House Price Crash Forum

Northampton

HouseDog

HOLA441

Grange Park is nice for what it is - a new housing estate in the middle of nowhere. I take it you're only looking for new-build? That limits your choices a bit. I'm a big fan of Hardingstone, it's close to town but has retained its sense of village community, but there isn't much new there. There are some nice villages south of Northampton worth checking out like Stoke Bruene, although prices may be a little higher.

hi, it doesnt have to be new build but I do want a detatched which mostly means a new build in the areas we're looking

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

The 3 bedroom house has dropped in price to: £199,950

The Rookery, Grange Park, Northamptonshire

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-33565687.html

199K for a 3 bed house....The world is still mad.

3 bed house, you would say this is an average family home ( perhaps ) so that would be what, 10 times the average Northampton wage.

Can anyone see any problem with that ?

Anyone ?

seems like a very good buy now think I'll have to go back for a 2nd look

Are you insane ? Or worse, an estate agent ?

EDIT:

P.S. When you say:

"seems like a very good buy now"

What is the price per square foot ?

I see some propertues selling at auciton for £100 per square foot.

Anything near £200 is around 2007 peak prices.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA447

Count, that looks a fair(ish) price in the current market. We'd all like the world to change, but its unlikely to happen. Looks like it was last sold for £153k in 2003 so it's no bargain. I worry that Grange Park could look very grubby in ten years time though, once the "newness" has worn off, as it has nothing apart from new-build houses and roads.

hunter, if you can put up with the noise from the A45 a few yards from your front door, this house in Wootton looks fair value:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-22888272.html

I'm guessing its a repo. I like the line "Priced to sell", as if Connells normally price houses to languish on Rightmove for 6 months (well, they often do as it happens!).

8 Chestnutt Avenue. Previous sale prices:

15/2/08 - 250k

18/8/08 - 236k

Ouch, that's got to sting.

I'd buy it, only I don't think I could ever get used to the traffic noise: it's seriously loud around there.

HOLA448

3 bed house, you would say this is an average family home ( perhaps ) so that would be what, 10 times the average Northampton wage.

Can anyone see any problem with that ?

Anyone ?

It's a detached house in one of the most expensive estates in Northamptonshire. I would guess that the majority of residents work in Milton Keynes or the South East, where average wages are considerably higher. The "average family" home would be a 3 bed semi in Duston.

HOLA449

It's a detached house in one of the most expensive estates in Northamptonshire. I would guess that the majority of residents work in Milton Keynes or the South East, where average wages are considerably higher. The "average family" home would be a 3 bed semi in Duston.

Ok, we'll go with the average national wage, about £25K, so it's 8 time the national average wage.

This is the reality of the situation, it's still 100K over valued !!!!!

It's a fairish price in only estate agents and deluded peoples minds. Anyone with half a brain would just look at the land registry values and say, 200K asking price, sold for about 150K in 2003, cant be worth any more than 150K now, I'll tell the estate agent to F.O. or offer £140K.

Unless people wise up this nightmare will never end.

To state:

" seems like a very good buy"

Means you need to take a step back and look at the facts.

200K for a tiny house is not a very good buy, especially for a crappy housing estate way out by the motorway. If/When the school takes a turn for the worse anyone living there is going to be one unhappy and poor idiot.

Lastly, the sale prices round northampton are still around the bottom level after the crash, you should be looking at offer 200K for a 4 bed round wotton not settling for a poxy little house and a life time of debt.

Rent until sanity prevails.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Count, we've been chewing the cud on here for over FOUR years now! Four years! And house prices still haven't crashed. I've spent forty-eight thousand pounds in rent. For what? I'm sick of this forum.

Dont forget to subtract the interest on savings or mortgage repayments and the money you have saved by not buying into this scam, so that is not a true figure and fine well you know it.

House prices have crash 20+ in nominal terms and 30% in real terms. The land registry bears this out.

No wonder agents keep trying to bump the prices up when idiots are saying,ohhhh 200K for a tiny 3 bed house on a crappy estate is good value. The chap in question should be laughing in the face of the agent and telling them to get real and offering 30% under that 2007 peak asking price.

To do anything else is just keeping this sham going.

I could be polite and tell the idiot in question that yeah, go and spend 200K on a pokey little house but I can't. The price is tragic for the buyer to pay that will cripple them for their whole lives.

GET REAL

HOLA4412

Dont forget to subtract the interest on savings or mortgage repayments and the money you have saved by not buying into this scam, so that is not a true figure and fine well you know it.

House prices have crash 20+ in nominal terms and 30% in real terms. The land registry bears this out.

