House Price Crash Forum

Landlord In Difficulties

munimula

HOLA441
All of the reasons you quote for moving to Chiswick are certainly valid if you were buying. Hence why buying prices are higher there than the surrounding areas. But I still wouldn't advocate renting there.

I know Chiswick very well - I live there.

This doesn't make any sense. Why should the reasons for wanting to live somewhere be any different if you are renting?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Average salary in City of London and Tower Hamlets (the borough containing Canary Wharf) is about £65,000. I'd use that as your starting point, and remember that it includes the cleaners as well as the bankers.

I don't believe that, 3 years ago I remember reading in the Canary Wharf free paper that the average wage for Canary Wharf employees was £40K. This you would expect to be higher than the average for City of London and Tower Hamlets and I wouldn't think it has gone up so much in the last 3 years.

HOLA443
Canary Wharf overtakes City in pay stakes; the latest figures on annual earnings published by the Office for National Statistics show that the pay of workers in Docklands has overtaken those in the City for the first time. Annual salaries for full-time workers in Tower Hamlets went up by 19.5 per cent in the year to April 2004 taking them to an average of £66,300 compared to the City where a drop of 0.1 per cent meant that the average wage was £64,178. The national average is £26,989. The figure for Tower Hamlets is all the more remarkable as it also covers areas such as Shadwell and Stepney, which are the most deprived areas in London. Canary Wharf is home to the global HQ of HSBC and the European subsidiaries of Citigroup and Morgan Stanley. Further information available on the Office for National Statistics website. Times 29.10.04

Strewth, the average has increased by about 75% in the last 3/4 years. Probably the big banks moving in. It really is time for a pay rise - I work in both Canary Wharf and the City!

HOLA444
HOLA445

Update

Landlord called back tonight to say that offer of £1000 was too low and that they had another offer but would take £1125 (the lowest they could accept to cover mortgage). I declined saying that the property was only worth £1000 to me as could get better location etc. The landlord said that this wouldn't be enough to cover the mortgage and they will be struggling and that if interest rates rise any further they will have to sell! Not very professional stuff to divulge and displaying their true amateur BTL status. Then they said what about £1100 so I realised the 'other offer' can't have been much more than my offer and that they really are quite desperate

Just some evidence from the BTL coal face, rent rises dogbox - I don't think so!

HOLA446
Guest The dude
A two bed flat that close to London for a grand a month is not at all bad?

If you work in London your not going to want to travel 2 hours a day and thats a half hour ride on the tube to CL.

I cant see the problem with that looks a good deal for the area (IMO).

It's funny to hear about the mentality of London folk. Why the hell anyone would live and work in London I don't know...Why don't you get out of that shithole - don't get me wrong...London is a fantastic place to visit but to live there, well it's bordering on sado-masochism...Don't care how much anyone says "well it's the only place I can earn the money I think I deserve" Bullox....London folk are seriously F***ed up....

HOLA447
HOLA448

London doesn't HAVE to be expensive if you don't want it to be. See the Frugalista's field manual thread! Most Londoners seem to hate their jobs but at the same time want to live as close to work as possible!

HOLA449
Guest The dude
London doesn't HAVE to be expensive if you don't want it to be. See the Frugalista's field manual thread! Most Londoners seem to hate their jobs but at the same time want to live as close to work as possible!

"Most Londoners seem to hate their jobs"

they are TIED to their little jobs...mentally and financially. Sorry to be so vulgar and repeat my previous phrase but people who work in London because ' it's the only place where my graduate degree commands the earnings it so obviously deserves' well, they are totally braindead and f***ed up.

"Nobody is healthy in London, nobody can be." Jane Austen

HOLA4410
This doesn't make any sense. Why should the reasons for wanting to live somewhere be any different if you are renting?

The reason I wouldn't (and didn't) rent in Chiswick is that it's far more expensive than the surrounding areas. I rented in perfectly acceptable areas of Ealing and Hanwell whilst saving for the deposit. Every £100 saved in rent is another £100 off the eventual mortgage.

Have you looked at how much you save over the lifetime of a mortgage if the original loan is £10,000 lower.

To put Chiswick into perspective. I went shopping on the high road on Saturday and saw Vanessa Redgrave (in a hairdresser) and Imogen Stubbs, Trevor Nunn and their son. It's a very nice place to live, but not if you're subsidising somebody else's mortgage.

HOLA4411
It's funny to hear about the mentality of London folk.  Why the hell anyone would live and work in London I don't know...Why don't you get out of that shithole - don't get me wrong...London is a fantastic place to visit but to live there, well it's bordering on sado-masochism...Don't care how much anyone says "well it's the only place I can earn the money I think I deserve" Bullox....London folk are seriously F***ed up....

I love London and I like my job.

I don't know where you live, but if I did I wouldn't rubbish it or you. Please show us the same courtesy.

HOLA4412
I love London and I like my job.

I don't know where you live, but if I did I wouldn't rubbish it or you.  Please show us the same courtesy.

Don't worry about the turnip licking country bumpkin with no idea of real life in the fast lane. When he visits he probably finds it hard to fit his tractor down our tree-lined boulevards.

HOLA4413

All those places like Chiswick, Richmond and Kingston are overpriced tosh (IMHO :D) and most of them (especially Kingston) are full of binge drinking chavs on a weekend and annoying pretentious twats in Toyota Land Crushers.

