House Price Crash Forum

Oh Jeez ... Is It Me?

dipstick

HOLA441

Just a bit of moral support needed because I am feeling all alone ...

So far this week I haven't actually had a conversation about the current situation. I've had, "Oh let's not talk about it now. No use worrying about it there's nothing you can do. Mr Brown was a terrible chancellor but he's the only man who can get us out of this. Don't be such a doom-monger 'they' won't let it get worse. Mr Brown is going up in the polls now he's getting things sorted. Yes, but they have to pay the bankers their bonuses to retain the talent at the top."

The last one has just pushed me over the edge ...

support needed please!!!!!!

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Not my experience round here; everyone is suddenly agreeing with the things I've been saying for years (and I'm trying hard not to be too smug about it).

Maybe people are more stubborn in your neck of the woods - but don't worry, the bears are still s***ing there.

Smith

HOLA445
HOLA446
All you read in the press these days is doom and gloom which is why house prices are falling. If the press were a bit more responsible or willing to talk about happy stories, we would have a much healthier market.

Indeed, all this talk of bns here and trns there, it could easily make a government go into panic mode.

Why next, theyll be paying bonuses to bankers and members of parliament will be taking refuge on russian oligarchs boats and things.

HOLA447

I've got to admit that round here and in talking to relations, I haven't seen any change - other than that some people have gone a bit quiet over the last week. I'm presuming they've either lost on the shares or money is in Iceland.

In fact, it's now me that's avoiding talking to people because I think I won't be able to contain myself. The other day somebody came to the door and I pretended to be on the phone ... how sad is that?

Martini must be joking - I hope ...

HOLA448
I've got to admit that round here and in talking to relations, I haven't seen any change - other than that some people have gone a bit quiet over the last week. I'm presuming they've either lost on the shares or money is in Iceland.

In fact, it's now me that's avoiding talking to people because I think I won't be able to contain myself. The other day somebody came to the door and I pretended to be on the phone ... how sad is that?

Martini must be joking - I hope ...

sounds like you have a debt problem yourself.

go and see someone soon. Debt or mental health needs treatment early.

HOLA449

Too much time on HPC scares people. Life goes on. The park is still there; go and sit in it and have a picnic.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Most bods I know are recent converts, didnt want to know about this for the last 5 years, was a doom monger when telling them to watch the spending. Since their revelations they have almost completely forgotten their previous mindset and are now telling me. Exception to this is the Australian rels/friends, telling me that its just a problem with the poms and yanks and wont affect them (Still doing the MEW and big spending). I fully expect them to convert in the next few months to the new religion and then start trying to indoctrinate me.

HOLA4414
Why would you think I'd got debt?

I haven't but I'm really intrigued as to your comment.

I'm just worried for all of us.

well.... its because you said you were afraid to answer the door... many people who get very stressed about a situation will withdraw, wont answer the door or phone, and so on.

if you really are feeling like this, go see the doc and go on a relaxation course or something.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
well.... its because you said you were afraid to answer the door... many people who get very stressed about a situation will withdraw, wont answer the door or phone, and so on.

if you really are feeling like this, go see the doc and go on a relaxation course or something.

Ah! I see now.

Nope, I just didn't want to speak to anybody because I couldn't cope with the usual drivel of; Not bad weather, Did you see X-factor, you're worrying about nothing ...

I think sometimes I just need to feel as if I'm having a grown up conversation about the real world whether it's good or bad ...

Not there anymore, Gruffydd, but I do have a goat named Geraint in honour of the Welsh - of which I think very highly! (not being sarcastic in case you were wondering)

HOLA4417

So far this week I haven't actually had a conversation about the current situation. I've had, "Oh let's not talk about it now. No use worrying about it there's nothing you can do. Mr Brown was a terrible chancellor but he's the only man who can get us out of this. Don't be such a doom-monger 'they' won't let it get worse. Mr Brown is going up in the polls now he's getting things sorted. Yes, but they have to pay the bankers their bonuses to retain the talent at the top."

The last one has just pushed me over the edge ...

support needed please!!!!!!

I've been feeling a little disenchanted too. I keep heraring stupid comments like 'if the newsreaders stopped talking about it and we all went out and started spending again, it would all be fine'

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
Yes I know what you mean I am really struggling with it all to I cant get the ph balance right on my pool and I dont know how to deal with it...

Maybe all the broke middle class Brisbanians have been using it as a pissoir on the way home from the bread line.

