House Price Crash Forum

Volkswagen....merged Threads

SpewLabour

HOLA441
  • Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

If the government don't like it they should stick an FTIR in the back of the car and monitor the emissions on a normal road run. Then tell the manufacturers they aren't meeting spec and ban future sales until compliance is hit or specs are changed.

If the government set a test which doesn't capture real world conditions that is the fault of the government/test, not the manufacturer.

My car is a superb example. It's a plug in hybrid which attracts a £5k grant from the government, produces 45g of carbon per km and does 150 mpg.

The fact that the above is total bs is because of the way they test it. My super green car actually does about 28mpg (repeatably) which means it is using almost exactly twice as much fuel as a typical modern diesel. Saving the planet though.

Funny, your super green car seems to do about the same as my super ungreen 5 liter ISF! Seriously

HOLA443

Funny, your super green car seems to do about the same as my super ungreen 5 liter ISF! Seriously

Five ******ing litres! My buttocks explode with delight!

HOLA444

Five ******ing litres! My buttocks explode with delight!

Thought it would meet with your approval, Mr. Pin. Only had it a month or so but am very happy. Very differnt from the Exige and I suspect that it may be more difficult to avoid scoring points.

Now, if only I had the space and the money for both the ISF and the Exige...

HOLA445

I've mentioned this before ( from 2 yrs ago)

The Diesel Decade Costing the Earth

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04f9r9h

as Hpc'er Kurt Barlow quoted. ..Diesel could be the asbestos of the 00s

The Diesel Decade Costing the Earth Listen in pop-out player http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04f9r9h

The air quality in our towns and cities has remained stubbornly filthy over the last ten years despite tightening regulations on the poisonous emissions our cars can legally belch out. That means more lung disease and more heart attacks. New research is pointing the finger of suspicion at the dramatic rise in the number of diesel vehicles on our roads.

Take a look at the data from car manufacturers and it seems that diesel engines are getting significantly cleaner. Independent monitoring suggests something very different- real cars driven in the real world can emit up to five times more of some pollutants than the manufacturers claim.

Tom Heap investigates the source of our pavement pollution www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04f9r9h

If the government don't like it they should stick an FTIR in the back of the car and monitor the emissions on a normal road run. Then tell the manufacturers they aren't meeting spec and ban future sales until compliance is hit or specs are changed.

If the government set a test which doesn't capture real world conditions that is the fault of the government/test, not the manufacturer.

My car is a superb example. It's a plug in hybrid which attracts a £5k grant from the government, produces 45g of carbon per km and does 150 mpg.

The fact that the above is total bs is because of the way they test it. My super green car actually does about 28mpg (repeatably) which means it is using almost exactly twice as much fuel as a typical modern diesel. Saving the planet though.

Tests have to based on averages.

I find www.Fuelly.com useful for real world mpg averages (when using it, make sure you select "Uk" on top of "browse vehicle" page) .

3 Vw's in the top 10 - http://www.fuelly.com/car

Top 10 Cars

1. Volkswagen Jetta (8,690)
  2. Honda Civic (5,830)
  3. Volkswagen Golf (4,493)
  4. Toyota Tacoma (4,451)
  5. Toyota Prius (3,997)
  1. Honda Accord (3,561)
  2. Mazda 3 (3,534)
  3. Ford Focus (3,058)
  4. Volkswagen Passat (2,655)
  5. Toyota Corolla (2,444)

If someone drives a big engined, heavy car & canes it like a boy racer with a death wish, they are most always going to a big polluter.

That's fine if you want to wait until the entire car is built before you test the engine.

I need to find out exactly what is being alleged against Volkswagen. What I do know is that hitting both pollution and efficiency specs on diesels is so difficult under the current legislation it's difficult to see the major companies taking it too much further from here.

I hr ago.... VW software scandal: chief apologises for breaking public trust

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/sep/20/vw-software-scandal-chief-apologises-for-breaking-public-trust

Nine out of 10 new diesel cars exceed EU pollution limits, report finds

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/sep/14/nine-out-of-10-new-diesel-cars-in-breach-of-eu-pollution-rules-report-finds

HOLA446
HOLA447

If someone drives a big engined, heavy car & canes it like a boy racer with a death wish, they are most always going to a big polluter.

