House Price Crash Forum

We Are Now At The Eye Of The Storm

vfr

HOLA441

We all know we are deep in it.

We all know......and yet the commentary needs now to switch to the after effects of the storm about to hit. What is the nitty gitty of outcome?. I don't think I know yet but I do know that flexibility is the key to weathering the storm .

1. What do you expect and what have you done so far?

2. And how will you mitigate your losses?

myself, I continue in business and despite the ups and downs intend to duck and dive , bob and weave, reinvent and work bl**dy hard to ensure my family and I will not be affected.

I expect the unexpected and at the same time am driving for success.

but to mitigate my losses I have done the following

Down sized to reduce the money pit of property commercial and home.

Gone for city living (castle walls and all that)

taken out smaller but more prestigous offices.

on the look out for different opportunities.

started making contacts across a broader than usual spectrum outside my usual business.

bought some agri- land .

Current long term outlook I have reduced from 1 year to three months on any business deal.

reduced business cashflows maximum three months ahead.

Offices -renting , easy in easy out. maximum three months notice, was 12.

Any deals must be turned around within 3 months with my exposure down to 30% of any deal. was up to 9 and 50%

Reduction in employed staff. outsourcing/contracting now 65%, no notice.

Employment of Entreprenarial staff with financial commitment.

no Overdraft or credit

Long term investments . gold, commodity portfolio.

tightening of credit terms offered.. increased discount for quick payment.

started to attach a cost to what were free services and added value.

reduced customer reponse times

Intereste dto hear what others are doing/have done, share ideas etc.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

myself, I continue in business and despite the ups and downs intend to duck and dive , bob and weave, reinvent and work bl**dy hard to ensure my family and I will not be affected.

lets hope your not in the same business as people like me cos im desperate and ill be cutting prices to a mere scent of a working profit if i have to, and i have no family to feed and no loans to pay off.

i only have a van and a dog. and even that can catch rabbits and the van can deliver......

you might be able to bob and weave but can you stop a bullet ?

HOLA444
HOLA445
We all know we are deep in it.

We all know......and yet the commentary needs now to switch to the after effects of the storm about to hit. What is the nitty gitty of outcome?. I don't think I know yet but I do know that flexibility is the key to weathering the storm .

I expect the unexpected and at the same time am driving for success.

but to mitigate my losses I have done the following

Down sized to reduce the money pit of property commercial and home.

Gone for city living (castle walls and all that)

taken out smaller but more prestigous offices.

on the look out for different opportunities.

started making contacts across a broader than usual spectrum outside my usual business.

bought some agri- land .

Current long term outlook I have reduced from 1 year to three months on any business deal.

reduced business cashflows maximum three months ahead.

Offices -renting , easy in easy out. maximum three months notice, was 12.

Any deals must be turned around within 3 months with my exposure down to 30% of any deal. was up to 9 and 50%

Reduction in employed staff. outsourcing/contracting now 65%, no notice.

Employment of Entreprenarial staff with financial commitment.

no Overdraft or credit

Long term investments . gold, commodity portfolio.

tightening of credit terms offered.. increased discount for quick payment.

started to attach a cost to what were free services and added value.

reduced customer reponse times

Intereste dto hear what others are doing/have done, share ideas etc.

Major energy and water efficiency drive round the house. Combined gas, water and electric bill less than £900 a year

Cycle or bus to work. Potenital to slim down to 1 vehicle if necessary. Can always use street car for emergencies etc.

Doing some extra contract work b4 it dries up.

Paying equivalent of 0.5% extra capital off mortgage each month.

Built up 11K debt on 0% credit cards - money invested in 5.8% ISA

Cut food bill by 30% switching to home prepared food.

Ripped out useless shrubs in garden and replaced with hazel, apple, pear and plum trees, and 2 grape vines - should be productive in 3 years!

polished off my air guns and learning to like wood pigeon again - my garden is infested! If things get really desperate there are about 10,000 bunnies in the field near me - Im sure the farmer wont mind a few for the pot!

Mapped out all the productive sweet chestnut, hazel, elderberry, wild cherry, mushroom patches, blackberry, sloe and damson bushes in the locality.

Basically household could survive for several years on a 1 mcjob or shelf stacking in the local tescos

HOLA446
Major energy and water efficiency drive round the house. Combined gas, water and electric bill less than £900 a year

Cycle or bus to work. Potenital to slim down to 1 vehicle if necessary. Can always use street car for emergencies etc.

Doing some extra contract work b4 it dries up.

Paying equivalent of 0.5% extra capital off mortgage each month.

Built up 11K debt on 0% credit cards - money invested in 5.8% ISA

Cut food bill by 30% switching to home prepared food.

Ripped out useless shrubs in garden and replaced with hazel, apple, pear and plum trees, and 2 grape vines - should be productive in 3 years!

polished off my air guns and learning to like wood pigeon again - my garden is infested! If things get really desperate there are about 10,000 bunnies in the field near me - Im sure the farmer wont mind a few for the pot!

Mapped out all the productive sweet chestnut, hazel, elderberry, wild cherry, mushroom patches, blackberry, sloe and damson bushes in the locality.

