House Price Crash Forum

Is Reducing Fuel Duty An Option For The Government

HOLA441

A number of work colleagues and now friends are muttering that the Government will cut fuel duty to offset the global rise of oil.

Oil is now at record highs and set continue for the foreseeable future, up until now the government has been reluctant to cut the duty as these are seen as blips from month to month, though this time these high fuel prices look set to continue and are starting to hurt the economy at a time when things are naturally starting to slow.

Fuel prices are driving up inflation and pushing alot of people over the edge when combined with food and energy cost increases.

I have had a think about it and I know many are going to say they cannot afford to cut duty, but weighing it up I see a good chance they will, especially with labour trailing at the polls.

Cuts will be made elsewhere if need be just to keep the wheels turning, free bus passes for over 60s scrapped in wales maybe?

They may choose to scrap or lower the VAT on energy costs to offset the rise of Electricity and Gas, again they will need to juggle the books but once the economy goes into free fall its to late and repossessions lead to social housing and payments.

It may be a case of the lesser of 2 evils

HOLA442

At the moment they are planning to increase duty in five months time. Their borrowing requirement is at record highs. A fall in tax receipts from house sales and economic slowdown isn't going to give them any room for duty cuts. They will have to cut back public spending and raise taxes before long. We are going into a recession with no room for manoeuvre. They could do lots of things by just printing more money, but the value of the pound is falling causing price rises for our import reliant economy. Its a big mess...

http://uk.reuters.com/article/domesticNews...118096820080121

HOLA443
HOLA444
The government raises around £22bn a year in fuel duty - far more than the £13bn it raises from council tax or the combined revenue from taxes on cigarettes, alcohol and gambling.
Given that it costs £420m to take 1p off the price of a litre of fuel, according to the independent think tank, the Institute for Fiscal Studies

that was back in 2000, you can probably double those figures now

so £800m or more to cut 1p off fuel.

they would need to cut 20p just to get back to where we where 12 months ago

do they really have £16b per year to spare?

i think not

HOLA445
HOLA446
that was back in 2000, you can probably double those figures now

so £800m or more to cut 1p off fuel.

they would need to cut 20p just to get back to where we where 12 months ago

do they really have £16b per year to spare?

i think not

At the moment we are taxed twice on fuel, firstly fuel duty is added and then VAT is added to the total of cost of fuel + duty.

There have been calls for a change to the way this calculation is done, rather than charge VAT on both cost of fuel and duty, the VAT should only be added to the cost of the fuel and then duty added on top.

Currently fuel costs approx 40p a litre duty is approx 50p and VAT adds a further 25p

The proposal is 40p a litre plus VAT = 47p plus fuel duty = 97p

We are charged VAT on fuel duty!!!!

HOLA447

Possibly if the economy gets worse I can see the government cutting fuel duty to commercial transport companies, or alternatively issuing rebates.

I can see no reason why they'd reduce it for private motorists, though. I used to run a car that could just about manage 20 mpg . For the last 4 years I've run one that does 50+ mpg. I've saved thousands of pounds in fuel costs. My next car will be in the 50 - 55 mpg bracket. Fuel costs aren't high if you run an economical car.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Yes, they might 'lose' a lot of money if they reduce tax on fuel - but come on, they pay 8p a litre in Saudi Arabia for petrol. We're being fleeced completely.

Not that I mind in the short term, quicker house prices come crashing down the better as far as I'm concerned!

HOLA4411
Yes, they might 'lose' a lot of money if they reduce tax on fuel - but come on, they pay 8p a litre in Saudi Arabia for petrol. We're being fleeced completely.

hold on. i thought the people of saudi arabia were repressed. with all that 'hand chopping off' and palaces for kings.

i thought they all had to work like slaves and were allowed to live in tiny kingdom slave boxes while the king took all their wages.

hang on a minute......

HOLA4412
hold on. i thought the people of saudi arabia were repressed. with all that 'hand chopping off' and palaces for kings.

i thought they all had to work like slaves and were allowed to live in tiny kingdom slave boxes while the king took all their wages.

No contradiction there. With petrol at only 8p a litre, the king can take most of their wages without much in the way of problems. If I understand the situation correctly, in Saudi Arabia you can drive across thousands of miles of featureless desert on virtually free petrol, but if you criticise the king or decide you don't want to be a Muslim anymore, you will soon find out what Charles I felt like.

hang on a minute......

It takes around 15 the way the Saudis do it.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I did hear somewhere last week, (I think newsnight) that the Government were drawing up emergency measures similar to those following the last fuel protest.

They were talking about Grangemouth and how it could affect supplies and the general cost of fuel these days.

The measure did include temporary lowering of fuel duty to offset price increases.

HOLA4416
No contradiction there. With petrol at only 8p a litre, the king can take most of their wages without much in the way of problems. If I understand the situation correctly, in Saudi Arabia you can drive across thousands of miles of featureless desert on virtually free petrol, but if you criticise the king or decide you don't want to be a Muslim anymore, you will soon find out what Charles I felt like.

still.

8p a litre though !!

whats anyone got to critisise about the king about ?

you dont have to be a muslim. you can just SAY your a muslim.

you dont need to believe it. giving it the old "behead those that insult allah" banners etc.

HOLA4417
in Saudi Arabia you can drive across thousands of miles of featureless desert on virtually free petrol,

But only if you're a man. Saudi Arabia operates a system of apartheid as women are not allowed to drive, travel without permission of a male or do many other things.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
They could just rob the money off the poor by getting rid of the 10p tax band!!!

total income tax brings in about 100bil

personally i would rather have another £2 per liter of fuel duty & get rid of lower band income tax.

HOLA4420
total income tax brings in about 100bil

personally i would rather have another £2 per liter of fuel duty & get rid of lower band income tax.

Me too, at least that way you get some choice/control.

HOLA4421

So to recap,

1. House price inflation due to poor government policy has led to the majority of the population not being able to afford to buy somewhere to live. Noone resigned

2. The banking sector has all but failed (due to poor government regulation) and the taxpayer is keeping it afloat. Noone resigned

3. Rising prices in everything from food to fuel has made it increasingly difficult for the economy to function and it is widely acknowledged that government figures are fiddled to mask this fact, public sector workers are then told to accept pay rises based on these figures. The majority of the population are now faced with unprecedented levels of personal debt. Noone resigned

4. We are presently involved in 2 wars (which noone even mentions anymore) neither of which we had a predetermined exit strategy for, in states that arguably offered no threat to the security of this country and the intelligence we used to justify going there in the first place has now been acknowledged by the people who sent us there as being flawed. Noone resigned

5. We have nothing left in the coffers (e.g to pay for reducing fuel duty) to help during a downturn in the economy due to government mismanagement. Our gold reserves were sold at an all-time low just as the price of gold went to the moon. Noone resigned.

When and how did the British population become so complacent?

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
I don't see why they couldn't freeze ior drop fuel tax since north sea oil will compensate. (High oil price at the moment).

The problem is that north sea oil production is falling rapidly, and is has not been enough to meet requirements for several years.

The higher the oil price, the more we have spend to import it (a problem not helped by the collapsing value of the pound on international currency markets).

HOLA4424