House Price Crash Forum

'why I'm Still Working Aged 76'

Injin

HOLA441

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7540790.stm

She should have been retired for 16 years, but Vera Kirk says she cannot afford to stop working.

Which is why Vera, 76, is still employed on the checkout in Asda, in Kendal, Cumbria where she has worked for 18 years.

"I don't get a lot of pension, £113 a week," she told BBC One's The One Show.

She added: "My lifestyle would have to change if I didn't work."

Vera is not alone, as according to figures released by the Office for National Statistics in July, there are 1.3m workers of pensionable age in the UK.

Analysts such as Professor John MacNicol, pin the blame on the low state pension.

P O N Z I

HOLA442

She has to work to keep public servants so that they can retire at 60 with a gold plated pension. She should park her car car in the middle of a busy road every day and leave it until this kind of situation gets recognised. Harriet Harmen said that MPS are entitled to their John Lewis List to furnish their second homes !!!!! What kind of system do we have here ?????

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
"My lifestyle would have to change if I didn't work."

:blink: or :angry: (I can't decide)

It's probably going from paying the bills and having pink wafer biscuits and lucozade for the grandchildren, or living in a hedge.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
It's probably going from paying the bills and having pink wafer biscuits and lucozade for the grandchildren, or living in a hedge.

I read her comment as though "going to work at Asda aged 76" somehow didn't form part of her lifestyle

HOLA449
HOLA4410
Harriet Harmen said that MPS are entitled to their John Lewis List to furnish their second homes !!!!!
Twelve voices were shouting in anger, and they were all alike. No question, now, what had happened to the faces of the pigs. The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

George Orwell, Animal Farm

Harridan Harm-man is well suited to such behavior.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Is there an ASDA in Kendal now then?!

Wow it is surely moving up in the world. She is lucky to be living there, a very nice and sought after part of the world. She should think herself fortunate she is not stuck in some hell hole and still needing to go out to work.

She lives in a mint cake.

HOLA4413
Probably better for her health and mind to keep working, otherwise they just sit around and drink tea.

And bother their GP about some trivial little symptom caused by having mowed the lawn, drunk tea and spoken to Stan down the road who thinks Betty might have had the same thing a few years ago and now she's dead.

HOLA4414
Is there an ASDA in Kendal now then?!

Wow it is surely moving up in the world. She is lucky to be living there, a very nice and sought after part of the world. She should think herself fortunate she is not stuck in some hell hole and still needing to go out to work.

What a nasty remark. This lady came through the war and has contributed many taxes to this country that you have benefited through. Fortunate ? who are you Ghengas Khan ?

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
What a nasty remark. This lady came through the war and has contributed many taxes to this country that you have benefited through. Fortunate ? who are you Ghengas Khan ?

Taxation is also a Ponzi scheme. It needs to contract along with the services provided.

HOLA4417

Sorry, you missunderstand me.

I am not saying she is fortunate to have a job. I am though making a reference to how much worse her situation might be if she lived in some horrible part of the country where not only she might need to work but was likely to be mugged on the way home. Kendal is a lovely place (or it was last time I was there - admittadly that was some time ago).

It is obviously not great that she feels she still has to work.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
Probably better for her health and mind to keep working, otherwise they just sit around and drink tea.

Quite right. It would be much better also for public sector employees retiring at 60? They too would benefit if they had to work until age 76?

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
My grandfather worked until he was around 80. He chose to do so, said he'd be bored otherwise.

I can understand that. Having done the unemployed/watching soaps all day bit (The Young Doctors was probably my lowest ebb) I'm happier having something to keep me occupied.

HOLA4423

To also clarify,this woman does not need to work unless she is in debt.The absolute minimum is £120 per week(pensioners minimum income guarantee).Plus free unlimited travel on buses nationwide,plus winter fuel allowance ,plus council tax paid,plus rent paid,plus presciptions paid,plus tv licence paid.A package for a working person worth 12k-20k per year net depending on where you live.

The people who are really f**ked are the ones at the margins who have to live on perhaps a quarter of what a pensioner lives on after housing costs.We have had numerous examples of working men who have peanuts after maintenance etc.Also young people starting out paying rents to landlords.Whilst they live on beans on toast they can only dream of a minimum income guarantee lifesyle of joy riding on the bus pass(a free excursion every day)queueing at the butchers for red meat,putting twenty quid a week on the lotto and all the other indulgences pensioners enjoy.

If you are in the welfare net you are fine,but there are drones that are screwed for every penny and can't get benefits.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA4424
I can understand that. Having done the unemployed/watching soaps all day bit (The Young Doctors was probably my lowest ebb) I'm happier having something to keep me occupied.

I thought daytime television was a goverment scheme to get people back into work :rolleyes:

HOLA4425
Sorry, you missunderstand me.

I am not saying she is fortunate to have a job. I am though making a reference to how much worse her situation might be if she lived in some horrible part of the country where not only she might need to work but was likely to be mugged on the way home. Kendal is a lovely place (or it was last time I was there - admittadly that was some time ago).

It is obviously not great that she feels she still has to work.

No problem and thanks for the explanation. We have the lowest state pensions in Europe realtive to costs etc, we are not surprised.

Respect age and think before you quote. Its got me into trouble too !!!!