House Price Crash Forum

Things To Do While Unemployed

HOLA441
HOLA442
Apart from looking for a job and a bit like the "off the sauce thread" what do people recommend?

Mine so far is washing the car, learning to cook chinese food, quitting smoking, going to the gym

but nothing that can fill the day or really going to work 9-5.

Last time I was unemployed I worked my way through the "Time Out Book of Country Walks". Cleared my head, made me fitter, introduced me to beautiful countryside outside of London, and was a cheap hobby (only really train fare to pay and a pint and ploughmans at the end of each walk).

Only really works if you're London-based and best in the Summer, unfortunately :-(

HOLA443
HOLA444
Guest Barebear

You need to start thinking out of the box. You may be unemployed for sometime. Think about ways to earn extra untraceable money. When it was me unemployed I bought a burger van and sat outside nightclubs,it kept the wolf from the door.

Things not to do, stay in bed late, watch day time telly, start going to pubs in the day time and most importantly dont mix with other unemployed people and NEVER tell anyone your signing on. Spend your days looking and applying for jobs you want to do but not just any old job for the sake of being employed. Its important to act and behave as you would if you did have a job. If umemployed for over 6 months prepare to be creative with your CV. No employer even in a recession has any time for the long term unemployed.

I did this for 4 years in the 90's crash and managed to keep my house and come out of it with no debts. And no wife either ( YAY)

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

You could post links to stories in the Daily Mail and maybe the odd graph (with no labels and axes that start anywhere other than 0) and berate anyone who doesn't agree with the 'point' you are making.

Seems to pass the time for a lot of people here.

But seriously? The arts. Lots of things have a time and effort cost to entry. Now is the perfect time to read books that are really slow for the first 50 pages, listen to music you are going to need to hear a few times to get anywhere with, that sort of thing. Between jobs I did all the usual crappy casual work (is it around now though? probably not) read Infinite Jest, Gravity's Rainbow and other things like that and listened to some 'difficult' classical music. Don't regret a minute of it, only wish I'd had the opportunity sooner.

Edit: I thank the honourable member for his contributions.

HOLA449
You could post links to stories in the Daily Mail and maybe the odd graph (with no labels and an axes that start anywhere other than 0) and berate anyone who doesn't agree with the 'point' you are making.

Seems to pass the time for a lot of people here.

But seriously? The arts. Lots of things have a time and effort cost to entry. Now is the perfect time to read books that are really slow for the first 50 pages, listen to music you are going to need to hear a few times to get anywhere with, that sort of thing. Between jobs I did all the usual crappy casual work (is it around now though? probably not) read Infinite Jest, Gravity's Rainbow and other things like that and listened to some 'difficult' classical music. Don't regret a minute of it, only wish I'd had the opportunity sooner.

'and axes or an axis'.

Pedantry is a good hobby to help pass the time.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

- Set your basic minimum income requirements, and work on anything to achieve it (pub shifts; vegetable / fruit picking etc.)

- Appreciate the arts - read, listen to music, attend concerts (cheap tickets) - start a blog or a journal documenting your thoughts.

- Take up new hobbies (as per 'off the sauce' thread)

- Stay fit - exercise

- Attend daily mass (if Catholic)

- Stay positive.

Best of luck.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Once when I was very short of money I learnt to bake my own bread.

Very cheap. All you need is flour, yeast and a little sugar.

Fresh and warm out of the oven with some margarine melting on it. Lovely.

Don't forget the water. A little salt can be added too. You don't actually need the sugar either.

HOLA4416
- Set your basic minimum income requirements, and work on anything to achieve it (pub shifts; vegetable / fruit picking etc.)

- Appreciate the arts - read, listen to music, attend concerts (cheap tickets) - start a blog or a journal documenting your thoughts.

- Take up new hobbies (as per 'off the sauce' thread)

- Stay fit - exercise

- Attend daily mass (if Catholic)

- Stay positive.

Best of luck.

Good advice.

Staying fit is essential. Devote about 1-2 hours per day to it. If you let yourself go you will get unfit and lazy and you'll end up a slob without the motivation to do anything.

Get an allotment if you can.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Staying fit is essential. Devote about 1-2 hours per day to it. If you let yourself go you will get unfit and lazy and you'll end up a slob without the motivation to do anything.

I agree that staying / getting fit is important.

I've found that when I'm fit I tend to have a more positive attitude and more self-confidence, both handy for job hunting. Getting a push bike and cycling around can be a good way to keep fit and save money on buses.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
NOW that IS a good idea. I've got Spanish book and cd's infront of me at the moment but I clean forgot about piratebay, thanks! :)

Couldn't agree more. Spanish is great. I started 3 years ago as was always a bit embarrased about not being able to talk to locals when abroad. Spanish is a 'World Language', easy to learn and pick up. The BBC series 'Suenos' is well worth looking at. Infact buy the books/cd's off piratebay.

My plan is to fluck off and live in Canaries, Granada or somewhere similar soon. Am now in a position where I just use Spanish when on hols.

So - why do you want another job? Just fluck off and live in the sun.

This country is flucked anyway - shafted, micro-managed by knobs, full of thick mentalists. :huh:

HOLA4421

volunteer as a sea rescuer, mountain rescuer, rspca/pdsa/nature club volunteer, special constable, st johns ambulance paramedic or first aider, stand outside the golf course and be a glamorous whatever they call it (caddy?) for £20 an hour, get a bicycle + helmet and courier documents across your town, go on the game, rob banks, become an mp

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
Guest theboltonfury
I'm certain that Rolf would have a few ideas as to how you can fill all those spare hours....

Or what you can fill......

Shudders thinking.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived