House Price Crash Forum

Anecdotal Evidence - Kent

Guest UK Debt Slave

HOLA441
I was born and dragged up in a village near Sevenoaks ...... Eynsford to be precise. Every time I go back I am staggered at how overvauled the properties have become. In the street where I was raised every single house has been extended too , mostly by fans of Beeny I reckon. What village are you in ?

I'm in Chipstead. Not such a bad place, but the valuations here and the whole Sevenoaks area are mental. My wife and I have combined earnings ca £100k, which should rise in the next few years but that would buy us a pokey 2 bed cottage for a minimum of £325k. Family houses around here can't be had for less than £500k. Looks like we're sitting tight and waiting 'til 2009 before we even consider buying.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
I'm in Chipstead. Not such a bad place, but the valuations here and the whole Sevenoaks area are mental. My wife and I have combined earnings ca £100k, which should rise in the next few years but that would buy us a pokey 2 bed cottage for a minimum of £325k. Family houses around here can't be had for less than £500k. Looks like we're sitting tight and waiting 'til 2009 before we even consider buying.

You have my sympathy. £325k for a 2 bed cottage is absurd. Those things can be built for about £60K. Hang on in there and keep the faith ... I'm expecting prices to be down 30-40% by 2009.

HOLA443
You have my sympathy. £325k for a 2 bed cottage is absurd. Those things can be built for about £60K. Hang on in there and keep the faith ... I'm expecting prices to be down 30-40% by 2009.

The VI's are at it full steam ahead now --- the heavy duty propaganda machine is going into full throttle --- watch out....

HOLA444
Here's an idea: why don't they offer to pay for the HIPs if the vendor will put the property on at a reasonable price as sole agents? Sounds like a win-win for buyer and EA to me. Though the vendor might be suspicious, so they can pay for the HIP themselves.

I'm trying to think of the logic here duke... :unsure::blink:

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
Yup --- It is simply amazing how, in many, many areas, ANY house/property/dog-kennel is "worth" the MINIMUM of £250,000....... And this applies to ABSOLUTE SHITHOLES.......

People have REALLY lost sight of what exactly A QUARTER OF A MILLION QUID IS!......... A 1/4 million for a pile of SHITE........

But - as many posters here can relate -- the days of thinking up a telephone number and then doubling it and selling in a week........ ARE OVER.

And WHAT and WHO was funding these purchases for 1/4 million quid upwards?

Why!? It was LIAR LOANS!.... And it was Northern Crock of SHIT, Paragon Mortgages - etc etc. And where are these guys now?? In the abyss of a cesspit - where they belong......

Still, it was good fun while it lasted, though, eh?

Worked for me a few times. Fortunately flogged a key few places last year so now have no oversize debts and £200K on deposit.

HOLA449
Still, it was good fun while it lasted, though, eh?

Worked for me a few times. Fortunately flogged a key few places last year so now have no oversize debts and £200K on deposit.

Without wanting to sound like a moralising p rick you're ignoring or forgetting the social costs of all this lunacy.

The indefinetely postponed families, future repossessions, bankruptcies, thwarted dreams, lost pensions, blighted lives, broken families, broken men, broken women, busted economy and global recession leading to god knows what....

Well, all this for a good bit of fun and some Audi's and Gucci for chancers, bonuses and second/third/fourth homes for bankers, and votes and bribes for inept politicos...?

I don't think you really mean it.

HOLA4410
Without wanting to sound like a moralising p rick you're ignoring or forgetting the social costs of all this lunacy.

The indefinetely postponed families, future repossessions, bankruptcies, thwarted dreams, lost pensions, blighted lives, broken families, broken men, broken women, busted economy and global recession leading to god knows what....

Well, all this for a good bit of fun and some Audi's and Gucci for chancers, bonuses and second/third/fourth homes for bankers, and votes and bribes for inept politicos...?

Spot on.

HOLA4411
Dream on - it's a semi. At £525k. In the middle of nowhere.

I'd say it's got at least £275k to go. :)

Seriously, think about it, would you even give, say £275k for it? I wouldn't.

Nomadd

I agree --- sorry - I misread the "price" as £325k -- when it is actually the laughable and insane £525k. Geez - what is this country coming to....

HOLA4412

Say's it all......

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

The thing is, I am sadly not George Soros or Jerome Kerviel or someone else with the power to change the global market by my individual actions.

I am only on this earth for as long as the next man.

In the early 1990s I saw that buying and renting places out was a "no-brainer" - I could buy a "wreck", fix it up and rent it, and make several hundred quid a month in rent over the mortgage, boosting my then measly salary of £16000 a year.

Proceeded, both on my own and with a ccouple of mates, to repeat this several times over the next ten to fifteen years.

Not bought any Audis of Gucci or anything else.

Like most people I want to live as comfortable a life as I reasonably can, and this made sense.

I am not going to sit there watching half the country cashing in, living in my rented flat for 15 years just so I can feel morally pure. If I had wanted to live a morally pure life I would have gone to live in a monastery.

HOLA4415

Will EA's who have their own Mortgage advisors try to get sellers to drop prices to make sales when they realise that buyers cannot get mortgages to the value needed to buy properties so they are missing out on sales commisions on both the house and the mortgage ?

HOLA4416
And it was Northern Crock of SHIT, Paragon Mortgages - etc etc. And where are these guys now?? In the abyss of a cesspit - where they belong......

If only! They're in the taxpayers pocket, helping themselves.

Having to pay THEIR way out of this is going to piss me off more than not being able to afford a family home for my family for the last few years. Presumably the extra tax burden to support their folly (which seems now to be utterly inevitable) will offset any affordability increase from lower prices. Consequently no garden for my son to play in, ever!

All taxpayes savings soon to be gone in an explosion of inflation and taxation to bail out those reprehensible b*stards! We'll be the ones in the cesspit, not them.

HOLA4417

Check out the latest LR data on the Beeb shows Sevenoaks down by 15%... should cheer you up. Mind you still a along way to go !

Sorry should add that was for detatched houses - just the last quarter though ...... so annualised that would be 60% - hang on in there!

Edited by Bearfacts

HOLA4418