House Price Crash Forum

Waiting For Years, We're Getting Tired And Depressed

HOLA441
Obviously I understand your point about 'hard' jobs requiring intelligence and training being paid less than others, but just because you believe monetary worth should be the same as your personal definiton of worth, doesn't mean it will be.

Agree...Of course then we get to the problem of defining "hard".

Which is harder? Sitting in a warm office, plugging away at some intellectually stimulating project, in the company of other like-minded people... or getting cold, wet, bored and exhausted shoveling s**t in the rain all day.

Even if the engineering job paid 10% less, I know which I'd prefer! :)

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
Don't get tired of waiting now your aspiration is within reach, the housing market is headed back to affordability and if you're in work and have a clean bill of financial health 'your world' will be OK. You should be feeling as smug as some STRs on 'ere. Downside is we may get armageddon but... :P

Thanks. I know we will be OK. It's just that it's been so annoying to wait for decent housing.

And usually I am more positive. It may be a bad day, due to a flu (or a cold, according to wife).

It looks like rents may be going down around here. We'll probably wait a couple of months, and see if we can find a nice little house, with a garden, for about £100 more in rent, and wait a couple of years to buy, but in much better housing meanwhile.

HOLA444
Thanks. I know we will be OK. It's just that it's been so annoying to wait for decent housing.

And usually I am more positive. It may be a bad day, due to a flu (or a cold, according to wife).

It looks like rents may be going down around here. We'll probably wait a couple of months, and see if we can find a nice little house, with a garden, for about £100 more in rent, and wait a couple of years to buy, but in much better housing meanwhile.

thats if you still have a job........

HOLA445
I'm tired.

(...) thinking about buying a labrador puppy. (...)

(...) I'm still tired though. And depressed. Depression is no laughing matter.

Thank you for your reply.

We want a dog too (we thought about a Goldendoodle - a crossbred between a Golden Retriever and a Poodle). But our landlord doesn't allow us... Another reason to want to move. And most landlords don't allow pets. Another reason for prefering to buy. But we will have to wait...

Re. mood, the best mood enhancer is exercise. I must start exercising again. It worked very well last year.

HOLA446
I agree, it is the most tedious, mind wasting thing waiting for this crash to lay waste to all the MEW'ers, BTL'ers, but keep the faith.

Think about 2010-11 at the earliest to buy, keep in employment (if possible), pay down any debt, keep on saving and don't get too depressed. Prices are going to be decimated - 70% plus falls IMO.

Happy days are (nearly) here again. :)

"most tedious, mind wasting thing". Exactly!

"2010-11 at the earliest". I agree. But I think 70% from peak is too low. I think 40%, IMHO.

I think we should rent a better place, enjoy life a little, and wait for 2 years to buy.

Thank you for replying

HOLA447
While i take your point regarding markets and price i think you may be ignoring something - the giant subsidy to the useless

When wealth is distributed away from production and towards privelige (as it has been, steadily in the uk for at least two decades), people who are essentially useless and have no imagination, nor any idea how to use wealth or potential to create new wealth, end up with wealth and an amount of influence over others, completely out of all proportion to their abilities (which may be barely discernable)

This is more or less what has happened in the uk and it is some part of the reason everything is now falling apart

Exactly, recent events have turned all that on it`s head, so what is the point of this thread? We should be celebrating.I think you are all falling victim to the brainwashing that somehow Gordon or Obama can outdo the HPC`ers at the last minute, like some kind of 1930`s Saturday Matinee, they can`t, all their schemes are hogwash, the talk is designed to avert massive social unrest, nothing more.

To the OP, why not just tour areas where there are the types of housing you want to live in, look for the rental signs, and arrange to view some, whether you think you can afford them or not? Make sure you carry a wallet stuffed with twenties, and be sure to let the agent/owner see this as you give them a contact number, either at the beginning or as you leave them. As soon as you meet the person doing the viewing outside the property tell them up front that you have to leave in half an hour to view the next one, and make a point of taking notes about percieved failings. Always negotiate on the rent AND the deposit.If the house is full of tat, tell them you don`t need it, and that more than a months rental as deposit is not acceptable. Beats sitting round moping? If you visualise what you want strongly enough, it is eventually coming to you. You may have to take a few steps from the dive to your ideal home. but you must start taking the steps. Now is the start of the best time in most of our lives to secure a good property. The only thing that can f*ck it up is a Tin Foil Hat/ Mad Max meltdown which is probably also at it`s most likely in our lifetimes?

HOLA448
There are of course other countries ...

We thought about it. But it took us 5 years to start to get paid reasonably well. I think we will rent a better place for a couple of years,and wait for prices to bottom, then buy.

( BUT, if Gordon Brown calls an early election this spring 2009, and wins, then we will emigrate permanently, as Britain will be bankrupted for a few generations. )

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
To the OP - life is what happens when you're busy making other plans, as a generally overrated scouser once said.

