House Price Crash Forum
tatty

Just Put My House Up For Sale

Should have listened to you lot last summer when i'd sold my other house, lol.

It was a coin flip on whether I went in to rented...I reckon that flip is going to cost me £40k.

Anyway, bought for £250k in May 07 and i've just put it on the market for £229,950 so let's see if it sells.

I'll take £220k if someone is daft enough to offer it.

Guest KingCharles1st

It was a coin flip on whether I went in to rented...I reckon that flip is going to cost me £40k.

Anyway, bought for £250k in May 07 and i've just put it on the market for £229,950 so let's see if it sells.

Well- at least you're honest! ;)

But- how long will it take the transaction to go through- might be better to look for a cash buyer who will COMPLETE with minimum delay..?

I'll give you £115K. You'll only have to settle for that next year.

Bit late to STR innit ! :rolleyes:

How did the discussion with the Estate Agent go? Did they try to talk you down in price? Did they make any reference to recent sale prices when suggesting an asking price?

How did the discussion with the Estate Agent go? Did they try to talk you down in price? Did they make any reference to recent sale prices when suggesting an asking price?

Greasy Spotty One: "Market is still firm, houses are still selling round here"

Tatty: "You can't move for 'For Sale' signs"

GSO: "We'll put your house on for £249,999 with an expected sale price of £240"

Tatty: "Let's put it on for £229,950 and try and get some viewings"

no mortgage exit fees? lets say 4% for that, or £10k.

2.5k stamp duty.

1.5% estate agent fee on sale of 230k:: 3.5k

loss on sale, if you sell for 230k that is:: 20k

£36k loss. More than what most people can save in 3 years. that is a lot of money.

Most people wouldn't be able to afford that and would have to sit it out in the hope of recovery. If you can afford it, it isn't a bad move.

edit: out of interest, how do you plan to pay back this 36k loss if it sells for 230k, 46k loss if it sells for 220k. savings?

Edited by cells

no mortgage exit fees? lets say 4% for that, or £10k.

2.5k stamp duty.

1.5% estate agent fee on sale of 230k:: 3.5k

loss on sale, if you sell for 230k that is:: 20k

£36k loss. More than what most people can save in 3 years. that is a lot of money.

Most people wouldn't be able to afford that and would have to sit it out in the hope of recovery. If you can afford it, it isn't a bad move.

edit: out of interest, how do you plan to pay back this 36k loss if it sells for 230k, 46k loss if it sells for 220k. savings?

The exit fee is £4750 plus c£1300 for the thieving EA's so it'll be around £6k on top of whatever the house goes for under £250k.

My mortgage is £168k so whilst it's a bit of a downer losing the money its only what I made from being in the last house for 18 months or so.

To be honest we've never really taken to the house and it was always going to be an interim move so i'd rather take a smaller kick in the b*llocks now than hang on 18 months and take an even bigger one!

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
Come on... we want a Rightmove link or similar!

Yes. We want to mock your ugly purchase.

To be honest we've never really taken to the house and it was always going to be an interim move so i'd rather take a smaller kick in the b*llocks now than hang on 18 months and take an even bigger one!

Congratulations... you've just leapt ahead of about a million people in the "taking a pragmatic approach" stakes! :)

I'll put one up when it goes on Rightmove so you can laugh and say it's worth £2 and not a penny more. :lol:

One year too late, amigo ... (he says smugly having STR'd in October 2007).

:rolleyes:

EDIT: Must remember what year it is.

Edited by keef

That's what I like, some genuine and brave British honesty. A noble sentiment lost in the modern age of Americanised corporate lies.

If I was hiring, I'd give you a job on the back of this thread.

TFH

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
I'll put one up when it goes on Rightmove so you can laugh and say it's worth £2 and not a penny more. :lol:

We like a man who puts his own head in the stocks. Good man.

Edited by DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Ouch! that's gotta hurt! I take your point that it is "notional money" in that you made it through HPI but it could have been "real money" if you'd banked your last sale proceeds. Well done for taking the pain now though it's not going to get better if you wait is it? I STR on 22/10/07 (funny how you remember some dates!) and am still thanking my lucky stars 9 months later so if you are anything like me you'll be kicking yourself for years over this. A member of this forum since 2005 as well, Ouch!

My nan passed away last year, her house has been on the market since November and on one is interested. Unfortunately I'm not the sole executor and have to deal with the "prices only ever go up" brigade. Its currently at 175k with no interest. The other party are blaming the estate agent and we've decided to move (I think its just too expensive..) The new estate agent has just valued it at 160k, I think that is still over the top. It needs completely gutting. It still has the same carpet as when it was built (1966!).

I'll post an RM link when it's back up with the new agent. Annoyingly, someone has just put another house up for sale on the sme street at 175k. It's only a small culdisac, going to have to really undercut them to get it sold due to the work that needs doing.

Can we not postpone the crash until all of is HPCers have gotten out at the top? ;)

My nan passed away last year, her house has been on the market since November and on one is interested. Unfortunately I'm not the sole executor and have to deal with the "prices only ever go up" brigade. Its currently at 175k with no interest. The other party are blaming the estate agent and we've decided to move (I think its just too expensive..) The new estate agent has just valued it at 160k, I think that is still over the top. It needs completely gutting. It still has the same carpet as when it was built (1966!).

I'll post an RM link when it's back up with the new agent. Annoyingly, someone has just put another house up for sale on the sme street at 175k. It's only a small culdisac, going to have to really undercut them to get it sold due to the work that needs doing.

Can we not postpone the crash until all of is HPCers have gotten out at the top? ;)

The top is past, all of us trying to sell missed it, but better late than even later. Try to persuade the 'hpi' brigade to bring the price down, although if eight months with no interest is not enough to convince them I don't know what will.

I put my flat on the market at the end of May. I wasn't planning on selling but, for several reasons, I might not stay in London for as long as I thought and will probably move back to Spain (where I'm originally from) in the near future. The ea recommended an asking price of 190K. After checking similar properties in the area and seeing they had the same sort of price or higher, I decided to start with 187,500. After two weeks with no interest at all I asked the ea to drop it to 180K. That got me a viewing straight away but nothing else for another three weeks. By then I was thinking there were just no buyers out there, but last week I had another viewing and I've accepted an offer for 170K.

I bought the flat in May 2006 for 148K and I've spent another 4K renovating it. I think it all depends on the type of property (condition, which kind of road it's on, etc) and putting a realistic price. Of course, every day I worry that the sale is going to fall through and just hope we'll be able to complete soon.

Best of luck with your sale but do plead with the others to have some common sense.