House Price Crash Forum

Deisel Now 5 Quid A Gallon, Petrol Up Close On 20% In A Year

Converted Lurker

HOLA441

En masse we are a nation of dummed down, under educated, worn down debt slaves :(

Fuel prices at the pumps have reached a record high, with diesel breaking the £5 a gallon mark.

Average petrol prices have now reached 104.85p a litre compared with just 87.27p a litre a year ago, according to latest figures from the AA.

And diesel has soared to a record average price of 110.31p a litre, compared with 91.09p a year ago.

In gallon terms, this means diesel has now passed the £5 mark, the association said.

It now costs £8.79 more to fill a typical 50-litre fuel tank than a year ago.

An average car owner is now spending £18.84 more per month on petrol.

AA president Edmund King said: "The £5 gallon must surely concentrate minds at the Treasury and should be a warning to the Chancellor that his proposed increase of 2p per litre should not go ahead in the Budget next month.

"The Chancellor must accept that global oil prices are soaring out of control so he should not add fuel to the fire by hiking up the tax. Rural motorists, the disabled and car-dependent communities are suffering enough."

"In one week, the UK price of petrol has shot up a penny and diesel even more. At the same time, market commentators have reported a gasoline glut in the US, enabling them to sell cut-price fuel to Nigeria.

"Drivers in the UK are asking why their car fuel prices are soaring while petrol is being offered at a discount elsewhere."

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

BUY FSENX

Fidelity Select Energy Fund! Don't try to fight the force, go with it. Energy is going to be more and more expensive. Forget gold go for the stuff people must have, e.g. :

UK COAL (LSE:UKC.L)

Last Trade: 459.25 p

Trade Time: Feb 25

Change: 11.75 (2.63%)

Prev Close: 459.25

Open: 458.00

Bid: 459.00

Ask: 459.50

1y Target Est: 645.50p

I bought UKC a couple of years ago and sold at 4.99 making 300% profit. It may be ready to go again.

HOLA443

It's funny but £1.10 a litre sounds less than £5 a gallon. £5 a gallon sounds bloody scary.

To be honest expect more of the same. You are getting it with food. You had it with gas & electric. If the inflation figure gets reported correctly (it can't stay at 2% much longer) then you mortgage should shoot up too.

The country is stoney broke & Brown has to balance the books in the same way has he has always done................... through the wage slave.

The way the uk is going I can see it being a third world country.

Glad I'm out of it - 75p litre here in Cyprus

HOLA444
It's funny but £1.10 a litre sounds less than £5 a gallon. £5 a gallon sounds bloody scary.

To be honest expect more of the same. You are getting it with food. You had it with gas & electric. If the inflation figure gets reported correctly (it can't stay at 2% much longer) then you mortgage should shoot up too.

The country is stoney broke & Brown has to balance the books in the same way has he has always done................... through the wage slave.

I put petrol in the car the other night, whilst it was pi55ing down, messages stuck on the pumps that you had to pay cash after 10. pm, bloke in the q in front couldn't get his pin 'to work' :rolleyes: I put 25 quid in and the needle didn't even get half way...just one of 'those' moments when you question so much...car dependence, oil dependence, prices, cash being king, tapped out credit...as RFD stated yesterday we're three meals from anarchy, but folk will fight with each other, not the 'systems', or increasingly heavy handed govts that led us down this path

HOLA445

72p here in NZ. And everyone is shocked it is so much :lol:

HOLA446
72p here in NZ. And everyone is shocked it is so much :lol:

where the UK was 3 years ago...strange that. :rolleyes: In relation to the average wage in NZ you're probably paying the same, if not more than in the UK, only diff being your govt. doesn't tax as much. As for Cyprus please :rolleyes: living there would not outweigh the benefits of cheaper petrol...

HOLA447

I filled up my car with diesel and a jerry can (stocking up while its "cheap") cost £95. Went to pay and had a 5p off per litre voucher so came down to £90 and I said to the tesco assistant that I still feel like I have been robbed. He took it personally and said "well they need the money to find new oil reserves and that oil was running out so needs to be rationed". What a jobsworth twit I thought. No chance of people like him objecting to being ripped off.

We need a union of the people to object to things like this on mass!

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
I filled up my car with diesel and a jerry can (stocking up while its "cheap") cost £95. Went to pay and had a 5p off per litre voucher so came down to £90 and I said to the tesco assistant that I still feel like I have been robbed. He took it personally and said "well they need the money to find new oil reserves and that oil was running out so needs to be rationed". What a jobsworth twit I thought. No chance of people like him objecting to being ripped off.

We need a union of the people to object to things like this on mass!

Although the Tesco guy might have been a bit 'jobsworth' - and I get as pi55ed off at the next guy at paying a higher price than pretty much anywhere else on earth - we do need to realise that petrol/diesel is a finite resource, exploration costs are going up as the black stuff gets harder to extract and the stuff takes some serious messing with (refining) before it gets to the forecourt. Not forgetting the transporting of the stuff over vast distances. Compare it to the cost of milk and mineral water (less said the better) and it don't seem quite so daft...

