House Price Crash Forum

Dot Com Bubble Part 2

200p

HOLA441

1.png

The Nasdaq, is making ***all-time*** new highs at 5221pts

This time, it isnt about eyeballs or mouse clicks. It's all about the amount of app downloads. It's only the start!

What if 30m people download the app? Watch the advert below...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Yes, people plough their savings into sh1t that will never work, because everyone else did. Isaac Newton got a bit stuffed with the "South Sea Bubble". I only invest in sh1t that works with some real customers! I suppose I am unadventurous!

HOLA443

Yes, people plough their savings into sh1t that will never work, because everyone else did. Isaac Newton got a bit stuffed with the "South Sea Bubble". I only invest in sh1t that works with some real customers! I suppose I am unadventurous!

To be fair, Newton wasn't the sharpest tool in the box.

HOLA444

I still finds amazing when I look at valuations for the likes of Facebook, Twitter, airbnb. It's insane.

Just ad-slingers! Don't actually make anything. :blink: There's always fools out there!

HOLA445

The valuation of Twitter isn't that high these days. Their share price is through the floor.

Facebook owns quite a few businesses and websites if you look so I think investors are banking on those rather than their namesake website.

HOLA446

The valuation of Twitter isn't that high these days. Their share price is through the floor.

Facebook owns quite a few businesses and websites if you look so I think investors are banking on those rather than their namesake website.

Twitter has messed up by censoring free speech, and becoming a SJW-only platform.

Regarding insane dot com company valuations, I was browsing on LinkedIn a couple of days back and saw a profile of a chap a fair bit younger than me who had himself listed as CEO and CTO of various companies. I wondered how he could have done this despite being 22, and it turned out he had several attempted startups behind him.

I checked out his latest startup, went to their website and had a read, and for the life of me I couldn't work out what the company actually did. Loads of technical mumbo jumbo but nothing that really summed up what exactly they did, and who would want to use it. To put things in perspective, I've made a living for the last 10 years from programming, so if I can't understand what a company does then what chance do most people have.

HOLA447

Standby for a sizeable correction. Volume has been lousy. These stocks have been pumped up on thin air.

The NASDAQ COT contracts, as of yesterday afternoon US time, have the largest short position for 18 months. Some other indicators suggest that the big boys are positioned for a drop.

That's not to say that it will not go higher but we should see a sizeable pull-back in the next 8 to 10 days.

HOLA448

I'm quite heavily invested in the NASDAQ. IMO it is not the same. Last time round, there was little actual profit. Stock prices have risen but so have earnings. Facebook is profitable. Apple has a low PE ratio for a tech company. Amazon is just starting to make profit. These companies are trending upwards.

A long term downward trending price to earnings ratio is not the biggest bubble in the world. I agree the overall PE is high for the index , but for tech, this prices in a lot of future growth. The only real question is do you agree with the market re projected growth or not.

Nasdaq100chart2.png

Apple's PE ratio is pretty low for a tech company.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Elon Musk, and the Amazon chap, google and probably many more US companies are doing interesting , atleast to read about, projects.

I'm not sure about the UK. Hear alot more about apps. Hungryhouse springs to mind - think that one is valued in the billions £. My experience is the app works well but the food still comes from the same shitty takeaways.

Still with some people almost addicted to smartphones maybe that's the way to go? Or maybe offering smartphone addiction counselling?

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I still finds amazing when I look at valuations for the likes of Facebook, Twitter, airbnb. It's insane.

It's simply a consequence of zero/negative interest rates and unlimited free money printed by the central banks.

HOLA4413

It's simply a consequence of zero/negative interest rates and unlimited free money printed by the central banks.

So people don't think the huge profits being made by many of these companies has anything to do with the stock market prices????

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Actually, earnings this year are amongst the worst earnings for many years. Which makes the sky-high share prices even more crazy.

Ok, I didn't know that. I don't have any data, can you share?

Just to be clear, I'm talking about tech stocks, and particular the nasdaq 100 f we are talking tech bubble this seems like a good place to start. , so we are talking Apple, google etc.

I had a quick search and can't find any figures or news on earnings collapse this year. But I can see the PE figures haven't moved massively, and the forward PE is down not up at only 20.

8/5/2016† 24.35

Year ago† 22.75

Estimate 12 months 20.05

150305131443-nasdaq-pe-780x439.jpg

HOLA4416

Don't take me wrong, if these stock index levels remain at these levels, it's "blue sky". It's bullish.

This is one of my favourite stock market documentaries from 1997.

How much of your life savings are in the stock market? Almost all of it!

Why not put it the bank? Well the bank only pays you 3%, you're not gaining ground. The stock market's faster!

Sound familiar today at near 0% less saving rates?!!

HOLA4417

Ok, I didn't know that. I don't have any data, can you share?

Just to be clear, I'm talking about tech stocks, and particular the nasdaq 100 f we are talking tech bubble this seems like a good place to start. , so we are talking Apple, google etc.

I had a quick search and can't find any figures or news on earnings collapse this year. But I can see the PE figures haven't moved massively, and the forward PE is down not up at only 20.

8/5/201624.35

Year ago 22.75

Estimate 12 months 20.05

150305131443-nasdaq-pe-780x439.jpg

Oddly enough, within minutes of my post last night zerohedge posted an article on how poor earnings have been. I will try and post the link later but go have a look as it is probably still on the main page.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

DOW is another index altogether. DOW has a high PE ratio and is arguably overvalued yes.

BUT the OP links to NASDAQ chart is entitled

Dot Com Bubble Part 2

Is there solid data to suggest NASDAQ fundamentals are trending towards the conditions of dot com bubble part 1?

I havn't seen it.

NASDAQ is looking very fairly valued to me for a growth index. PE is lower than the DOW I think! Totally different to the first bubble where lots of valuations ignored low earnings.

I'd be interested to hear what PE you think is fair value for the index.

HOLA4420

DOW is another index altogether. DOW has a high PE ratio and is arguably overvalued yes.

BUT the OP links to NASDAQ chart is entitled

Dot Com Bubble Part 2

Is there solid data to suggest NASDAQ fundamentals are trending towards the conditions of dot com bubble part 1?

I havn't seen it.

NASDAQ is looking very fairly valued to me for a growth index. PE is lower than the DOW I think! Totally different to the first bubble where lots of valuations ignored low earnings.

I'd be interested to hear what PE you think is fair value for the index.

They are all interconnected. It is stupid to suggest otherwise.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Any thoughts on fair value for NASDAQ 100 or not?

Just trying to address the OPs graph.

I think the NASDAQ, DOW, S&P and FTSE are all going to go higher. BUT... we are probably going to have a decent correction first of all. Giving random numbers of how high a market can go is the realm of crystal balls.

It would not surprise me that the big boys engineer a bit of a bounce this week in order to sell out to retail and then we will get a crash sometime later this month. It could be this week or next. Who knows. After which, I expect we will go up higher and higher as the US uses any crash to put IRs off the table and to do a Carney style QE.

Just my two cents. I could be very wrong of course.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived