HouseDog

HOLA441
  • Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

Hey, sorry, you do sound like an E.A. and very similar to several other posts we've had lately.

If you can back up your outlandish claims with some hard evidence then please post it.

A friend of mine in duston was conned into renting his flat out so he could buy a familly home for his wife andnew born baby, the flat would't sell so the agent came up with the great plan of remporgaging the flat he had to buy a real dud of a property ...3 years down the line his tenant has moved out, the flat that wouldn't sell 3 years ago is now even more unsellable...and he's loosing his job.

If you are an E.a., the do one screwing people over for a bit of commission and ultimately destroying peoples lives. The time for pretending you are anything else is over.

If you're not an E.A. the please join in....post some actual facts, we will all look forward to seeing them.

In the meantime, the land registry shows prices static, dropping slightly in nominal terms, dropping big time in real terms...sales volumes still at an all time low...any sales likely to be funded by idiots investors underpinned by tax payers backed housing benefits, or the Funding for Banker Bonus scheme backed by the tax payer and the savers of the country. FACT.

EDITED BY A MODERATOR

Fair enough. I'm not an EA, I'm a person trying to buy a house with little understanding of the market, and being confused by current pricing tbh.

I agree that all i've read here, and the figures/charts tell me that prices are dropping - but I still look at house prices and think 'wtf?!' eg. smallish 4-bed detached prices at 220k+ just seems really expensive to me, but that's generally what they're on for. I've seen the odd one on zoopla sell last year for more relistic prices, eg. http://www.zoopla.co.uk/property/112-weggs-farm-road/new-duston/northampton/nn5-6hz/16436352 and http://www.zoopla.co.uk/property/31-alsace-close/northampton/nn5-6hx/16436304 which gives me hope, but then the few houses comparable to those currently on the market are priced 30k more or so - just seems daft, and is frustrating to see a nice house but feel the price needs to be about 40k less to be worth it. I basically don't want to get ripped off, but am also conscious that I'm new to the housing market and may be overly optimistic about what i can get (i'm hoping you lot will tell me that i'm not being overly optimistic, and low offers + patience will get me a good deal!)

I'm probably just focusing down too much on certain types of properties, and should look more at the bigger picture. I've not been seriously looking for long, and need to wait for a good property, fair price, and motivated seller. Apologies if I've gotten peoples backs up :(

HOLA444

Hey, sorry, you do sound like an E.A. and very similar to several other posts we've had lately.

If you can back up your outlandish claims with some hard evidence then please post it.

A friend of mine in duston was conned into renting his flat out so he could buy a familly home for his wife andnew born baby, the flat would't sell so the agent came up with the great plan of remporgaging the flat he had to buy a real dud of a property ...3 years down the line his tenant has moved out, the flat that wouldn't sell 3 years ago is now even more unsellable...and he's loosing his job.

If you are an E.a., the do one screwing people over for a bit of commission and ultimately destroying peoples lives. The time for pretending you are anything else is over.

If you're not an E.A. the please join in....post some actual facts, we will all look forward to seeing them.

In the meantime, the land registry shows prices static, dropping slightly in nominal terms, dropping big time in real terms...sales volumes still at an all time low...any sales likely to be funded by idiots investors underpinned by tax payers backed housing benefits, or the Funding for Banker Bonus scheme backed by the tax payer and the savers of the country. FACT.

EDITED BY A MODERATOR

You must be referring to me

I read the original version of your comments last night and notice it has now been edited by a moderator - I wonder why that was!!!!

What are the words which have now been deleted - hmmmmm

You accused me of being an Estate agent just like you are accusing this other guy - if you think I'm an estate agent - prove it

You won't be able to as im not.

I know i have a differant opinion to many on this forum but I'm fine with that as for a healthy debate you need different points of view

I'm more then happy to listen to other people's opinion as last time I checked we lived in a democracy and people are entitled to there own opinion

HOLA445

Lol, nope not an EA, perhaps i'm just being abit pessimistic.

I grew up in the Duston area so am keen to live there again. Mostly looking at detached, but also considering some semi's. Possibly that's where my problem is, as a lot of the better prices seem to be for semis. I've been mostly focusing on the detached sold prices, and although there's the occasional sale that looks like a fair price to me, there's a lot where i can't believe people would pay the amount they have, and comparing to historic prices it feels like a lot of sellers are listing very high and hoping someone gullible enough comes along and offers 3% under asking, when they should be more like 20% under.

