House Price Crash Forum

-10% Seems To Be The Average Predicted Drop

DoctorJ

HOLA441

Was listening to radio 5 Live this morning at about 7.30am and heard some guy saying that US was likely to go into recession, UK would keep rates relatively high and narrowly avoid a recession....and then he predicted that house prices would drop but only by 10% <_<

The media and financial pundits all seem to be calling a relatively modest bear market for UK property. Some seem to be prediciting a 5% drop at the start of 2008 followed by continued growth in the second half of the year, others going up to 10% drops for 2008 followed by a rebound in 2009.

This guy on 5Live this morning seemed to know what he was talking about so why shouldn't we trust his judgement? Are we expecting too much from this HPC?

Personally, I am expecting 25-30% drops over 2008-2010.

Edited by DoctorJ

HOLA442
Guest Bart of Darkness
and then he predicted that house prices would drop but only by 10%

Considering that we've only recently seen a switch from predictions of prices only ever going up, then to prices staying flat, and now to 10% falls, I think we can safely double or triple that figure out here in what the economics boffins call (with their charming love of jargon) "reality".

HOLA443
Considering that we've only recently seen a switch from predictions of prices only ever going up, then to prices staying flat, and now to 10% falls, I think we can safely double or triple that figure out here in what the economics boffins call (with their charming love of jargon) "reality".

My thoughts, too! ;)

When even the biggest rampers are saying "prices will remain flat", expect decent falls.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Take your pick of this lot.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/wiki/1991...icted_this_year

HOLA447

Agreed. "There's more chance of finding Elvis etc..."

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
Parents just sold a flat. 225 asking price, sold for 218.

There ya go then chaps. 3% right there already :lol:

I'm sure GOM will come along and post his stages of denial for us. Personally, I think we are going to see 15% over 18 months then a protracted bear market for 7 or 8 years. Simply because that's how long it will take for banks to repair there balance sheets.

HOLA4411

10%? Wishful thinking from the VIs.

Whenever anyone predicts the drop to be so little I ask them if they'd have predicted 10 years ago that we'd have had such a monumental boom. That's when they go quiet.

Of course, 10% coming down is more that 10% going up but I'd be surprised to see less that 30% drops.

Edited by red

HOLA4412

my neighbours have just moved into place next door to me, they brought in sept, and now are selling and put up for 5 k more than they brought. I expect, looking at the other marketed properties, that they haven't a hope of getting the price they are expecting... :blink:

but time will certainly tell...

kitchen is far too small, only now having experienced this do I actually think this now, where as before, I was of the opinion "it will do".

HOLA4413

Last time round AVERAGE property prices around the UK droppedby around 10% when adjusted for (relatively high) levels of inflation.

In reality some areas lost very little (some even gained) whereas proerties in East London dropped by as much as 50%.

Put it this way, if you have just bought a new-build property in an 'up-and-comming' area then you may be in trouble!

HOLA4414

Ha ha.

2006: House prices only ever go up. There's never been a better time to buy!

2007: Actually what we said in 2006 was b0110x. But we are expecting a soft landing. Prices won't drop. No siree. There's never been a better time to buy!

2008: Actually what we said in 2007 was b0110x as well. But declines will only by about 10% at the most which is bugger all after the rises of the last 10 years*. Actually, OK it's not bugger all if you are the poor knut that believed what we said last year but hey ho. And with interest rates falling there's never been a better time to buy!

2009: Actually what we said in 2008 was also a pile of unmitigated b0ll0x. But decline this year will only be about 20% which is nothing if you think about it, especially if you bought in 1999. OK So everyone who bought after 2005 is up sh1t cr33k but what can you do. And the new cheaper prices mean houses are affordable again. There's never been a better time to buy!

2010: Well, OK everything we have said since 2006 has been b0ll0x and 10% of the population is contemplating taking their own lives because now they live in cardboard boxes next to the M1, broke, destitute and without hope. But with unemployment so high those carboard boxes could be made of gold! There's never been a better time to buy!

HOLA4415

I'm sure GOM will come along and post his stages of denial for us. Personally, I think we are going to see 15% over 18 months then a protracted bear market for 7 or 8 years. Simply because that's how long it will take for banks to repair there balance sheets.

I think next up is 'capitulation' :rolleyes:

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

You know what, they bought 3 properties together in 95 for 220k. This is the last of them, all 3 gone for 800k. Not bad 580k profit in 12 years.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420