I STR'd in Spring 2008. Prices in NN4 are more or less the same now as they were then. I'm pretty sure the land registry will bear that out. When I was getting 6% interest, the interest from my savings subsidised my rent, but not any more. At best, I reckon I've broken even over my decision to STR. I'm currently losing money by renting. Houses I spurned that were going for for 220k in late 2008/early 2009 have come back on the market and sold for nearly 250k recently.

HOLA4413

I STR'd in Spring 2008. Prices in NN4 are more or less the same now as they were then. I'm pretty sure the land registry will bear that out. When I was getting 6% interest, the interest from my savings subsidised my rent, but not any more. At best, I reckon I've broken even over my decision to STR. I'm currently losing money by renting. Houses I spurned that were going for for 220k in late 2008/early 2009 have come back on the market and sold for nearly 250k recently.

Please give us some land registry examples.

From what I saw, in 2008 prices of 4 beds round wootton dropped below 200K nothing much has sold since. The asking prices round wootton are defo at 2007, you'd be a mug to pay that. Agents love mugs. Stop pretending to yourselves that these are 'good value' and tell the agents to **** off and stop trying to steal your hard earned cash.

I saw 1 2 bed flat sell for about 60K ( it's on this topic a long way back ) . That was when the banks had to sell.

That time is coming round again.

Look around you at NH, it is falling apart.

HOLA4414

Early 2009 was the time for a "bargain". At the time I assumed (like most on this forum) that prices would continue to fall (instead they picked up). I'm not sure those days will return, but who knows?

A few quick examples of houses I've looked at over the last four years:

29 Spartan Close - This was for on at £200k in 2008 as a repo - don't know what price it went for. It recently sold for £250k.

39 Walkers Way - sold for 190k Jan 09, sold again for 232k Jun 10

24 Nettle Gap Close - sold for 192k Feb 09, sold again for 226k Apr 11

28 Berry Lane - sold for 230k Mar 08. Recently went under offer within a couple of weeks of being on the market at an asking price of 275k (so I'm guessing it went for at least £250k).

107 Bouverie Road, Hardingstone - sold for £249k in May 08, sold again for 245k in Jul 10

59 Walkers Way - sold for 211k in May 06, sold again for 225k Oct 11 (after being on the market for about two years!)

HOLA4415

Early 2009 was the time for a "bargain". At the time I assumed (like most on this forum) that prices would continue to fall (instead they picked up). I'm not sure those days will return, but who knows?

A few quick examples of houses I've looked at over the last four years:

29 Spartan Close - This was for on at £200k in 2008 as a repo - don't know what price it went for. It recently sold for £250k.

39 Walkers Way - sold for 190k Jan 09, sold again for 232k Jun 10

24 Nettle Gap Close - sold for 192k Feb 09, sold again for 226k Apr 11

28 Berry Lane - sold for 230k Mar 08. Recently went under offer within a couple of weeks of being on the market at an asking price of 275k (so I'm guessing it went for at least £250k).

107 Bouverie Road, Hardingstone - sold for £249k in May 08, sold again for 245k in Jul 10

59 Walkers Way - sold for 211k in May 06, sold again for 225k Oct 11 (after being on the market for about two years!)

Early 2009 was the time for a "bargain".

Those weren't bargains, those were fools gold.

You are showing a small set of individual properties some of which you don't have the full facts on.

To now says something is 'good value' when clearly is not just shows you are getting desperate...probably as desperate as the idiots that have paid 2007 prices for crappy houses.

To encourage it is crazy, you might as well turn bull and buy a house. I can show you dozends of listing that have fallen through in the last 2 weeks, I can show you dozens of listings of price drops.

None of them are any value whatsoever.

P.S. Ive had to watch a friend of mine be convinced by an EA to rent out hid flat to buy a 230K 4 bed detatched in Duston only to see the price of the flats ( which dont sell ) drop 20K and other 4 bed houses round about him drop 30K. He is not 50K worse off because he played along with an agent. He has now lost his job.

If you want to lick some estate agents a**e then go ahead, don't be surprised when it turns out they were playing youi for a mug.

HOLA4416

Richard Greener auction today - any info on sold prices?

http://www.auctionhouse.uk.net/richardgreener/Search-Results.aspx?AuctionID=499

Not interested in any of the lots - but want to gauge sentiment.

Looks like they sold all but 2. The shocker was the place in Spratton, well above guide.

I went in and spoke to RG last year, he agreed asking prices were silly but had to tell the vendors what they wanted to here !!! From what I remember he was realistic as to the housing market though and expected people to offer low,

He then preceed to offer us all the s**t he had on his books even though I told him 10 times, NO THANKS.

He's a salesman I guess and was trying to sell.

said I'd come back when he was being realistic.

HOLA4417

If you want to lick some estate agents a**e then go ahead, don't be surprised when it turns out they were playing youi for a mug.