Basically household could survive for several years on a 1 mcjob or shelf stacking in the local tescos

you got to ask yourself if the family can survive WITHOUT the tesco or mcjob, these jobs will be held by former rocket scientists. and still no one would buy a mcburger as they would also be eating freshy shot woodpidgeon. also you wont be able to selll your house, car, furniture cos no one else will have any money for anything other than food and fuel.

[cue groove armada sound track]

specially stewed blackburn moor wild rabbit with freshly pinched russet potatoes, drizzled with a rich rabbits blood gravy.

served on a bed of crisp layers of wood pidgeon beaks:

...this isnt just food...this is DOWN & OUT food......

Edited by right_freds_dead

HOLA447
You lot are the lucky ones.

Some wont know until it until it smacks them in the face. > middle class, heavy debt loads, keeping up with the jones.

Some will slip beneath the radar and wont be worse off > stay on benefits

We are the informed ones - the survivors - the Phoenixes who will rise from the wreckage of Browns Miracle economy. I bet in 20 years most of us will be BTL millionaires :lol:

BTW I love that picture :P

HOLA448
you got to ask yourself if the family can survive WITHOUT the tesco or mcjob, these jobs will be held by former rocket scientists. and still no one would buy a mcburger as they would also be eating freshy shot woodpidgeon. also you wont be able to selll your house, car, furniture cos no one else will have any money for anything other than food and fuel.

specially stewed blackburn moor wild rabbit with freshly pinched russet potatoes, drizzled with a rich rabbits blood gravy.

Phew - thats a relief - my real name is Werner Von Braun

HOLA449

Hi,

My friends and I are staying in a shared rented house, though all in our 30s. We figure when prices fall we'll be in a perfect position. Also we have such a great house for the money as the market is saturated with lovely rented houses.

J

HOLA4410

You forgot the squirrels ...

HOLA4411

Oh, I forgot to add that in the last HPC when my sister couldn't get rid of her house for *any* money once she'd had to move elsewhere, the tenants she was forced to let to built an entire ....

Rabbit farm

in the garden!

To be honest, times were quite hard back then, as I young man I found work very hard to get at all, let alone something 1/2 decent.

I distinctly remember walking round a south london warehouse with a big hammer, smacking f*ck out of the dexion racking and shouting "I spent 4 f*cking years doing an engineering degree to get to do this sh*t job, FFFFS".

Lovely place to work, syringes in the yard, people bottled in the street outside in the middle of the day, live ammo dumped on the pavement, people running into the showroom lifting what they could and just legging it. The best one was the guys who came in pointing a shotgun at us and took all of a couple of hundred from the till (though the ones that broke in through the roof were perhaps more inventive).

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Never tried squirrel but thinking about it they probably taste pretty good - all them acorns and beech masts they feed on

Im almosted tempted to give it try.........

I used to live near the Norfolk Coast. 2 mile walk to the beach and you could rake for cockles. Fukk it - there was a seal colony aswell- one of those would fill the freezer for months :lol:

HOLA4414
Never tried squirrel but thinking about it they probably taste pretty good - all them acorns and beech masts they feed on

Im almosted tempted to give it try.........

I have, not good. Though there are those that would disagree, I'm told. In any case, they're bloody hard to shoot being fairly canny wee beasties (In the country at least. In London they're cheekier than the rats, probably because they have fluffy rather than scaly tails so people think they're cute even if they are rats in trees. They're not even British, god damn it. Bloody immigrants :) )

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
I have, not good. Though there are those that would disagree, I'm told. In any case, they're bloody hard to shoot being fairly canny wee beasties (In the country at least. In London they're cheekier than the rats, probably because they have fluffy rather than scaly tails so people think they're cute even if they are rats in trees. They're not even British, god damn it. Bloody immigrants :) )

In what way chewy - perhaps they need a long tender cook thats all.

HOLA4418

sorry - double post

BTW - liked the redneck mum - she was quite cute

Edited by Kurt Barlow

HOLA4419

Indeed. I would not want to eat game whose primary food source was my own refuse and detritus.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Ahhhhh, how homely! (sarcasm tag )

Shotguns are cheating for tree rats though, and much harder to come by for the hard put and regulated UK recession forced family hunter-gatherer :)

(Aside : I'm all in favour of firearm regulation in the UK, though the effectiveness does seem to be in doubt when any 14 year old seems to be able to get himself a handgun without too much effort or expenditure)

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
Ahhhhh, how homely! (sarcasm tag )

Shotguns are cheating for tree rats though, and much harder to come by for the hard put and regulated UK recession forced family hunter-gatherer :)

(Aside : I'm all in favour of firearm regulation in the UK, though the effectiveness does seem to be in doubt when any 14 year old seems to be able to get himself a handgun without too much effort or expenditure)

All these recession survival threads end in the same place - redneck county

Perhaps Phil and Krustie could be commissioned to do a Location, location, location for HPC

'THis week Phil and I are looking for'

A swamp

Log cabin

shotgun

banjo

cheque shirt retailer

HOLA4425
I used to live near the Norfolk Coast. 2 mile walk to the beach and you could rake for cockles. Fukk it - there was a seal colony aswell- one of those would fill the freezer for months :lol:

Saw Fight Club was back on the box tonight, love it when Tyler Durden sells ar5e lard back to rich bitches as soap. Any need for seal soap? Not that they have fat arses, they're just blubber challenged with low self esteem :)

Edited by Converted Lurker