House Price Crash Forum

"fixed Price"

HOLA441
£299,995 (Fixed Price)

A larger than average five bedroom three storey detached property on the xxx development, built by Persimmon to their Newbury design. The spacious home comprises: Entrance hall, study, downstairs cloakroom, dining room, living room, kitchen/breakfast room, utility room, conservatory, m...

Why fixed price? What's the point of stating that?

If I walked up with 295K in cash, do you think they would say "Sorry - push off. Its a fixed price".

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
Guest Shedfish

because they want everyone but the most foolhardy and deluded buyer to totally ignore their house until they are forced to blink, swallow their arrogance, and reduce the price?

no one reads ads that say 'fixed price'...

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
because they want everyone but the most foolhardy and deluded buyer to totally ignore their house until they are forced to blink, swallow their arrogance, and reduce the price?

no one reads ads that say 'fixed price'...

Maybe they are looking for a Scottish buyer?

Up here the majority of property I see is advertised as 'offers over' and the general rule of thumb is to add something like 10% to this value. That is until the seller gets really desperate and it moves to 'fixed price' in the hope that the buyer is encouraged to buy as they are no longer drawn into some kind of bidding war - I doubt it means that the buy pays much less than otherwise but the more 'fixed price' properties around the general concensus is that the market is weaker (well that is how they seem to do it up here in Scotland anyway).

HOLA448
HOLA449

If I walked up with 295K in cash, do you think they would say "Sorry - push off. Its a fixed price".

It's the same as 'Mark to model'. The seller must be a banker.

HOLA4410

Could be the minimum they need to move, they may have beaten the next person in the chain down as far as they can (or the next person won't budge).

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

I'm waiting for one marked 'special price, today only'

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Another new ploy from a local small-fry "bespoke house builder". They've obviously bought some land and don't have the cash flow to build the house so they're offering to build you the house of your dreams.. I suspect that the rub is you pay as you go, not when its fininshed.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

It's like someone previosly said. Fixed Price is a Scottish thing, and means almost the opposite of what it would in the rest of the UK.

they are not saying, "Fixed Price, don't even bother haggling with us."

it's that usually the price given is basically a starting point, and you are expected to offer over from there, the winner obviously being the one who offers the most.

a fixed price basically means that they are at the end of their rope, and aren't expecting much bidding action and just want to be done with it.

and very likely you COULD go in with a few tens of K lLESS than the fixed price and walk out with a sale.

Fixed prices are bear food.

HOLA4419
It's like someone previosly said. Fixed Price is a Scottish thing, and means almost the opposite of what it would in the rest of the UK.

they are not saying, "Fixed Price, don't even bother haggling with us."

it's that usually the price given is basically a starting point, and you are expected to offer over from there, the winner obviously being the one who offers the most.

a fixed price basically means that they are at the end of their rope, and aren't expecting much bidding action and just want to be done with it.

and very likely you COULD go in with a few tens of K lLESS than the fixed price and walk out with a sale.

Fixed prices are bear food.

Strangely, this one is in Wiltshire. Maybe a Scottish owner?

HOLA4420