House Price Crash Forum

I Am A Good Mother, Worker And Citizen, But Have No Future

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
Where's the financial contribution from the father of her child?

I've run out of sympathy for people who have children without considering whether they can afford it.

To be fair, it's not always that black and white. Have you considered she may be a widow for example?

HOLA444

Seems like Ireland could do with remembering what happened in 1918. This time it's not rich english land owners that are making life unbearable for the masses, it's the tide of economic "success" (success for who?) that is driving ordinary people into dispair. I remember visiting Ireland every year as a child. We would always drive through Dublin on the way to relatives in the west. I went back a few years ago and the place was unrecognisable - but not in a good way.

HOLA445
HOLA446
But wouldn't it then say 35-year old widow? It is slightly odd how the father isn't mentioned. Wouldn't contributions from the father be compulsory.

Perhaps? My only point was that it's not always easy to judge. What if she (or the daughter) was a victim of domestic abuse from the father and this is why she is a single mum?

Just playing devil's advocate.

HOLA447

Why make it a big issue as to whether she is a single mum or not?

This article serves to illustrate the gross injustice that is being served on TAXPAYING people who want to work for a living rather than give up working and sponge off state benefits.

It does not only apply to single parents and does not only apply to Northern Ireland.

Families all over the UK are facing this problem.

I know of several families in this boat. Here's one example:

A couple I know (living in the South East) are both hardworking graduates who earn what would have been a reasonable income until stealth inflation started leaving them with less and less at the end of each month.

They have a two year old daughter and rent their tiny 2 bedroom house (Not amewsed, if they decided to wait until they could AFFORD buy a house, they would be in their graves! Do people have to sacrifice their right to have even ONE child for the sake of the government's incompetence??)

Due to rising rents around them, they cannot afford to move to a bigger place - they are lucky since their landlord has never put the rent up since they moved in 5 years ago.

The husband works full time and the wife has been working part time to minimise the time the child spends in daycare. At least half of her earnings are eaten up by childcare costs on the 3 days a week she does work.

Although their combined gross income is modest they earn too much to qualify for any sort of assistance from the state. This family do their level best not to have any debts but are finding it more and more difficult to get by every month.

It is very possible three or four years ago that this couple may have worked out that they could afford to have a child, but things have changed since then, including the outpacing of wage inflation by rampant consumer inflation that the government refuses to acknowledge..

(Another point for Not Amewsed: A LOT has changed over the last 5 or 6 years - don't assume that the woman in the article planned a child without thinking she could afford it!)

I wonder what would happen if more and more people who realised that it is not worthwhile to work, stopped and went on benefits, leaving an ever diminishing number of taxpayers to foot the country's increasing expenses - more benefits to pay, more income support for all the low earners, more schools and hospitals for the ever growing population of minimum wage immigrants and unemployed single mums who have as many (future sponging) children as possible to increase their benefits.

At the same time fewer and fewer educated and hard working couples will be producing future taxpayers because they cannot afford it. A recent newspaper article (sorry can't remember where) actually criticised professional couples as "not wanting to compromise their lifestyle", obviously implying selfishness, in order to have children.

Idiots run this country. Do they really think that lots of chav voters are more important than lots of taxpayers?

I'll stop here before I really start ranting!!!!

HOLA448
HOLA449
What if she (or the daughter) was a victim of domestic abuse from the father and this is why she is a single mum?

The reason is irrelevant - in the modern world every woman should think about how they will support a child before they have one. If they, their family or the child's father and his family might not be able to afford it in the long run, then there's a high risk they'll end up in this situation she's now complaining about.

Why make it a big issue as to whether she is a single mum or not?

This is the heart of her problem - the cost of raising the child is causing her financial problems and she realises that the actions she takes to deal with it will impact on the child.

(Not amewsed, if they decided to wait until they could AFFORD buy a house, they would be in their graves! Do people have to sacrifice their right to have even ONE child for the sake of the government's incompetence??)

Who said you need a house to have a chid? You need enough income over several decades - which means secure lucrative employment (protected from being diminished by globalisation) or a large amount of capital which generates income. Also, what right to have a child? Every extra child in the west places an even greater strain on world resources.

(Another point for Not Amewsed: A LOT has changed over the last 5 or 6 years - don't assume that the woman in the article planned a child without thinking she could afford it!)