True enough, the batteries make hybrids very heavy, my PHEV is about 2.5 tons with a 2ltr petrol engine. I wouldn't quite say I cane it but I do a lot of motorway driving.

HOLA448

True enough, the batteries make hybrids very heavy, my PHEV is about 2.5 tons with a 2ltr petrol engine. I wouldn't quite say I cane it but I do a lot of motorway driving.

You can borrow my Mustang Libby. It does 33 mpg, but plastic bits fall off. It's 0nly turning at 2000 rpm at legal speeds. It's actually surprisingly economical, and makes a good noise! :)

HOLA449

You can borrow my Mustang Libby. It does 33 mpg, but plastic bits fall off. It's 0nly turning at 2000 rpm at legal speeds. It's actually surprisingly economical, and makes a good noise! :)

Sounds like true American Classic Mr P. Is it leaf sprung with good ol fashion carbs?

HOLA4410

Sounds like true American Classic Mr P. Is it leaf sprung with good ol fashion carbs?

It's all fuel injected from 1990. No leaf springs! When they got their **** in gear, and reasonable horsepower. It's quite a small car too! I am intending to to keep the old b*gger going!

HOLA4411

Is it the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV ?

I f so, I was impressed with the good value of PHEV option being same price as diesel . I heard on release It was only Hybrid to be able to tow without invalidating warranty (1.5t i think) Though there may now be others

Does seem rather low, but cruising at 80 must hammer it. Not many on Fuelly to compare

www.fuelly.com/car/mitsubishi/outlander?engineconfig_id=&bodytype_id=&submodel_id=74864

Still 20-30% better than a Discovery at your 28 mpg :unsure:

http://www.fuelly.com/car/land_rover/discovery

HOLA4412

Is it the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV ?

I f so, I was impressed with the good value of PHEV option being same price as diesel . I heard on release It was only Hybrid to be able to tow without invalidating warranty (1.5t i think) Though there may now be others

Does seem rather low, but cruising at 80 must hammer it. Not many on Fuelly to compare

It is indeed the Mitsubishi, and yes you can tow with them (200bhp so not short on grunt).

I was surprised at how many people claim good mileage with them at your link.. They must be using them as short trip commuter cars and plugging in frequently. I ran mine a lot on "recharge" to start with which probably didn't help.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

VW do some nice big engines 5.0 v10 diesel and 6.0 w12 petrol are both pretty good, I have to admit - I'm about to embark on some open heart surgery on the latter.

That's a naughty car! :blink:

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I don't feel so bad for ripping the EGR and cat. out of my Berlingo now.

Actually, that's a lie, I didn't feel bad in the first place.

What's good for the goose is good for giving me 5 more mpg, or something.

Vosa are getting a little excited about cats being removed, it's a RFR (reason for rejection) these days.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Trade wars VW becoming ever more popular in the US especially diesels

I can only guess but they must be running a different engine map when the car is stationary

This.

Bernanke warned germany over their c/a surpluses months ago. What goes around comes around.......

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

bloke on the radio was saying it's been known for a long time that many other manufacturer's cars exhibit similar test results. Could be many more of these yet.

I pretty sure this is just an excuse for the US to extract as much money as possible from VW.

If US manufacturers get clobbered even half as much as VW I'll eat my words and happily wipe the egg from my face.

Why else target diesel after all.. I bet they could uncover similar fiddling with petrol if they tried hard enough.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

I pretty sure this is just an excuse for the US to extract as much money as possible from VW.

If US manufacturers get clobbered even half as much as VW I'll eat my words and happily wipe the egg from my face.

Why else target diesel after all.. I bet they could uncover similar fiddling with petrol if they tried hard enough.

I'll join you on that one.

On face value with what has been presented this situation sounds more like a case of extortion. This is NOTHING compared to the lies, deceit and pure financial gangsterism that ran (and still does) through the US financial system.

Archived