Northampton

HouseDog

HOLA441
  • Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/in_depth/uk_house_prices/html/34uf.stm#table

Northampton house prices reported as down by - 6.0 % in the last quarter. :blink:

-----

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/local/signs-of-recovery-in-east-midlands-property-market-1-4776867

Signs of recovery in East Midlands property market :lol:

The number of housing transactions increased in the Northamptonshire property market during January, a new survey has found!

Edited by HouseDog

HOLA443

That's all very anecdotal. Heard it all before. Post some facts from the land registry database.

So this is all based off the Land Registry website

I have simply picked a few streets in Hunsbury and Wootton at random

30 Sandhurst Close - Dec 09 £159500

Oct 12 £159000

4 Downsway - Apr 08 £189995

Oct 11 £210000

5 Downsway - Oct 06 £180000

June 08 £192000

61 Downsway - Jan 06 £147500

May 12 £157000

7 Walkers Way - Aug 08 £230000

Nov 11 £248750

33 Walkers Way - May 05 £138000

May 08 £157000

39 Walkers Way - Jan 09 £190000

June 10 £232500

42 Middle Greeve - Nov 05 £311000

July 11 £335000

There will be examples in other streets as well

I had a look at Zoopla as well earlier and that would indicate in the last 5 years prices in NN4 are down by about 10%, which is less then the rest of Northants but about what I thought seemed about right

Like I said before NN4 is a solid family area with good schools, good transport links and is generally a decent place to live

Without doubt low interest rates are helping but it will be years before they rise let alone get anywhere near back to 5%

Also, now the developers have moved out (for now at least) prices always have to find there natural level which is dictated by the usual market forces

So all in all if you own a property in NN4 I'd be quite happy

HOLA444

Oct 12 £159000

Oct 11 £210000

June 08 £192000

May 12 £157000

Nov 11 £248750

May 08 £157000

June 10 £232500

July 11 £335000

I had a look at Zoopla as well earlier and that would indicate in the last 5 years prices in NN4 are down by about 10%, which is less then the rest of Northants but about what I thought seemed about right

Like I said before NN4 is a solid family area with good schools, good transport links and is generally a decent place to live

Without doubt low interest rates are helping but it will be years before they rise let alone get anywhere near back to 5%

Also, now the developers have moved out (for now at least) prices always have to find there natural level which is dictated by the usual market forces

Thanks for posing these - NN4 is not an area I follow.

However, it's good to see prices in such a well respected area are already down by 10%.

What will stop a further 10% price reduction over the next few years? Prices are clearly falling across all areas of Northampton.

Oddly, the first property in your list has been sold 7 times since being built in 1999

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detail.html?country=england&locationIdentifier=STREET%5E2338798&searchLocation=Sandhurst+Close

HOLA445

Oct 12 £159000

Oct 11 £210000

June 08 £192000

May 12 £157000

Nov 11 £248750

May 08 £157000

June 10 £232500

July 11 £335000

i thought we were talking about your street?

i can show you a similar list of drops.

HOLA446

Thanks for posing these - NN4 is not an area I follow.

However, it's good to see prices in such a well respected area are already down by 10%.

What will stop a further 10% price reduction over the next few years? Prices are clearly falling across all areas of Northampton.

Oddly, the first property in your list has been sold 7 times since being built in 1999

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detail.html?country=england&locationIdentifier=STREET%5E2338798&searchLocation=Sandhurst+Close

how did you get ten percent drop from those figures above?

the place you linked too sold in 2009 and 2012 for the same price, so with interest and buying selling fees they might as well have rented.

HOLA447
HOLA448

http://news.bbc.co.u.../34uf.stm#table

Northampton house prices reported as down by - 6.0 % in the last quarter. :blink:

-----

http://www.northampt...arket-1-4776867

Signs of recovery in East Midlands property market :lol:

The number of housing transactions increased in the Northamptonshire property market during January, a new survey has found!

Interetsing and a bit confusing!

Good news and I hope that's true - but how does that work?

None of the different kinds of houses fell by 6% - so how come the All category did?

Possibly explained by a major change in the mix of what sold?

More terraced and semis sold - less detached?

AREA AV PRICE QTR ANNUAL SALES

Northampton £131,151 0.3% 4.1% 261 Terraced

Northampton £143,162 -3.5% 1.1% 214 Semi

Northampton £95,409 -3.7% -6.1% 58 Flats

Northampton £234,132 -4.2% -1.9% 170 Detached

Northampton £156,761 -6.0% 1.1% 703 All

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I'm new to this forum and was just having a bit of a browse about

If prices in NN4 are still below their peaks in 2007 why are houses in my street selling for more then before the banking crisis

In fact one house sold recently and a full asking price offer was made followed by a further offer above asking price

There probably is a lack of supply in this area but that is partly because they aren't building in Hunsbury, Wootton and Grange Park anymore so the level of supply is going to stabilise after developers have finished.