Never a perfect time to have kids mate, and if everyone waited for the perfect time then we'd be extinct. I've just found out i've put my mrs in the club by accident (i meant to get kiera knightly pregnant, but i missed), and we are living in rented accomodation. nearly sh*t myself when i found out, but am now really excited about it. so as mr nike says, just do it. once you've seen your child on the scanner thingy then you will be 100% sure that it is the right time, and that you are capable of doing whatever you need to support it.

LOL, Thanks Postigol, and congratulations!

Yes, we did put our lives on hold for far too long. We will rent a better place around here, and buy in 2 or 3 years.

Cheers,

HOLA4412
Maybe rent a different place? A change of scenery often helps, it doesn't matter if it's rented or bank owned... err, owned.

Yes, most people said that. I am glad. I would love to do that, but I think we were feeling that the "right", "responsible" thing to do would be to stay here, to save more for a deposit. But we are not robots. We need a little house, with a little garden, in a better neighbourhood. We need to feel a little better.

HOLA4413
Yep, tired and depressed here too. Renting and hating it, have around 85k in savings earning crap rate and no idea what else to do with it. Work prospects crap, so by the time I am satisfied with house price falls, I will probably be unemployed anyway. Would maybe consider moving somewhere else, like another planet.

With so much savings you have some good options. Strangely, a business that is re-starting is house renovation, again. Now both buying (in auctions) and selling prices are much lower than in 2007, of course, but there is profit in it again, apparently.

HOLA4414
Good advice on this thread. With the relatively small deposit, it certainly isn't worth jumping in to the market now as it would get eaten up by stamp duty, capital depreciation and fees almost instantly. Prices will continue to come down (and I am a home/debt owner in West Sussex) so just sit tight and things will really start to look better from your perspective.

If you want to start a family, just do it. You could also think about doing some courses or other training to try and boost your income to build up that deposit a bit quicker. Get plenty of exercise, its good for the mind.

"Good advice on this thread." - I agree.

We are earning more now, and may save almost £1,000 per month.

"Get plenty of exercise, its good for the mind."

I know. You are right. I've managed to do some last year, and felt much better. Must get back into it.

Cheers,

HOLA4415

Good man, who'd have ever thought HPC could cheer someone up! :) Heh sometimes life doesnt feel fair, sometimes it isn't fair, but there's always The Fair. Stay young at heart for the sake of the kids you will have. And get shagging, erm, once you're both over the flu.... :unsure:

HOLA4416
go to an auction and pay 20->40% off?

We thought about that. But we'd have to save a little more. I think we'd need at least 6 months for that.

And there are just 2 or 3 properties for auction per month around here (20 miles radius, in West Sussex). I don't know why. Rich area?

And won't auctions get much cheaper in 2010-11?

I think we are leaning towards renting a better place, and buy in 2 years. Perhaps in an auction then.

HOLA4417
With so much savings you have some good options. Strangely, a business that is re-starting is house renovation, again. Now both buying (in auctions) and selling prices are much lower than in 2007, of course, but there is profit in it again, apparently.

Would love to start a business, but wouldn't know where to start. Not cut out to be business man I think. I am also useless at "doing up houses". My DIY efforts are a bit like Frank Spencer or Mr Bean. :lol:

HOLA4418
This thread is like being on MSE :lol:

However my advice is....If you want kids do NOT put it off waiting for the right time,

Our first was an 'accident' as we hadn't planned to have them for another couple of years..looking back,

I consider it the luckiest thing that has ever happened to me, by the time you have got them out of nappies

you will be in a nice AFFORDABLE house thinking the same thing

"MSE"? Sorry, I'm new in this Forum. What is MSE?

"you will be in a nice AFFORDABLE house thinking the same thing"

Thanks middleway.

HOLA4419
"MSE"? Sorry, I'm new in this Forum. What is MSE?

"you will be in a nice AFFORDABLE house thinking the same thing"

Thanks middleway.

MSE = http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

It's like the Expat forum (who deal in Karma) but with more (((HUGZ))) tea and sympathy.

Edited by shakerbaby

HOLA4420
I too feel like I have been waiting a lifetime for this crazy bubble to pop, I too have felt depressed recently, but more to the point very angry that Labour are doing everthing they can to stop it no matter what the cost. I supose the anger manifests itself in depression once you realise that you are powerless to do anything to change labour policy(shouldn't feel like that but it's true)

However recently I have decided to take a more positive look on life and someone once said that if you do something, no matter how small, every day towards achieving your goal then you will achieve it. So that's what I'm going to so. I'm saving hard, looking at auctions sites, looking for plots of land, buying books on how to buy land, reasearching building materials, looking into planning laws, etc etc etc. It all adds up, in 5 years time I intend on having built my own home on my own plot of land. It doesn't amtter if this isn't your dream, it's just an example.

