HOLA441
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

I wish you the best of luck.

However, if you were buying just now what kinds of offer would you put in .... and be happy to buy at? Keep in mind that the first 6 months of 2008 have seen propert prices fall by anwhere between 8% to almost 10%. Offers of 20% below asking price will protect you to the end of 2008 and 30% below will protect you to somewhere like mid 2009, or perhaps autumn 2009. I suspect you will need quite a bit of luck to get one of the remaining naieve suckers walking around willing to offer the traditional -10% offer to start off with (for a normal stable market) and willing to settle on about 5% below asking price. There are obviously some of these p[eople around but come the autumn I suspect the market will become much nastier (for sellers) than it is now - particularly after the media have a field day when the YoY house price falls reach double digits.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
Are you in Locks Heath/Warsash?

I used to live in Locks Heath and loved it, we'd like to move back across there tbh.

Apologies, Tatty, I've onl just seen this. We're actually in Sarisbury Green in a quiet backwater to the north of the A27 behind the Bold Forester - and not a million miles from ATCC as the crow flies, as it happens.

Locks Heath is fine, the problem is that with all the new estates down there and in Warsash, trying to access the A27/M27 in rush hour traffic can be a nightmare. We'd like to move to Warsash, but TBH the traffic really does put us off (and the current housing market, of course ;) ).

Sorry to be so disparaging about Whiteley and I really hope you get some serious viewers this weekend.

HOLA447

Had a few couples round today for the open viewing, one couple came back again for another look.

The guy selling his came round to have a chat about me having an open day at the same time as him....he was not happy, lol.

I wouldn't be surprised to see an offer from the young couple but I suspect it'll be around £200-205 mark which isn't going to be enough although she's planning to rent hers out so i'm not sure they'd even get the financing.

We'll see on monday.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
Didn't you say you'd lowered the price to 'OIEO £199K'? Then I don't understand.

p

The £199k is just to flush some offers out over the next couple of weeks and see what sort of level the market is at.

Similar 4 dbl-bd townhouses have gone very recently for £250k and a couple are on the market now at that price so £215k would still be a steal, especially for sunny Hampshire!

I don't need to sell and i'm quite content to stay if no offers come in.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Just lowered the price to OIEO £199,950 and having an open day on saturday.

Lets see if that generates some interest.

So - just for clarity - if someone offers you the advertised price you are not willing to accept it?

Does this mean you are using their time and expectations just to test the water before trying the house at a higher price?

Or have I got it all wrong?

HOLA4413
So - just for clarity - if someone offers you the advertised price you are not willing to accept it?

Does this mean you are using their time and expectations just to test the water before trying the house at a higher price?

Or have I got it all wrong?

Nope, you've got it right.

The ea has just rung with an offer of £200k from the couple I mentioned which I refused.

The ea wanted me to give him a ballpark figure but I refused to tell him what I want and told him to thank the couple and invite them to make a higher offer if they wished at which point i'd tell him if it was acceptable or not.

Telling the ea the figure you'll except doesn't sit right with me.

HOLA4414
Nope, you've got it right.

The ea has just rung with an offer of £200k from the couple I mentioned which I refused.

The ea wanted me to give him a ballpark figure but I refused to tell him what I want and told him to thank the couple and invite them to make a higher offer if they wished at which point i'd tell him if it was acceptable or not.

Telling the ea the figure you'll except doesn't sit right with me.

Not when you can get more, eh ?

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Not when you can get more, eh ?

In my experience of buying houses the ea has invariably quoted the price that the vendor will accept which sort of questions the integrity of the premise that the ea is working for the seller.

If the ea has no idea what price you're willing to accept then he must be completely straight with both seller and buyer which is a much fairer and more transparent concept.

I'm sure you'll agree fairness and transparency is something all of us hpc'ers are looking for.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
By "gone", do you mean exchanged/completed?

Yep, sold for £250k and completed and logged on the LR.

There are a number of ea signs up around here and i'd say the split is 75/25 'for sale'/'sold' so there is still some movement even if it is nowhere near last years crazy levels.

HOLA4419
You deserve to get burnt

Why? Not all homeowners and sellers are the enemy of this site you know, i've been a supporter of hpc for years and I still am.

Just because someone is selling a house you shouldn't be so consumed with bile and hatred at your own position that you feel the need to blindly spew that anger out at faceless people on an internet board.

I'm sharing my attempt to sell the house with the board because I thought people would be interested in hearing the reality from someone on their side but if it is making you angry i'm quite happy to stop.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Why? Not all homeowners and sellers are the enemy of this site you know, i've been a supporter of hpc for years and I still am.

Just because someone is selling a house you shouldn't be so consumed with bile and hatred at your own position that you feel the need to blindly spew that anger out at faceless people on an internet board.

I'm sharing my attempt to sell the house with the board because I thought people would be interested in hearing the reality from someone on their side but if it is making you angry i'm quite happy to stop.

Not angry in my case, but curious to know if - when you are buying your next house - you would be happy to deal with a seller who won't give you the agreed figure he/she will sell at. Effectively, inviting tenders?

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
Not angry in my case, but curious to know if - when you are buying your next house - you would be happy to deal with a seller who won't give you the agreed figure he/she will sell at. Effectively, inviting tenders?

If the seller had priced their house way way below anything comparable with the caveat of OIEO then I would offer what I was prepared to pay for the house.

I really don't see what is underhand about that.

HOLA4425
Have you accepted?

No.

They were a really nice young couple who are planning to rent theirs out and buy somewhere bigger; I resisted the urge to suggest they look at selling before taking on another house in this market.