My husband and I are both graduates - even 5 years ago we could work out that our salaries were not rising sufficiently to cover child care costs in addition to rent or a mortgage.

At the same time fewer and fewer educated and hard working couples will be producing future taxpayers because they cannot afford it.

Who said we needed more babies in order to produce future taxpayers? The government is replacing reproduction (takes 20 years of costs before they start paying tax) with immigration (instant tax payers - where they're legal!) The total population will continue to rise due to longer life expectancy and immigration, and income redistribution can happen within the existing population.

HOLA4410

I've run out of sympathy for people who have children without considering whether they can afford it.

Ive run out of sympathy for retards like you, many of us produce children in times that are good, only for things to turn bad.......... seems like the best part of you ran down your mums leg mate!

HOLA4411
Ive run out of sympathy for retards like you, many of us produce children in times that are good, only for things to turn bad.......... seems like the best part of you ran down your mums leg mate!

I wonder if your parents thought about being able to afford a waste of space like you? Think of all the resources and other children whom grew up, paid taxes to support you, in fact i bet i'm one of them since i was born in the early sixties, now why did i bother to support you once my working career begain?

Because i feel a sense of social responsability for my fellow countrymen, THATS WHY!

Friggin SNOB

HOLA4412

Seems harsh. I think its fair comment to want to know why the father is not contributing. Sure things go bad, but that does not mean the father no longer is responsible for the child. Perhaps she could accept SOME responsibility for her life and her choices. So far all I see is a sense of entitlement.

HOLA4413
I wonder if your parents thought about being able to afford a waste of space like you? Think of all the resources and other children whom grew up, paid taxes to support you, in fact i bet i'm one of them since i was born in the early sixties, now why did i bother to support you once my working career begain?

Because i feel a sense of social responsability for my fellow countrymen, THATS WHY!

Friggin SNOB

My parents waited 6 years after getting married before they had me. Later they considered having a third child but decided against as they could not afford it.

You paid your income tax just as my parents and I have paid and continue to pay ours to support others. I have no problem with assisting those who've fallen on hard times.

I'm saying people have to take personal responsiblity. It shouldn't come as a surprise to them that life is financially challenging if they choose to have children on a low income.

HOLA4414
I wonder what would happen if more and more people who realised that it is not worthwhile to work, stopped and went on benefits, leaving an ever diminishing number of taxpayers to foot the country's increasing expenses - more benefits to pay, more income support for all the low earners, more schools and hospitals for the ever growing population of minimum wage immigrants and unemployed single mums who have as many (future sponging) children as possible to increase their benefits.

At the same time fewer and fewer educated and hard working couples will be producing future taxpayers because they cannot afford it. A recent newspaper article (sorry can't remember where) actually criticised professional couples as "not wanting to compromise their lifestyle", obviously implying selfishness, in order to have children.

Idiots run this country. Do they really think that lots of chav voters are more important than lots of taxpayers?

I'll stop here before I really start ranting!!!!

Have you ever seen the film Idiocracy? Murdoch pulled it from major release so it's not widely known.

http://www.cinemablend.com/reviews/Idiocracy-1775.html

"Think about it. Who has the most kids? Stupid people. They're out their breeding like rabbits while geniuses spend their time developing a cure for male pattern baldness. That's the gist of the hilarious opening sequence to Idiocracy. The smartest, the most fit among us no longer procreate while the stupid screw their brains out ensuring that the human race as a whole gets stupider and stupider and stupider."

HOLA4415
Have you ever seen the film Idiocracy? Murdoch pulled it from major release so it's not widely known.

"Think about it. Who has the most kids? Stupid people. They're out their breeding like rabbits while geniuses spend their time developing a cure for male pattern baldness. That's the gist of the hilarious opening sequence to Idiocracy. The smartest, the most fit among us no longer procreate while the stupid screw their brains out ensuring that the human race as a whole gets stupider and stupider and stupider."

I'm not sure I buy the "all poor people are stupid" argument that you seem to be putting forward with your quote about some murdoch film. People have children for many reasons - how do you know that these people are not smarter than you? They are the ones getting a free ride on the DSS at your (and my) expense. Genetics has a habit of not conforming to rigid patterns of genetic expression. How do we know that the virulent procreators are not going to spawn some geniuses?