Whenever you buy a house you always think you are paying too much and certainly where I am houses sell pretty quickly

I think generally speaking NN4 is a solid area and if you want to wait about thinking prices are going to drop by 30% then good luck - I think you're in for a long wait

Erm, I think we're in agreement, as in a later post you say prices are down around 10%? I'd agree that 10% sounds about right. I certainly haven't seen a house that has sold for more than it sold for in 2007, but there will always be the odd house that defies gravity. And for the very rich, buying their half a million pound homes overlooking Collingtree golf course, austerity Britain may as well be on a different planet for all it effects them.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

True. There are some crazy prices at the moment:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-37625017.html

That's basically a 2 bed semi with an attic conversion for £220k. Last sold in 2007 for £210k. No dining room and tiny kitchen. Where exactly are you supposed to eat (apart from on the sofa in front of the telly)? Calling the 14 square foot lounge a "lounge/dining room" is a con. Where do you keep your hoover/ironing board? Yet they still squeeze in an en-suite, why?

The vendor basically wants/needs his money back. For that money, you could get a nice 4 bed detached with a utility room, downstairs loo, dining room and decent garden in Grange Park a couple of years ago (you possibly still can if your look carefully...)

HOLA4413

Erm, I think we're in agreement, as in a later post you say prices are down around 10%? I'd agree that 10% sounds about right. I certainly haven't seen a house that has sold for more than it sold for in 2007, but there will always be the odd house that defies gravity. And for the very rich, buying their half a million pound homes overlooking Collingtree golf course, austerity Britain may as well be on a different planet for all it effects them.

Some streets round here have performed better then others and that will probably always be the way

For instance where I live a 3 Bed detached last year was selling for £216k they know sell for £230k and like I mentioned earlier an over asking price offer was made on a house last year

So prices haven't dropped hugely (30%) and they arent likely too as they are at most 10% from what they were back at the peek.

You might think asking prices round here are ridiculous (some are), but it is pointless thinking that the owners of a house that is on the market for £300k will accept an offer of £210k

What happens if the good schools stop performing - well that is pretty unlikey - I don't know but I doubt it will have too much impact

HOLA4414

Some streets round here have performed better then others and that will probably always be the way

For instance where I live a 3 Bed detached last year was selling for £216k they know sell for £230k and like I mentioned earlier an over asking price offer was made on a house last year

So prices haven't dropped hugely (30%) and they arent likely too as they are at most 10% from what they were back at the peek.

You might think asking prices round here are ridiculous (some are), but it is pointless thinking that the owners of a house that is on the market for £300k will accept an offer of £210k

What happens if the good schools stop performing - well that is pretty unlikey - I don't know but I doubt it will have too much impact

please enlighten us to why prices won't fall?

the only thing stopping them at the moment is bank forebearance and crazy government intervention....either of which could stop any time.

wages not going up...houses still affordable and overpriced.

today we see reports than people have stopped buying bonds..when that have blows the UK will be in a right mess.

in real terms..not the nominal terms u talk about...prices are down nearly thirty% but there was no wage inflation to make them affordable so we have inflation eroding peoples spare cash ultimately making houses even more affordable and due an even bigger correction..a correction they are trying to stop but can't a correction that will destroy the finances of many.

have you looked at the sales volumes on the advertiser...install time lows and that is with historical low interest rates# doesn't that tell you something?

the mantra of its different here is bull.s.hit. an area nay be more or less desirable...that is all.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA4415

Sounds like your convincing yourself that property in your street will not fall in value.

Oddly enough your idea is not that uncommon.

However, history shows that all properties tend to move with the market regardless of the street - both up and down.

Edited by HouseDog

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

please enlighten us to why prices won't fall?

the only thing stopping them at the moment is bank forebearance and crazy government intervention....either of which could stop any time.

wages not going up...houses still affordable and overpriced.

today we see reports than people have stopped buying bonds..when that have blows the UK will be in a right mess.

in real terms..not the nominal terms u talk about...prices are down nearly thirty% but there was no wage inflation to make them affordable so we have inflation eroding peoples spare cash ultimately making houses even more affordable and due an even bigger correction..a correction they are trying to stop but can't a correction that will destroy the finances of many.

have you looked at the sales volumes on the advertiser...install time lows and that is with historical low interest rates# doesn't that tell you something?

the mantra of its different here is bull.s.hit. an area nay be more or less desirable...that is all.

If prices haven't "crashed" in the last 5 years then they are unlikely to now

The economy is poor but nowhere near the Armageddon we faced a few years ago

For sure the low interest rate is helping most people but when are rates likely to go up again - currently the markets reckon some point in 2017 before they get to 0.75% and about 2020 before they get to 1.5% so it will be a very very slow rise

Yep people have moved out of Bonds but that is because the yield is low so they moved into the Stock Market which has had a cracking start to the year

It's partly about perception as well, if inflation is 3% and you get a 3% pay rise then you are no better off but if you have bought a house then at least you are paying it back.

As for the Bovis thing well that started off about 7 years ago as 2200 homes and lets not forget anyone who lives round here has a fairly new house all of which were built on green fields, there is nothing wrong with new developments as long as it is done properly

HOLA4425

nice...that explains all the attempted house sales in collingtree park.

I just found this plan from the last time the proposal was made. It looks like the golf course will just be reconfigured and the new houses will be the other side of it. Only the current driving range would be built on.

Collingtree-Master.jpg

Edited by thecrashingisles