:lol: Thanks! I think you're over-estimating the ability of estate agents to dictate house prices though.

I had a mate who called me a mug for buying my first house in 1995. It was £45k and he said houses were massively over-valued. He continued to rent for the next ten years. It turned out to be the only good financial decision I've ever made. I'm hopeless at predicting what prices will do so maybe I should just give up and join the rest of the mugs and get on with my life?

HOLA4418

:lol: Thanks! I think you're over-estimating the ability of estate agents to dictate house prices though.

I had a mate who called me a mug for buying my first house in 1995. It was £45k and he said houses were massively over-valued. He continued to rent for the next ten years. It turned out to be the only good financial decision I've ever made. I'm hopeless at predicting what prices will do so maybe I should just give up and join the rest of the mugs and get on with my life?

I don't get why people think they need to own a house to get on with their lives. If my jobs falls through tomorrow I can easilly up sticks and move...then get on with my life else where. Owning a house locally would stop me from living my lfie.

I notice that the egyt that said the 3 bed house is not saying much, is he an EA troll ?

What was the price per square footage of the house ? I estimate about £250....that is crazy 2007 bubble prices.

HOLA4419

I don't get why people think they need to own a house to get on with their lives. If my jobs falls through tomorrow I can easilly up sticks and move...then get on with my life else where. Owning a house locally would stop me from living my lfie.

It's just kids really. Pre-kids, my "home" used to be just somewhere I slept when I wasn't down the pub or on holiday or having a life. Post kids, most of my "life" (for what it's worth) now takes place at home. If I had more money and we could go out more I probably wouldn't be so fussed.

HOLA4420

I notice that the egyt that said the 3 bed house is not saying much, is he an EA troll ?

What was the price per square footage of the house ? I estimate about £250....that is crazy 2007 bubble prices.

Not a troll just thought the topic had moved onto another discussion really. I think we'd all like houses to be cheaper but I'm not sure thats going to happen anytime soon, maybe I'm wrong but honestly I have no idea, even the 'experts' can't agree. I don't want to sell and rent for 10 years and find the market is still the same, maybe it won't be, maybe my husband and I are idiots, but we just want a nice house in a safe area. As I'm selling my current home and relocating the fact all houses are pricey at the moment kind of doesnt matter in my situation as its all relative.

HOLA4421

Ignore The Count, he's a revolutionary (but entertaining with it).

Have you seen this house?:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-22842120.html

It's just come on with Haart for 10 grand cheaper, but they don't have any internal photos, strangely. Hardingstone's a bit cheaper than Wootton and Grange Park because the school's crap - though it's a bit rougher as well.

HOLA4422

Have you seen this house?:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-22842120.html

It's just come on with Haart for 10 grand cheaper, but they don't have any internal photos, strangely. Hardingstone's a bit cheaper than Wootton and Grange Park because the school's crap - though it's a bit rougher as well.

Ignore PabloPatito, he is a worries and would rather not buy a house than treat an EA as the bitch they are.

HOLA4423

Not a troll just thought the topic had moved onto another discussion really. I think we'd all like houses to be cheaper but I'm not sure thats going to happen anytime soon, maybe I'm wrong but honestly I have no idea, even the 'experts' can't agree. I don't want to sell and rent for 10 years and find the market is still the same, maybe it won't be, maybe my husband and I are idiots, but we just want a nice house in a safe area. As I'm selling my current home and relocating the fact all houses are pricey at the moment kind of doesnt matter in my situation as its all relative.

I think you are missing the point...House prices are still dropping every month and every year nominally and in real terms.

When/if you buy, you need to be paying below the going rate.

Use facts to back up your offers.

Asking prices are at all time high...selling prices at all time lows....you work it out.

HOLA4424

Ignore PabloPatito, he is a worries and would rather not buy a house than treat an EA as the bitch they are.

Pay attention to both The Count and PabloPatito both have valid view points from their different perspectives.

What I see is that house prices have been and still are falling slowly in most parts of Northampton. However, the 'desirable' enclaves of Grange Park, Wooton & Hardingstone do seem to be holding their prices more than other areas. I follow NN3 where I'm seeing consistent price reductions - but I have a very strong feeling that theres still a long way to go before we reach the bottom price. at some point quantative easing will be switched off, interest rates will rise and people with properties they can't afford will have to pay the piper. Markets always clear regardless of government intervention.

However, If I was buying I wouldn't trust any estate agent and if making an offer I'd start low.

To find an alternate idea of Grange Park you could ask here: http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/local_northampton

Or here: http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/property

HOLA4425

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-34223800.html

5 bedroom detached house for sale

Guide Price

£425,000

A spacious four/five bedroom detached house with attached annexe extending to over 3,000 sq ft,

That's

£142 per square foot....That's a sensible price!!!