Topher Bear

HOLA441
  • 2 months later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

of all my searching this is the best place to go to find info on rights and responsibilities of tenants and landlords:

The Citizens Advice Bureau AdviceSite

It doesn't really say any more than can be found elsewhere, but its all in one place and is reasonably easy to understand....you might be surprised to find out what is your responsability as well as what is your landlords!

Its a MUST for any tenant

Also here is a great source of first contact for when you have a problem

Shelter Housing Advice

hey thanks for awaring people gud job keep it up:)

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA443

Correct, except that the landlord does not need to notify you that he will be applying for a court order; he can just do it. Of course you will get notice that proceedings have been started.

Just thought I'd post an update to this thread that the six months of our tenancy came and passed and nothing happened, other than us getting sent a new six month lease in the post to sign and send back.

No renewal fees, no rent increases, and no new SoD notice either. Not sure if that means the original one is invalid now.

Edited by Jie Bie

HOLA444

Just thought I'd post an update to this thread that the six months of our tenancy came and passed and nothing happened, other than us getting sent a new six month lease in the post to sign and send back.

No renewal fees, no rent increases, and no new SoD notice either. Not sure if that means the original one is invalid now.

It does, yes

tim

• 1 year later...
HOLA445
  • 3 months later...
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
  • 1 month later...
HOLA449
  • 5 years later...
HOLA4410

Hi everyone

i would really appreciate some help.

ive been renting for a year and decided the crash ain't coming soon enough and I've found a modest affordable home in the village I want to live and secure my children's school place.

the house I rent had a greenhouse and was assured landlord would make it safe. Long story short, they didn't so I took it down in a fit of rage. 

I'm now worried about my deposit. Am I automatically going to lose this? Can I contest any withholding of deposit monies?

help greatly appreciated.

last resort I'm contemplating not paying the last months rent :-(

HOLA4411
2 hours ago, insertcoinstocontinue said:

Hi everyone

i would really appreciate some help.

ive been renting for a year and decided the crash ain't coming soon enough and I've found a modest affordable home in the village I want to live and secure my children's school place.

the house I rent had a greenhouse and was assured landlord would make it safe. Long story short, they didn't so I took it down in a fit of rage. 

I'm now worried about my deposit. Am I automatically going to lose this? Can I contest any withholding of deposit monies?

help greatly appreciated.

last resort I'm contemplating not paying the last months rent :-(

You should read up on the deposit dispute process on the website of whichever scheme is holding your deposit (your landlord should have told you which one - did they?). That is the process you will use if they make a deduction and you decide to contest it. Landlord withholds some deposit, you open a dispute on the website, landlord submits their response, arbiter decides what if anything to award the landlord, you get the rest back.

How old was the greenhouse? I'm guessing the monetary value of an ancient greenhouse is going to be close to zero, they can't deduct the price of a new one to replace an old one. Do you have evidence that they agreed to make it safe e.g. emails? You could include such evidence if you want to open a dispute.

They may not actually try to make a deduction though, the landlord might just think you've saved them a job.

Edited by Dorkins

HOLA4412

Thanks so much dorkins, i didn't realise a dispute is handled by a third party.

i have correspondence and photographic evidence of the safety issues re greenhouse. Broken panes etc. The greenhouse was about 20 years old. I looked at buying a replacement but they retail at £500 which shocked me!!

i was going to offer the landlord £200 but would obviously rather not pay anything as he has been awful to deal with.

7 hours ago, Dorkins said:

You should read up on the deposit dispute process on the website of whichever scheme is holding your deposit (your landlord uld have told you which one - did they?). That is the process you will use if they make a deduction and you decide to contest it. Landlord withholds some deposit, you open a dispute on the website, landlord submits their response, arbiter decides what if anything to award the landlord, you get the rest back.

How old was the greenhouse? I'm guessing the monetary value of an ancient greenhouse is going to be close to zero, they can't deduct the price of a new one to replace an old one. Do you have evidence that they agreed to make it safe e.g. emails? You could include such evidence if you want to open a dispute.

They may not actually try to make a deduction though, the landlord might just think you've saved them a job.

HOLA4413
6 hours ago, insertcoinstocontinue said:

Thanks so much dorkins, i didn't realise a dispute is handled by a third party.

i have correspondence and photographic evidence of the safety issues re greenhouse. Broken panes etc. The greenhouse was about 20 years old. I looked at buying a replacement but they retail at £500 which shocked me!!

i was going to offer the landlord £200 but would obviously rather not pay anything as he has been awful to deal with.

If you have evidence that they promised to make a 20 year old (!) greenhouse safe and failed to do so that should help your case. If it were me I wouldn't offer anything or replace the greenhouse now, I'd just clean the house and move out, ask for the undisputed portion of the deposit back within 2 weeks of the end of the tenancy and raise a claim for the rest via the deposit scheme. Keep an eye on deadlines, not sure what it is but you may have something like 30 days from the end of the tenancy to initiate a claim so find out what this is if you think you might use it.

I'd be fairly amazed if the arbiter awarded the landlord a single pound to make good the loss of a broken and potentially dangerous 20 year old greenhouse, that sounds less than worthless.

Edited by Dorkins

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
1 hour ago, Dorkins said:

If you have evidence that they promised to make a 20 year old (!) greenhouse safe and failed to do so that should help your case. If it were me I wouldn't offer anything or replace the greenhouse now, I'd just clean the house and move out, ask for the undisputed portion of the deposit back within 2 weeks of the end of the tenancy and raise a claim for the rest via the deposit scheme. Keep an eye on deadlines, not sure what it is but you may have something like 30 days from the end of the tenancy to initiate a claim so find out what this is if you think you might use it.

I'd be fairly amazed if the arbiter awarded the landlord a single pound to make good the loss of a broken and potentially dangerous 20 year old greenhouse, that sounds less than worthless.

Thanks again for your advice, very comprehensive and has cheered me up as the landlord has treated me with utter contempt. I never want to rent again.

ill let you know how I get on. I won't be giving notice for another couple of weeks yet.

have a great weekend and thanks again as you never know what to expect on this forum :-)

HOLA4416
3 hours ago, insertcoinstocontinue said:

Thanks again for your advice, very comprehensive and has cheered me up as the landlord has treated me with utter contempt. I never want to rent again.

ill let you know how I get on. I won't be giving notice for another couple of weeks yet.

have a great weekend and thanks again as you never know what to expect on this forum :-)

No worries, good luck and let us know how it goes.

• 1 year later...
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
2 hours ago, Mancunian284 said:

The agency claim that they have had permission from me.

In my experience, LA doesn’t normally ask permission but instead says they will do inspection on X day.

You can refuse access, as is your right, though they can retaliate and S21 you, as allowed to them under the privileges they enjoy. 

Honestly, I’d just accept inspections as a battle you can’t win. By rights you should be left in peace but in practice you’re not. As a compromise you could insist that you are present when they happen and the LA doesn’t rock up 2 hours early and let themselves in (as happened to me).

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Councils only appear interested in tackling disrepair and overcrowding. In all other cases they seem to want to prevent evictions, even if it means injustice towards the tenant.

i’d just email the agent and say this was a breach of your right to quiet enjoyment of your home and you would ask that in the future a minimum of 24 hours notice must be given, as outlined in your AST. 

Leave it at that. If they keep to that agreement then great, if not you might have a claim that they beached tenancy when you come to get deposit back. Keep a diary of all incidents and correspondence. 

HOLA4424
HOLA4425