I guess my selection is also abit limited as i wouldn't consider any of the new build stuff in Upton/Crispins/Ryelands, as they're overpriced and horrible. The developers are too greedy. The roads are so thin, little to no parking, barely any green spaces in the street as the gardens are non-existent. They're crammed in like sardines.

This seems to be how all houses are built nowadays (except for the lucky very wealthy)

3 plus floors + Zero front garden = Claustrophobic street atmosphere.

HOLA446

You must be referring to me

I read the original version of your comments last night and notice it has now been edited by a moderator - I wonder why that was!!!!

What are the words which have now been deleted - hmmmmm

You accused me of being an Estate agent just like you are accusing this other guy - if you think I'm an estate agent - prove it

You won't be able to as im not.

I know i have a differant opinion to many on this forum but I'm fine with that as for a healthy debate you need different points of view

I'm more then happy to listen to other people's opinion as last time I checked we lived in a democracy and people are entitled to there own opinion

ive no idea if you are an agent..you certainly sound like one thogh. i apologise if you are not.

if youd like to provide proof of your claims then we are all willing to listen..any facts you can give help get a real view of what is happening in the local market.

if you cant back up your statement with real evidence then please post in the anecdoral forum because thats what your claims are.

as for free speech, we have anything but in the UK. not sure why the moderator changed my post, all i did was express what i be many others feel cant estate agents.

as i said, welcome to the forum if yet have some useful input then great. if you are a 2nd hand house salesman on the wind up your wasting your time, facts beat made up rubbish at every turn.

HOLA447

My house of the week:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/new-homes-for-sale/property-26287863.html

What's the story with this then? A tiny 3 bed terrace (from the floorplans I can't tell where two of the bedrooms are!) on an industrial estate right next to the M1. Nothing wrong with that, but how do they come up with a price of £205k? For the same money you can buy a nice four bed detached in Hunsbury (like this one http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-25847133.html), with a big garden and garage, instead of living in the middle of nowhere with lorries screaming past 24 hours a day.

Who buys a house like this? Is it just people who insist on buying brand new homes?

Edited by pablopatito

HOLA448

My house of the week:

What's the story with this then? A tiny 3 bed terrace (from the floorplans I can't tell where two of the bedrooms are!) on an industrial estate right next to the M1. Nothing wrong with that, but how do they come up with a price of £205k? For the same money you can buy a nice four bed detached in Hunsbury (like this one http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-25847133.html), with a big garden and garage, instead of living in the middle of nowhere with lorries screaming past 24 hours a day.

Who buys a house like this? Is it just people who insist on buying brand new homes?

my accountant came up with a theory...its an old business idea that when times are hard you try and double your prices, or to some lesser degree...you might get half the business but you can survive this way. its a desperate last bid stratedgy.

p.s. id like to apologise to the other northampton forum posters for being a bit harsh with the poster above. we had a couple of his style is posts lately and it all sounds like a e.a. posting hut im happy to proved wrong when they come back with their evidence.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA449

if you cant back up your statement with real evidence then please post in the anecdoral forum because thats what your claims are.

I did post a reply yesterday with some examples but it seems to have gotten lost in the ether or something, plus every post i make seems to need approval from a mod. I hope this one makes it through. But that was before you made the above post anyway, and to be fair they were just anecdotal evidence so probably not worth bothering repeating.

I wasn't trying to make a statement, eg. This is what is happening! I'm more looking for advice. To me, asking prices seem generally very high, despite the fact that the evidence says sold prices are dropping. However, over the past six months of property sales there's a few which have sold in the area for much less than being currently asked for comparable houses, and are more in line with the type of price for the type of property i want.

Basically, what i'm trying to ascertain is, am I wrong in thinking that alot of the properties currently available in duston are way over priced? Is it worth making offers at 20% under asking or more when i think they've been overpriced, or am i kidding myself? When I've mentioned to mates that i'd offer so much under asking price they basically suggest i'm an idiot and should readjust my expectations - but they know sod all about the market either. So i'm hoping you peeps that have been watching the market for longer and have a better understanding of it will give me a more informed opinion on it lol!