HOLA4420

Most people I know are burying their heads in the sand. Amongst the majority, the subject is avoided altogether. This is probably because they are sh1tting it, the major employer around here is JP Morgan, also most of them are mortgaged to the hilt.

There seems to be a whole new raft of doublespeak trotted out now:

"It will sort itelf out by next year"

"We're through the worst of it"

"The media is talking us in to recession"

"The government will do something"

All of which act as a total barrier to critical thinking, which is the real problem.

HOLA4421

Hi Dipstick

Not sure that I can give you the support you're looking for, but I just wanted to remind you of your own decision to aim for a degree of self-sufficiency some years back. Your reasoning at the time should serve as moral support, as it was based on foresight of what might happen. Your experience, good or bad, serves as an inspiration to others in your community, particularly those that might have been perplexed by your zeal. Your story continues, albeit, interrupted by seismic events, but in reality, these macro events are heavily diluted when they hit the micro level, simply because people like you are there to help others in momentary despair. The foresight that comes with being a member of HPC means that you should not be afraid to open the door. Instead it should give you strength to brace yourself against the shattered illusions that made up the well being of what you know, at heart, to be decent people. Those illusions will be seen, in time, for the folly that they are, but I would go further; that your experience will not only help to reveal that, but through its shared momentum it will leave a noble legacy for a generation.

HOLA4422
Hi Dipstick

Not sure that I can give you the support you're looking for, but I just wanted to remind you of your own decision to aim for a degree of self-sufficiency some years back. Your reasoning at the time should serve as moral support, as it was based on foresight of what might happen. Your experience, good or bad, serves as an inspiration to others in your community, particularly those that might have been perplexed by your zeal. Your story continues, albeit, interrupted by seismic events, but in reality, these macro events are heavily diluted when they hit the micro level, simply because people like you are there to help others in momentary despair. The foresight that comes with being a member of HPC means that you should not be afraid to open the door. Instead it should give you strength to brace yourself against the shattered illusions that made up the well being of what you know, at heart, to be decent people. Those illusions will be seen, in time, for the folly that they are, but I would go further; that your experience will not only help to reveal that, but through its shared momentum it will leave a noble legacy for a generation.

both you and starcrossed are IMHO the coolest posters on here. Respect. B)

HOLA4423
Yes, but they have to pay the bankers their bonuses to retain the talent at the top.

I heard this same idea being peddled on radio 4 just now- I wonder if this mythology will survive when people really start to get hurt by the incompetance of all that 'top talent' over the last ten years.

HOLA4424

There is nothing, you, me, Gordon Brown, or even God Almighty, can do now. It's going to be bad, real bad, and people will put their head in the sand and deny anything is wrong weven when they lose their jobs and their things are repossessed. Reality is not something most people deal with terribly well. One of the reasons I spend time on this forum is that the subject matters we discuss are verboten within my real life. In my real life, whilst people do read the newspapers, and watch the TV, the information they contain has no relevance to them, even when they are losing their jobs and getting repossessed. It is a serious disconnect.

Anyway, life goes on, it's not that important. We will muddle through, albeit in somewhat reduced circumstances. The other night friends were telling us how now is an ideal time to buy and we should get a £400,000 mortgage like them. I politely declined.......well.......I couldn't exactly say, "I'm waiting for people like you to be repossessed and then intend to buy with the cash I have.......", it doesn't make for lasting friendships.

So, in conclusion, it's not you, it's everyone else. The fact is, what is deemed to be normal is far from it.

HOLA4425
Yes I know what you mean I am really struggling with it all to I cant get the ph balance right on my pool and I dont know how to deal with it...

Couldn't stop laughing at this one Bardon, it was like being poked with a red hot stick!

Well, Liquid, thank-you.

Thing is, although I know a lot of people on here are waiting to get homes of their own, additionally they genuinely are trying to warn and prepare others for problems ahead. It is so difficult when, as others have clearly said here, that their warnings are shrugged off or dismissed out of hand. We are ... or is it now, were, The Doom-Mongers!!!

I have spent many frustrating minutes (because that's usually how long I've been given) trying to get my family prepared - only in a contingency sense (what's wrong with a contingency plan) - over the last four years, and all of it, ALL, has fallen on deaf ears.

Maybe it's because when they laughingly asked, "Okay then, where's the bottom going to be?" I've said, "I really don't know." They go 'Pah! and I say, "No, even with my doom-mongering I really can't see where all this is going to end up!!!"

I dunno ...

Edited by dipstick