House Price Crash Forum

Englands Most Depressing Towns

dogbox

HOLA441
  • Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
Most of the South East of England - just one big commuter community usually with dull shopping centres and full of people who get up early to get a train into London, then who get home late from London.

No character, no sense of identity, just one big blandness.

<_< Not wishing to generalise of course :blink:

HOLA443

Top=Luton. Some nice places around it but the town typifies all that is wrong with the country-car dependent, utilitarian, chain stored, segregated, ignorant, violent, ugly.

I'd also nominate, not in particular order:

Margate

Stevenage

Doncaster

Bradford

Carlisle

Worst in London-Hounslow

Surprised by some of the nominations, Sheffield is thriving, Machester and Leeds are perfectly fine, Southampton is nice enough, Cardiff is improving. My priority is to get up to a semi-decent wage and then leave the London hellhole I reside in (paying a parasite landlord for the privelage!)

HOLA444
There are so many in my area. Basingrad and Alderscheiss (has improved slightly) but by far the worst is Bracknell. I was in Crawley recently and cannot think of a reason why I would want to go back there. Harlow did not reek of sophistication and elegance either. I guess a lot of these M25 satellite towns are all identikit s**tholes.

Bracknell was going to be on my list, but thanks for reminding me about Harlow.

Oldham

Dewsbury

Worksop

Pontypridd

Worthing

Plymouth

HOLA445
No ladies and gentlemen, we have to agree on a winner and I nominate Bridgend as Britains most depressing town as the locals keep voting with their lives, and they should know.

Who can have a problem with that then ?

Bridgend is scary and depressing and dark and not even taking into account the above.

Curry sauce n chips from the indoor market brightens things slightly tho :P

edit: Oh and Pontypridd yes, never been to Newport but looks like a right dump and also

only ever seen Port Talbot from the motorway but looks terrible..

HOLA446
Guest มร หล&#3

Oldham

Dewsbury

Worksop

Pontypridd

Worthing

Plymouth

Ponty! Ponty's great!

HOLA447
HOLA448

I take it none of you have been to West Bromwich then?

A curious little place - I recall my walks to the town centre were through broken glass, blood and sh*t (and yet no dogs about bar the odd council warriors Pit Bull so must have been human!).. The shopping centre is creepily plagued by these horroble black birds that crowd in the roof tops and sh*t down the whole time whilst squawking and flying at people.

Hell hole!

Coventry's up there too - with Croydon, Nottingham and Worcester coming up on the outside as a somewhere that's going to the dogs!

HOLA449
Coventry

Dagenham

Blackpool

Burnley

Oldham

Chatham

Swindon

Portsmouth

Birmingham

Luton

Plenty more such as Stevenage & Chatteris, what are your top 10 worst?

Never been to Coventry, Dagenham, Luton or Swindow - so can't offer a first-hand opinion.

Birmingham's a horrible soulless place.

Blackpool is tacky, but it does have a certain charm. Great place to visit for a weekend, but wouldn't want to live there.

Burnley and Oldham are dives.

HOLA4410

I found Luton to be unremittingly awful. So bad, in fact, that dumps the like of Burnley, Bradford, Oldham and Portsmouth don't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath.

However, if we can count Wales in too, then Luton is like Beverly Hills compared to Merthyr and Rhondda.

HOLA4411

Oldham

Dewsbury

Worksop

Pontypridd

Worthing

Plymouth

Worthing's not that bad, especially since you no longer get the stink either from the Beecham factory or on shore winds from the sewage. Only problem now are the chavs that move out there from overpriced Brighton. Good shops.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Leigh, the only place I've ever seen three generations of the same family pregnant at once.

They were accompanied by a lone spotty, hooded, mouth breathing youth. Probably the sperm donor to all three.

Dire place.

People run this country down but, I know, I'm just not going to get these sort of entertaining sights if I emigrate to Canada.

HOLA4418
Yes never got this one. Why? Cheltenham and Cirencester are lovely. How did Gloucester happen?

Cheltenham isn't lovely. It only looks nice because it's next to Gloucester.

Twenty thousand years ago a large meteorite hit Birmingham, hurling a big section of it fifty or sixty miles south. Where it became known as Gloucester. The end.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Probably not all big enough to be classed as Towns:

Glossop

Saltburn by the Sea

Redcar

Sleaford

I haven't seen Barnsley mentioned anywhere

Is there a Question Time thread in the pipeline?

HOLA4422
Cheltenham isn't lovely. It only looks nice because it's next to Gloucester.

Twenty thousand years ago a large meteorite hit Birmingham, hurling a big section of it fifty or sixty miles south. Where it became known as Gloucester. The end.

Like you get the signs you're now entering :blink: 'Catherine Cookson Country', perhaps Gloucester council could spend some of the money they're spending on wallpapering empty shop windows with some new signs that inform visitors they're now entering 'Fred West Country'.

HOLA4423
I haven't seen Barnsley mentioned anywhere

Is there a Question Time thread in the pipeline?

Drove through it once. Didn't seem as bad as I imagined. Sadly I once lived with someone from Elsecar, who tarnished all Barnsley folk forever.

HOLA4424
Like you get the signs you're now entering :blink: 'Catherine Cookson Country', perhaps Gloucester council could spend some of the money they're spending on wallpapering empty shop windows with some new signs that inform visitors they're now entering 'Fred West Country'.

Whats wrong with Gloucester? Cotwolds nearby, Wales not far. Plus where else can you buy a four bed detached for under £120k in the south?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...auction%3Dfalse

Never been there mind.

HOLA4425

Archived