HOLA4410

p.s. id like to apologise to the other northampton forum posters for being a bit harsh with the poster above. we had a couple of his style is posts lately and it all sounds like a e.a. posting hut im happy to proved wrong when they come back with their evidence.

Your not alone - I also thought the tone and language used in the posts sounded as if the writer(s) were from an VI background. :blink:

(I don't mean to offend anyone - I'm just reporting what I thought)

House buying and selling is a very emotive topic. In the past I've found myself almost at boiling point with Estate Agents who have clearly been misdirecting information and at times without question lying to me and others. I suppose such actions were just caused by greed.

Moving on - I am always happy to see informative posts about local houses prices - going up or going down. The more information we have the better our decisions will be. Therefore, I think in the future I will also ask any poster I have doubts about to just add data to their post to back their claim - although I realise its not always possible. I suppose also in the future, as the market changes, we may find headless posters just regurgitating misdirected information an Estate Agent has told them .. but we shall see.

I wonder what's worst than being called an 'Estate Agent', maybe a 'Mortgage Advisor' or 'Banker?' :blink:

Edited by HouseDog

HOLA4411

My house of the week:

I can't understand this price either :unsure:

HOLA4412

Your not alone - I also thought the tone and language used in the posts sounded as if the writer(s) were from an VI background. :blink:

(I don't mean to offend anyone - I'm just reporting what I thought)

House buying and selling is a very emotive topic. In the past I've found myself almost at boiling point with Estate Agents who have clearly been misdirecting information and at times without question lying to me and others. I suppose such actions were just caused by greed.

Moving on - I am always happy to see informative posts about local houses prices - going up or going down. The more information we have the better our decisions will be. Therefore, I think in the future I will also ask any poster I have doubts about to just add data to their post to back their claim - although I realise its not always possible. I suppose also in the future, as the market changes, we may find headless posters just regurgitating misdirected information an Estate Agent has told them .. but we shall see.

I wonder what's worst than being called an 'Estate Agent', maybe a 'Mortgage Advisor' or 'Banker?' :blink:

+1

the last thing we want is a narrow minded closed shop. all views are welcome. if an e.a. wants to declare themselves as such and enter into a frank debate which they can back up with documentary evidence then that would be brilliant.

i think the reason we dont see any e.a.s doing that on here is because they know the truth.

the only thing worse than being called an estate agent is being called a 2nd house salesman :lol:

HOLA4413

+1

the last thing we want is a narrow minded closed shop. all views are welcome. if an e.a. wants to declare themselves as such and enter into a frank debate which they can back up with documentary evidence then that would be brilliant.

i think the reason we dont see any e.a.s doing that on here is because they know the truth.

the only thing worse than being called an estate agent is being called a 2nd house salesman :lol:

I thought maybe 'Monetary Policy Committee member' ... and 'Town Planner' could be added to my list of potential insults.

HOLA4414

Very true - it will be interesting to see what happens.

So the new plans for this development will be unveiled this weekend

So far we know the following:

1, Bovis want to build initially 1000 homes but have the land option to build another 400

2, Phase one will gain access only from Windingbrook lane and will be on land currently used as holes 1 - 3

3, Phase two will involve putting an access off Rowtree road and a small bridge over Wootton Brook and will be on land used as holes 4 - 6

4, Density will be 32 houses per hectare - which I do t think is too bad

5, There will be a new primary school - wonder when that will open

6, They intend to use flood management as used up at Upton Grange - which to be fair I don't has flooded yet

7, Apparently there will be public transport - that'll help the traffic situation!!!

Over the next few weeks there will be various public exhibitions which I suppose is just as well as I don't think we know a lot more then before

The main thing for people round here I think is traffic on Rowtree road which is influenced by traffic flow on the A45 so I would like to know how they propose to sort that one out as I don't remember seeing anyone doing a traffic survey

Final details should be on the Northampton SUE website

HOLA4415

ive no idea if you are an agent..you certainly sound like one thogh. i apologise if you are not.

if youd like to provide proof of your claims then we are all willing to listen..any facts you can give help get a real view of what is happening in the local market.

as for free speech, we have anything but in the UK. not sure why the moderator changed my post, all i did was express what i be many others feel cant estate agents.

as i said, welcome to the forum if yet have some useful input then great. if you are a 2nd hand house salesman on the wind up your wasting your time, facts beat made up rubbish at every turn.