It's all about having goals in my opinion. The fact that the housing market is now finally falling is a bonus in my opinion. Cheers to all those how post on HPC by the way, I reckon I've increased my deposit by 30% by reading on this site, and also Not bought a house at peak! !

Thank you. A very good and uplifting reply. I know you/we will get there. I just needed to moan a bit. I'm much better now. Thanks mainly to all (well, most) of you in this forum.

Cheers

HOLA4421
I know the feeling. My wife struggles just as you do; it's almost a full-time job keeping her happy sometimes (yeah, yeah). I'm afraid that there's no shortcut out of it. We also got married in 2000 and have never been in the position to buy a home at a sensible value relative to our incomes. I keep reminding my wife that timing is everything and that all the people she knows that are well-off waited for the lows before investing in the markets or property. Still, knowing it and feeling it in your bones are different things...

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply dellboy. Usually I am more positive.

(It was a bad morning, and i needed to moan a little.)

And I did get a good motivation shot from this forum!

Thank you all!

We do have to remind ourselves that it WILL get much better.

And you are absolutely right - timing IS everything.

Moreover, if we consider how little disposable income we have left after taxes, rent, living expenses, etc, then we realised how important timing/house-price is. We must get it as right as possible!

HOLA4422
(...) I will never, ever forgive the current government for what they've done. They owe me. They owe me a lot.

That aside, another couple of years is perfectly waitable, especially as the boot's now well and truely on the other foot. If life is an ****-kicking contest, then it's now our turn to kick.

I do pray Gordon Brown won't have the balls to call an early election for the spring of 2009. The polls are tight, and they could just win. Then we would think very seriously about emigrating, as Labour would bankrupt Britain for a few generations.

But if Labour waits longer, then the recession will bite hard, the government will be exposed, and they will lose by a landslide. Hapinessssss, hapinesssss!

Cheers,

HOLA4423
Going against the crowd can be a lonely place sometimes,and under Labour nothing is fair or right.BUT you stood against the madness,.Labour will fail,madhouse economics always do.Value always fights off excess.

Many many people,some just greedy idiots,some simply a bit dim,some simply hoodwinked by Brown will have a horrid next decade.

His bailouts are political nothing more,but they will fail,no primeminister can stop what is happening.

Capital was wasted on a huge scale,in houses and in government and in foreign goods.

The economy is starting a re-balance.Consumption and debt will fall,it cant not.

Capital will flow again into real wealth creation.Houses will fall to levels people can afford on 3 to 4 times earnings and 10% deposits.

Remember the words of Oscar Wilde,"when people agree with me i feel i must be wrong"

Yes right now your in a crappy flat,but you will cross the line into a home soon enough,and those who went above their station will find themselves in crappy flats,not for 8 years,but for a lifetime.

That will not be your fate.You and your wife have worked hard,youv gone against the crowd,you waited against all ramping.

I book i read from the great crash of 29 said it best.Its pages are yellow now but the words are as true today as then "wealth always returns to its rightfull owners from speculators"

Your actions and common sense make you one of those rightfull owners,like most on this great site.

Dont feel alone and sad,your a winner,and your time is fast approaching.Stick to the flat for now,,keep saving and get ready to pull the trigger around IMHO January 2010.

Id wish you luck,but you dont need it,youl be in a nice home soon enough and when you have children remember to teach them about bubbles ,its the best lesson a parent can ever teach.

Thank you very much for your good reply durhamborn,

We will wait, and buy in 2010 (or 2011?). I know we will be ok, eventually.

I just felt a bit down today, but this "great site" did help, a lot. You included.

Cheers,

HOLA4424
Steve good luck to you and yours, and the OP. Sad to see (not in your case) just how limiting this economic mayhem of the past few years has been on folk simply getting on with their lives. But should it be that way for the OP? Putting lives on hold in order to afford home ownership?

I read this wrong first time. I thought you had written "this economic mayhem of the past few years has been folk simply getting on with their lives". And actually, I thought that was a great comment. No-one can guess the market.

HOLA4425

I don't agree with those who have advised you to just go ahead and have children. Some children can indeed enhance your life but some children can give you a whole load of other problems. So, the best thing to do is have children when you are happy within yourself, and with eachother, of course. If you were to go ahead and have a child whilst feeling so negative and you had a child who was quite content and sleep fairly well after a few months then that would be a good thing. If, on the other hand, you were feeling negative and had a child, like my youngest for instance, then things could get rather 'dark'. I was and am happy in my life and with my husband and yet my youngest who has been a very difficult child, has had a negative affect on my life at times so much so that I often wonder how the hell we would have coped if we were't happy to begin with.

Babies should be made when one is so brimming full of love and joy that the only way to deal with it is to spread it a little, namely by creating another life with which to share it with.