House Price Crash Forum

Difficulty In Finding This Website

HOLA441

I first saw this site in July last year, while I was trying to sell my house. After we moved I upgraded my computer, but lost all my bookmarks and consequently forgot about HPC.

More recently I remembered about this site and set about trying to find it. I couldn't remember the exact name, but was sure it had 'House Price' in it somewhere. I tried typing into Google 'House Prices' or 'Housing Market' but this site was nowhere to be seen. I eventually found it, but it was well tucked away and if I didn't already know of its existence I would have given up long before.

The point I am trying to make is that if I found it that difficult to find, when I know of it's existence, what chance does a more casual surfer stand? If the idea is to raise awareness of this site, then appearing on the first page of a google search would be a great start.

I am sure a lot of potential buyers must be worried about the state of the market and look to the internet for more information. This website can provide an invaluable resource for such people if only they could find it!!

Apologies if this topic has already been covered elsewhere.

HOLA442
HOLA443
Type in 'house price crash' or even 'house crash' and it's number 1 on Google.

Yes, but if someone types in 'house price crash' or 'house crash', there is a good chance that they are already of the same opinion as the majority of people on this site. In other words, preaching to the converted.

If they type in 'House prices' or 'housing market', they will find various VI sites doing their usual talking up of the market. There is a fair chance that anyone doing such a search wants reassurance that the market is not going to crash.

Surely these are the type of people this website should be trying to attract, in order to expose them to a viewpoint they might not see otherwise?

HOLA444
Yes, but if someone types in 'house price crash' or 'house crash', there is a good chance that they are already of the same opinion as the majority of people on this site. In other words, preaching to the converted.

If they type in 'House prices' or 'housing market', they will find various VI sites doing their usual talking up of the market. There is a fair chance that anyone doing such a search wants reassurance that the market is not going to crash.

Surely these are the type of people this website should be trying to attract, in order to expose them to a viewpoint they might not see otherwise?

100% correct.

HOLA445

You need to talk to The Monkey, not the organ grinder.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Good point Surrey Bloke, I don't know the first thing about raising the profile of this site on google, but there are plenty of star trek fans, I mean IT workers ;) , out there who could help...

HOLA448
The trick is to link to this site from as many google indexed forums as possible, preferably with the name of the link being "House Prices".  Eventually this site will be weighted higher and higher for that search then.

What if someone puts a very large number of links all on one site - does that also increase the weighting enough?

HOLA449
What if someone puts a very large number of links all on one site - does that also increase the weighting enough?

My brother-in-law has a website in which the number of hits rose considerably when he put more effort into getting on the first page of google.

I'm not sure exactly how he did it (unfortunately he's on holiday at the moment), but if anyone out there knows...?

Perhaps the webmaster or whoever is in charge of HPC could look into it?

Great site - needs a wider audience.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Similar story here. I found this site a good 9 months ago, but was unable to bookmark it at the time. A few months later I remembered how good the site was but couldn't find it again. I gave up searching, but had another go a few months after that. I eventually found it amongst the depths of a google search. The page it linked to was a forum post. I must've never tried typing house and crash in the same sentence - no idea why it didn't occur to me. I guess I just kept typing things like 'property' 'news' 'housing' 'information' 'first time buyer' 'good time to buy!?'

HOLA4414
No.  A higher weighting will be given if the links are from different sites.

Seeing the result for "Miserable Failure" is an example of this working with people putting the link of that title on their blogs.

done my bit here:

http://www.intopolitics.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

This can help to increase HPC rating for certains words in googles ranking system

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_bomb

For example, if a user registers many domains and all of them link to a main site with the text "... is a living legend" then searching for "living legend" on Google will return the main site higher in the ranking, even if the phrase "living legend" doesn't appear on the main site. A common means of exploiting this is through weblogs, where although the entry may disappear from the main page quickly, the short-term effects of a link can dramatically affect the ranking of a given site. Empirical results indicate that it does not take a large number of websites to achieve a Googlebomb. The effect has been achieved with only a handful of dedicated weblogs.

So by following the way of the monkey and linking to hpc using certains keywords can help move up the ranking.

when linking to this site use keywords such as

'property' 'news' 'housing' 'information' 'first time buyer' 'good time to buy'

HOLA4418

Got to be carfeul google have changed their rules (not that anyone knows exactly what these rules are!! )

Basically google ended up getting 'spammed' by loads of portal sites basically just sites full of links. Also most sites were just filling pages with links. Google now rates pages and the rating of these pages affects how valued the links are. Links from pages with low ratings (i.e 0 being low 5 neutral and 10 high) have a neutral or negative effect.

To see a page rating download the google page rating extension (if using firefox) not sure how you would go about getting it on I.E. However I may be speaking rubbish when it comes to dicussion forums as I see this page has a ranking of 0 :)

HOLA4419
HOW TO FIND THIS WEBSITE

1: Turn left at Yahoo

2: straight over the Altavista roundabout

3: Hang a right at the bins behind www.sputum.com

4: Bingo.

I am actually coming on public transport via the Information Superhighway.

HOLA4420