Then again maybe we are being REALLY shafted buying milk ;) And to think that the price of a pint (sorry - Carlsberg, not milk) is £2.50 minimum (N Wales) - not that really is enough to start a riot over!!!

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
"The Chancellor must accept that global oil prices are soaring out of control so he should not add fuel to the fire by hiking up the tax. Rural motorists, the disabled and car-dependent communities are suffering enough."

Yeah, tell me about it! It's not funny when the nearest supermarket is 15 miles away and the only bus service is 3 miles distant and runs once a week on a Thursday!

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
It's good petrol is more expensive. Good for the environment and good for reducing congestion. America should definitely increase their taxes on petrol.

Will you be saying that when the cost of every thing else goes up to cover the cost of increased petrol prices? Oil is hardly running out. Iraq oil is only just starting to be exploited. I do accept the environmental arguments but the problem is that the system of things need to change. You cant have infinite growth on a planet that is is not infinite.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

So the average car owner is burining up in excess of 100 litres of hydrocarbons every month just in the name of transport! It's disgusting when you think about it.

I'd be happy to see much higher prices, I can still do a 250 mile journey for around £20 which is cheap in my opinion but then I've chosen a sensible car for it's economy.

Petrol prices need to be twic as high before it will even start to change people excessive driving habits. In the cities, whilst you don't get the best mpg you are generally only driving a few miles at a time so current petrol prices mean nothing.

HOLA4421
020708.gif

Maybe people should all go to the North Sea coast and call out "Let there be more oil reserves!"

There's a genuine global supply problem. It will only get worse before it gets worser.

Are you offering that up as a reason why petrol is £5 a gallon? All that exploration, refining and transporting .... means the oil companies need to charge us about £1.50 a gallon to make their profit. We pay £5 because the government earns more than twice what the petrol companies earn from every gallon. In fact (I don't know the figures so am guessing ... but if the oil companies make even 20% profit (which seems unlikely) then they make about 30p a gallon. The government makes 10 times that for doing nothing.

'The Government' - your silent partner in your business.

I work hard to run my business. Long hours and I came up with the idea, the working capital, took the risk and worked my nuts off. 'The Government' are a wonderful silent partner. They pretty much take 40% of everything I earn and, as far as I can see, have contributed nothing.

They're like a monkey on my back. One day, one day - I'm going into a cash business.

HOLA4422
I'd be happy to see much higher prices, I can still do a 250 mile journey for around £20 which is cheap in my opinion but then I've chosen a sensible car for it's economy.

Petrol prices need to be twic as high before it will even start to change people excessive driving habits. In the cities, whilst you don't get the best mpg you are generally only driving a few miles at a time so current petrol prices mean nothing.

I agree that so far any impact on driver behaviour has been minimal, the ideal outcome for the Treasury - maximise revenues.

Most car drivers will simply not use public transport.

1) A car is a status symbol

2) Car offer flexibility that public transport does not offer (especially outside London)

3) Cars are a reflection of the individualistic society

Around 80% of the price is tax, so 20p represents $100 per barrel. Double that to $200 per barrel and the price is "only" around £1.25 per litre. When oil prices were down to $50 per barrel, petrol was still around 90p per litre.

The problem, as usual with Neo Lab, is tax.

HOLA4423
I agree that so far any impact on driver behaviour has been minimal, the ideal outcome for the Treasury - maximise revenues.

Most car drivers will simply not use public transport.

1) A car is a status symbol

2) Car offer flexibility that public transport does not offer (especially outside London)

3) Cars are a reflection of the individualistic society

Around 80% of the price is tax, so 20p represents $100 per barrel. Double that to $200 per barrel and the price is "only" around £1.25 per litre. When oil prices were down to $50 per barrel, petrol was still around 90p per litre.

The problem, as usual with Neo Lab, is tax.

That is Government spin. If the product is 20p and the tax is 80p, tax is being levied at 400%.

p-o-p

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
En masse we are a nation of dummed down, under educated, worn down debt slaves :(

Fuel prices at the pumps have reached a record high, with diesel breaking the £5 a gallon mark.

Average petrol prices have now reached 104.85p a litre compared with just 87.27p a litre a year ago, according to latest figures from the AA.

And diesel has soared to a record average price of 110.31p a litre, compared with 91.09p a year ago.

In gallon terms, this means diesel has now passed the £5 mark, the association said.

AA president Edmund King said: "The £5 gallon must surely concentrate minds at the Treasury and should be a warning to the Chancellor that his proposed increase of 2p per litre should not go ahead in the Budget next month.

"In one week, the UK price of petrol has shot up a penny and diesel even more. At the same time, market commentators have reported a gasoline glut in the US, enabling them to sell cut-price fuel to Nigeria.

"Drivers in the UK are asking why their car fuel prices are soaring while petrol is being offered at a discount elsewhere."

I know what you're saying...at what point are British people going to stand up and say no. I'm not sure where our backbone has gone....I have to be honest I haven't protested in years.

Archived