I think it's time to stop pointing the finger at the political and economic underclass as being to blame for the state of the country. If you want answers, look at consumerism and the way it has set us up to fail in forming a unified political force that is capable of reaching out, protesting and making a real difference to the way things are run. The process of deluding the masses began before the great depression, it accelerated after WWII and has destroyed the last vestiges of anything that is true, honest and decent in the world in favour of pandering to random desires and keeping us docile through mass market desire-fulfilment. This is the real reason for the mess the world is in today, not who does or does not have children.

HOLA4416

Reminds me of a vintage SF story called the Marching Morons -- in fact I wonder if the film-makers were aware of the story.

HOLA4417

Where do I start on this one...?

Always, always wear a condom!!!

My brother shaggs anything that wears a skirt. I'm not sure - but about 30 women a year. So far he has only managed to get 1 up-the-duff. She was a fecking land mine. 17 year old, wanting a baby. My brother was 30 and stupid enough to give it to her. Not even his girlfriend, just renting in the same house. When he didn't score he would come home drunk and she would be in his bed. She told him she was on the 'pill'. Stupid a55 believed her.

SHE... was previously pregnant with another bloke WHEN SHE WAS 15!!! This biatch REALLY wanted to get pregnant. My brother was a fecking idiot! She had a miscarrage at 15, because the bloke punched her in the stomach. I had to tell my brother not to do that. I now I was right. Difficult times. :( My brother and I didn't speak for 4 years. He still does not have anything to do with the kid (my only nephew :( ).

I do agree that our economy encourages the breeding of stupid people. I know one woman who does not have to work because the state (people who work and pay taxes) pay for her to have children. People on benifits, can better afford, children than people who work!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
More whining from those who think the world owes them something. Only interesting part was the comments about how much fun it is renting. Not a view that is allowed with the tin hat brigade on this site though.

As mentioned before, at least she's working. If you had heard moneybox live last Monday they were trying to help a single mother who was on benefits and who was planning to borrow money for an extenstion. I think her fourth was on the way. She had no plans to work.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/moneybox/7027805.stm

HOLA4420

Well she has my sympathy, but you're life isn't worthless because you can't buy a home. It's not the end of the world.

I'm sure if she told her story to a homeless family living in Sudan she might get some advice. The destruction of our environment is surely a real reason to worry about the future.

I was born on a tennant farm in Melton Mowbray in 1967, we had no running water or gas. The water had to be hand pumped from a spring well located in front of the house which we heated over an old range stove. I spent 10 years living on the familiy farm, we killed and grew most of own food and worked before and after school to help my grandad on the fields.

It was hard but it was also probably the best time in my life. If my parents were to have taken the same attitude to life then surely what future would any of us have. The fact that she has a child means she has a future, and it's reason for hope.

HOLA4421

Maybe she could afford it at the time of conception / birth or whatever. Things change.

To be fair, it's not always that black and white. Have you considered she may be a widow for example?

Maybe she believed her partner / husband would stick around. They don't always.

But wouldn't it then say 35-year old widow? It is slightly odd how the father isn't mentioned. Wouldn't contributions from the father be compulsory.

Yes, but do they pay. CSA or whatever it is called is not the answer.

I must say some on here are very judgemental. I have 2 children and do not plan on ending my marriage and neither does my husband (I think :unsure::lol: ). I hope my current situation prevails but one never knows what is around the corner.

Edited by Buffer Bear

HOLA4422
Maybe she could afford it at the time of conception / birth or whatever. Things change.

Maybe she believed her partner / husband would stick around. They don't always.

Yes, but do they pay. CSA or whatever it is called is not the answer.

I must say some on here are very judgemental. I have 2 children and hope my current situation prevails but one never knows what is around the corner.

Yes but what ever your circumstances, you make the best of what you have. Most people can't afford a private education for their kids but we don't moan about not having a future. Owning a home is not the most important thing in the world.

All thats missing these days is good social housing, private renting just has no security.

HOLA4423

Does no one think that this :-

And so I find myself with three options. I could join the ranks of the unemployed, apply for State benefits, try to get a house or flat on the housing list. I could move house again, uproot my little girl (the fourth such move in her short life), take her away from her school, friends and family, face into increased commute times and even more time apart for both of us.

Is crazy ?

The idea that someone with a good job could consider becoming unemployed is loony. Sadly living on benefits can often be a good idea for some.