House Price Crash Forum

Daily Express Reduced To Pathetic Pleading

HOLA441

15031025.jpg

With every house price prediction made by this laughing stock of a newspaper now lying in ruins (particularly "who say there's a slump?" a couple of months back), I find it particularly amusing that they're now reduced to begging for desperate measures to stall the inevitable crash <_<

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I have a Private Eye annual from 2000 which has Express and Mail headlines predicting a massive slump in house prices, just at the start of the fastest HPI in modern history.

I generally find you are best to think the exact opposite of these papers and you'll be on the right side of the arguement.

However I had a conversation last night with someone who has a friend buying a 3 bed house in the worst part of town for £230k, I asked if she was aware that house prices were falling fast but got the stock reply of "yeah but it is a bargin and it's the best time to buy"

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
Utter bol.locks! House prices have dropped way more than stamp duty recently. What do they want, blood?

Oh all right then. In a bath :D

Halifax says average house has dropped £19,500 from £199,800 to £180,300.

Stamp duty on the average house is therefore now £1803.

If a drop of £19500 didn't improve affordability, why will a drop of £1803?

HOLA449
HOLA4410
Halifax says average house has dropped £19,500 from £199,800 to £180,300.

Stamp duty on the average house is therefore now £1803.

If a drop of £19500 didn't improve affordability, why will a drop of £1803?

Exact-o! Well put.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Whilst prices are dropping 1 or 2% per month, it obviously makes no difference. Buyers would just wait. Prices will be dropping into lower stamp duty bands anyway. If average prices gets down to 100K, thats well under the 1% threshold.

Hovever, when we reach the time where the falls are mostly over and there is a mix of up and down monthly changes, it can lower the barrier to entry for cash buyers and those with decent deposits.

By narrowing the distance between buyers capacity and seller demands, there should be a slight increase in the number of transactions.

VMR.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
15031025.jpg

With every house price prediction made by this laughing stock of a newspaper now lying in ruins (particularly "who say there's a slump?" a couple of months back), I find it particularly amusing that they're now reduced to begging for desperate measures to stall the inevitable crash <_<

So what if I can save a couple of k on stamp duty.

If prices keep falling, the type of property I want will drop out of stamp duty banding anyway.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
you lot avin a laugh its Christie Brinkley stunning model from the 80's who was once married to Billy Joel who's song Uptown Girl was penned re his relationship to her.

Maybe im showing my age

You forgot to add in Global Warming, Food and Fuel prices / panic and "The Credit Crunch" attacking some poor defenceless old lady again...... :P

AJ

HOLA4422
Tomorrow it will be an apocalyptic weather forecast, the day after madeleine, then diana, then house related headline again.

Being the editor of the Express must be the easiest job in the world

You forgot to add in Global Warming, Food and Fuel prices / panic and "The Credit Crunch" attacking some poor defenceless old lady again...... :P

AJ