I'm paying £1100 a month for a 3 bed house in Balham, right next to Tooting Bec common. 20 minutes on the tube to West End and City and its the northern line not the shitty district line. 20 minute walk to Clapham Common. Loads of half decent bars and a very nice demographic mix of people. 5 minutes overland train to Clapham Junction from which you can get to almost anywhere.

HOLA4414
All those places like Chiswick, Richmond and Kingston are overpriced tosh (IMHO :D)  and most of them (especially Kingston) are full of binge drinking chavs on a weekend and annoying pretentious twats in Toyota Land Crushers.

I'm paying £1100 a month for a 3 bed house in Balham, right next to Tooting Bec common. 20 minutes on the tube to West End and City and its the northern line not the shitty district line. 20 minute walk to Clapham Common. Loads of half decent bars and a very nice demographic mix of people. 5 minutes overland train to Clapham Junction from which you can get to almost anywhere.

The Northern line is possibly the worst line in London. How is it shitty compared to the District line? District line carriages are almost twice as large, people are never rammed on like on the Northern line and the air quality is far better - Northern line is a very deep tube with air quality that doesn't even meet saftety standards.

Rent price is good though

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
The Northern line is possibly the worst line in London. How is it shitty compared to the District line? District line carriages are almost twice as large, people are never rammed on like on the Northern line and the air quality is far better - Northern line is a very deep tube with air quality that doesn't even meet saftety standards.

Rent price is good though

Oh yea I agree its the worst in terms of being rammed in like cattle ;) it is by far the best line for getting places and frequency though. When I think of the tube I consider utility not comfort!

Northern Line is also (marginally) faster than District, e.g. Wimbledon to Embankment 32 mins on District, South Wimbledon to Embankment 26 minutes

HOLA4417

Charming but true. Most Londoners think the UK begins and ends in a city with as many squalid dumps as beatiful parks.

There are 2 Londons - one full of people who work in PR, Advertising, Law, the Meejah etc - and the other full of people earning bugger all trying to scrape by in one of the world's most expensive cities.

Live in London? Only if I was stinking rich and could afford a house in a nice place and a place in the country. But live in Hayes, or Harrow, or Stepney, or Bethnall Green, or Harlesden. No thanks.

HOLA4418
Charming but true. Most Londoners think the UK begins and ends in a city with as many squalid dumps as beatiful parks.

There are 2 Londons - one full of people who work in PR, Advertising, Law, the Meejah etc - and the other full of people earning bugger all trying to scrape by in one of the world's most expensive cities.

Live in London? Only if I was stinking rich and could afford a house in a nice place and a place in the country. But live in Hayes, or Harrow, or Stepney, or Bethnall Green, or Harlesden. No thanks.

That's rubbish - there are a number of very nice places to live in and around the London area. Typical non-Londoner prejudice.

HOLA4419
That's rubbish - there are a number of very nice places to live in and around the London area. Typical non-Londoner prejudice.

The squalor and the 2 Londons DOES apply to the inner bits especially places like Islington where family people especially are either stinking rich or immigrants living in council flats............but when you get 15 to 20 miles away from central London income distribution and the lack of squalor is like the rest of the UK.......

HOLA4420

I was born in Hayes (typical FTB property 1 bed maisonnette), brought up in Harrow (typical next step 3 bed semi) and resolved that I would never live in such a godforsaken hole again.

It was the main driver in being able to afford to live in a better part of London.

I decided that I would not compromise. Either earn enough to live comfortably in a decent bit of London or move out altogether.

HOLA4421
I was born in Hayes (typical FTB property 1 bed maisonnette), brought up in Harrow (typical next step 3 bed semi) and resolved that I would never live in such a godforsaken hole again.

It was the main driver in being able to afford to live in a better part of London.

I decided that I would not compromise. Either earn enough to live comfortably in a decent bit of London or move out altogether.

Blimey, didn't know fronting the anarcho-punk band Crass paid that well....

HOLA4422
Blimey, didn't know fronting the anarcho-punk band Crass paid that well....

1) We sold the commune to property developers.

2) I made sure from the early days that I only employed the best lawyers

3) Everytime someone used our logo they had to pay royalties

4) Honey Bane was sent out onto the game - she owed us.

5) None of the above - I'm a fat balding meedja tart

HOLA4423
  • 2 years later...
HOLA4424
Viewed a 2-bed flat for rent in Chiswick last saturday and then discovered the landlord trying to rent independently via the Loot. Knew from the agent that they are desperate to let asap. Put in an offer today of £1000pcm (asking is about £1200pcm) and the reply was;

Can't believe what tight margins these people are operating on. If they let it through the agent they wouldn't be getting much more than the £1000 I offered after agent fees etc. They sound quite desperate though, having to find over £1000 a month extra to pay the mortgage on their BTL!

I'll keep you updated.....

All with the eyes on making a fast buck, do these people honestly think they are going to make half a million in ten years? Because thats what it would have to be to be worth it.

No they are not...

• 6 months later...
HOLA4425
Not to be nosey.

But how much do you guys typically earn a year inc bonus, london waiting etc to be able to afford £1000 pm rent?

I would find it hard to pay £400 or £500 rent.

I wanted to ask that!

I take home roughly £1000/month ... and the amount many pay for rent makes me wonder where they get the money from. Certainly nobody I know could afford that.

The Internet has really opened my eyes to a whole new sort of people/lives I never knew existed.

Edited by ScaredEitherWay