterwards says that racist or disabilist comments will not stand on their website without being challenged. But that comment was right below a RACIST comment.

HOLA4413

well, HPC seems to pander to a (typically but no exclusively male) mechanistic urge to analyse the world thru' economics

and mumsnet seems to pander to a (typically but not exclusively female) emotive urge to analyse the world thru interpersonal relationships

there's more to life than either of them, of course

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I find it very distressing that one of the posters on that website has some very insulting RACIST and SEXIST comments about 'Thai brides'.

One of the other posters afterwards says that racist or disabilist comments will not stand on their website without being challenged. But that comment was right below a RACIST comment.

I spotted the irony too. Guess it was missed by mumsnetters, not sure how though???

Actually, I don't recall racism on 'this' site at all. I think it would get stamped on very quickly.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Lol, this thread proves everything they said. I shouldn't have bothered posting and wish I hadn't linked back here now.

DOH!

:D

Fair comment. The vast majority of HPC posters are males who support affordable housing. The vast majority of Mumsnet members are females who support unaffordable housing.

Let's leave it at that. Factual and non-opinionated.

HOLA4418

Ironic really reading the comments, they accuse this place of being full of vile tossers yet all I read there were unpleasant and sexist insults. Talk about pot and kettle.

They do have a point though, why do we end up with so many links to their threads? Their site has a huge forum for chat about everything by the look of it, much like mse. That makes it pretty easy to find a thread or a dim poster to pick on but whats the point? It doesnt gain anything.

Some of them sound pretty dim but I guess they are only just waking up to what is going on and starting to learn. We all started somewhere. We do look like a bunch of tossers though, laughing at their dimmest posters and linking to their threads. I can't see anyone trolling on there but if anyone does go over it would be worth passing on some of the more relevant info/charts/links that would help out.

I have to admit though, I just registered there to post some stuff but after a few minutes decided that I had no idea where to start.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I just can't understand why Kyoto, who posts so sensibly on here, cannot replicate her behaviour on Mumsnet, and point out to her fellow Mumsnet members that unaffordable housing is not good for them or their families.

Perhaps they wouldn't be able to understand it, I don't know. They have the chance to prove me wrong.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I just can't understand why Kyoto, who posts so sensibly on here, cannot replicate her behaviour on Mumsnet, and point out to her fellow Mumsnet members that unaffordable housing is not good for them or their families.

I thought Kyoto was a bloke???

HOLA4424

I think sometimes persons on here get carried away and it does reflect badly on all of us here....

However these particular ladies don't make it easy for themselves do they?

It was in response to a thread I started a few days ago, having a good moan about being fed up in a small house. Someone from that delightful site found my thread and started a thread over there headed "another mumsnet classic" and the whole thing was basically slagging me and my thread off. There were a few people who said they sympathised with my situation, but the majority of the comments were really awful and I actually cried blush when I read it. They were horrible.

HOLA4425

I think sometimes persons on here get carried away and it does reflect badly on all of us here....

However these particular ladies don't make it easy for themselves do they?

Actually reading stuff about yourself on the internet sometimes isn't pleasant.

Archived