House Price Crash Forum

Poll - Next Nationwide Quarterly Data Release Average Ni House Price % Change

azogar

HOLA441

Well peeps it's nearly time for Nationwides first 08 quarterly report, what will be the latest average nominal cost of a house in NI?

So my question is what percentage change can we expect to this average house price cost?

Please note the following:

- I will work out the correct % change when the data is available.

- The poll focuses on the change in average nominal price and not hpi (indexed data); hence this is 'real'* data (or as real as possible - there is some seasonal adjustment).

- There is generally a delay between this data and other NI HP reports based on 'index' data.

- The data is nominal and not adjusted for inflation.

I am going for -5 to -10% (remember it is three months data change were talking here)

The last three nationwide quarterly average nominal NI HPs were:

Q2 2007 - 225447

Q3 2007 - 227970

Q4 2007 - 224816

*For more info on this data go here: http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=68017

Edited by prophet-profit

HOLA442
HOLA443
If Nationwide have stopped giving people mortgages, how are they going to continue compiling this report? :unsure:

:lol: good question!

although I think it's a case of Nationwide becoming less competitive with their current mortgage deals; but this may have an impact on their number of new mortgage transactions as well of course, so the data sample size may be reduced in the future. It would be good to get data on NI Mortgage transactions (number) only - anyone?

HOLA444
HOLA445
I voted for 0-5% rise because there were no bigger rise percentages! lol!

Cheeky!

Nice one championmongo. Good to see you back here. Your post gave me a chuckle! :lol: Good banter.

Anyhoo for those that haven't/can't decide which way to vote in this poll I thought that the following attached graph might help you make your minds up.

house_price_mar08.gif

Looks like the big dipper at Barry's in Portrush .... or maybe the Pepsi Max Big One in Blackpool?

Actually on a serious note did I just spot a bull trap in the Nationwide graph between October and November 2007?

post-11694-1206703817_thumb.png

Edited by paul65

HOLA446
Cheeky!

Nice one championmongo. Good to see you back here. Your post gave me a chuckle! :lol: Good banter.

Anyhoo for those that haven't/can't decide which way to vote in this poll I thought that the following attached graph might help you make your minds up.

house_price_mar08.gif

Looks like the big dipper at Barry's in Portrush .... or maybe the Pepsi Max Big One in Blackpool?

Actually on a serious note did I just spot a bull trap in the Nationwide graph between October and November 2007?

It's funny, your picture says reduced by 64%, now is that referring to the picture size or house prices??? lol!

HOLA447
LONDON (Reuters) - House prices fell for the fifth consecutive month in March, bringing the annual rate of increase to its lowest in 12 years, a key survey showed on Friday.

So does this mean that the annual rate of increase is now an annual rate of decrease? Reads as if the house prices have been steadily rising for 12 years and its only the rate of increase which is slowing. Meaning that on a year by year basis there has been steady rises.

5 consecutive months out of 144 can hardly be classed as anything other than a blip. It will take more drops before a true adjustment can be reported.

Opinions...

HOLA448
So does this mean that the annual rate of increase is now an annual rate of decrease? Reads as if the house prices have been steadily rising for 12 years and its only the rate of increase which is slowing. Meaning that on a year by year basis there has been steady rises.

5 consecutive months out of 144 can hardly be classed as anything other than a blip. It will take more drops before a true adjustment can be reported.

Opinions...

According to Nationwide, although house prices have fallen for five consecutive months, prices are still 1.1% higher than at this point last year. However I suspect when the next figures are out it will an annual rate of decrease will shine through!

5 out of 144 does look like a blip but if that becomes say 15 in a row out of 154 maybe sentiment will be completely negative? However if we get to say 10 out of 149 and a rise in month 150 maybe positive sentiment will return once more!?!

Edited by championmongo1

HOLA449

Opinions...

The great thing about the Nationwide Quarterly releases is that you can get NI data only - The overall 'UK' picture masks what has been going on here in NI.

We (NI) are at the forefront of the 'correction' - see the last RICS survey for instance

edit - remember this poll is for the % change of the last quarter for NI only

Edited by prophet-profit

HOLA4410
The great thing about the Nationwide Quarterly releases is that you can get NI data only - The overall 'UK' picture masks what has been going on here in NI.

We (NI) are at the forefront of the 'correction' - see the last RICS survey for instance

edit - remember this poll is for the % change of the last quarter for NI only

I was talking about NI only! :P Seriously though, when the whole UK market has negative annual growth, will the VI's starting talking about growth over the past decade??? :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by championmongo1

HOLA4411

Opinions...

I think it depends what time boundaries you use - instead of going back 10 years, why not go back 20? I'm sure it would paint quite a different story. When viewing trends, it's very dangerous to make predictions based on a period which is too short to reflect the overall trend appropriately.

HOLA4412

Opinions...

If they don't rise broadly in line with inflation, then surely it must be seen as a fall?

11 plus question:

Peter gets paid 10 apples in year one, but a house costs 100 apples.

In year two he gets 12 apples and in year 3 he gets 15 apples, but houses still cost 100 apples.

Has the relative price of houses risen or fallen during the three years?

HOLA4413
If Nationwide have stopped giving people mortgages, how are they going to continue compiling this report? :unsure:

Good point. Although I though you would have kept that one to discredit a positive report if it comes. lol ;):blink:

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425