Lets move on.....

HOLA4416

So the new plans for this development will be unveiled this weekend

So far we know the following:

1, Bovis want to build initially 1000 homes but have the land option to build another 400

2, Phase one will gain access only from Windingbrook lane and will be on land currently used as holes 1 - 3

3, Phase two will involve putting an access off Rowtree road and a small bridge over Wootton Brook and will be on land used as holes 4 - 6

4, Density will be 32 houses per hectare - which I do t think is too bad

5, There will be a new primary school - wonder when that will open

6, They intend to use flood management as used up at Upton Grange - which to be fair I don't has flooded yet

7, Apparently there will be public transport - that'll help the traffic situation!!!

Over the next few weeks there will be various public exhibitions which I suppose is just as well as I don't think we know a lot more then before

The main thing for people round here I think is traffic on Rowtree road which is influenced by traffic flow on the A45 so I would like to know how they propose to sort that one out as I don't remember seeing anyone doing a traffic survey

Final details should be on the Northampton SUE website

Thanks for that. I might take a look at the plans on Friday. I think 32 per hectare is higher density than Hunsbury...

Are they actually planning to build on hole 1? The plans from a few years ago showed them building on the driving range but keeping the first hole where it is.

This submission by the residents alliance and Collingtree Parish Council looks very sensible:

http://ldfconsultation.westnorthamptonshirejpu.org/gf2.ti/aw/307714/37755/PDF/-/4618689_WEHCPCHCRASUE5RevisedProposal20121217.pdf

Edited by thecrashingisles

HOLA4417

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-40902560.html

this place has been up for sale for what feels like around 2 years at 375K I beleive.its come off then back on and been relisted 50k less!

its still way over priced if you ask me and with the development work up there possibly happening and a potential lorry park almost next door id say it would be a hard sale!

still nice to see someone break rank and make a massive reduction.

a house sold next door for around 500k about a year ago, even closer to the potential lorry park to call the buyers unlucky would be the nicest thing could say. that's around 500k to live in a house whose back garden can only be a few hundred yards from the Motorway.

i hope this heralds a new era in the local housing market.

HOLA4418

Thanks for that. I might take a look at the plans on Friday. I think 32 per hectare is higher density than Hunsbury...

Are they actually planning to build on hole 1? The plans from a few years ago showed them building on the driving range but keeping the first hole where it is.

This submission by the residents alliance and Collingtree Parish Council looks very sensible:

http://ldfconsultation.westnorthamptonshirejpu.org/gf2.ti/aw/307714/37755/PDF/-/4618689_WEHCPCHCRASUE5RevisedProposal20121217.pdf

I think the access will be near the driving range and they will build a new hole 1 - 3 before they build on the existing holes

But I suppose we will all know more when the plans are made public

The proposal by the local residents alliance has one fairly large problem - the West Coast Mainline

Building a bridge or tunnelling underneath will be staggeringly expensive, neither option will have change out of about £10mill, you will need more consents and approvals then you ever could ever imagine and working with Network Rail - well they move at the speed of a glacier, so alas no developer in there right mind would want to do that.

HOLA4419

The proposal by the local residents alliance has one fairly large problem - the West Coast Mainline

Building a bridge or tunnelling underneath will be staggeringly expensive, neither option will have change out of about £10mill, you will need more consents and approvals then you ever could ever imagine and working with Network Rail - well they move at the speed of a glacier, so alas no developer in there right mind would want to do that.

Good point. There is an existing tunnel but it would no doubt be a complex operation to make it suitable for a higher volume of traffic.

2uh1vtk.jpg

HOLA4420

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/local/st-edmund-s-hospital-may-be-de-listed-1-4894287

A derelict 19th century hospital in Northampton town centre could be demolished after an application was made to remove its listed status.

St Edmund’s Hospital was built in 1836 as a workhouse for the poor and was converted into a hospital in the 1930s, before closing in 1999.

The hospital site was purchased by Wellingborough Road-based Rochmills Ltd, and a Tesco Express store and restaurant have been built on land surrounding it.

Development of the site appeared to have stalled last year when it was revealed that Rochmills had sold the building to a firm based in Cyprus.

Listed building planning consent for St Edmund’s Hospital has also expired.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425