Buy A Wood And Live In It

HOLA441
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
I can buy 7 acres of woodland in prime surrey countryside. Sounds like heaven, and only £55k.

Woodland for sale

I could build myself an eco home deep in there, with it's own generator, water tank etc. Even a big caravan would do.

What are the chances that I would be asked to move on? Is anyone responsible for inspections etc?

You need planning. You won't get it. So you'll get evicted. Having said that, my sister did have a Yurt in a forest round Ullapool for a couple of years. I guess it comes down to the local planning enforcement officer, how busy he is, and whether any one bothers to complain to him about you. If you manage to stay in your eco-home for (eight?) years without notice, you count as an established use and can stay.

Edit: to try and answer your question more fully.

Edited by Timm

HOLA443
You need planning. You won't get it. So you'll get evicted.

Ask Buying Bear if this is fair; he'll be along in a bit.

I think it's clear from my post that I am aware of this. The question is if I just go ahead and do it what are the chances that I would be discovered and brought to task, who would find me and what steps would they take?

HOLA444
I can buy 7 acres of woodland in prime surrey countryside. Sounds like heaven, and only £55k.

Woodland for sale

I could build myself an eco home deep in there, with it's own generator, water tank etc. Even a big caravan would do.

What are the chances that I would be asked to move on? Is anyone responsible for inspections etc?

You would need planning permission, which would not be forthcoming. If you remained, and decided into, you would enter into a legal process in which the responsible authority tried to chuck you off, and you tried to prove that you had a good reason for being there. You would need to prove that:

(a) You had to be there (for woodlands, I think that the only reason is that you'd need to monitor the charcoal which you were making);

(B) And you could live off the woodland, e.g. by making charcoal, furniture, foraging, selling wood.

You can search for Ben Law for an example,

Peter.

HOLA445

Woodland for sale

You could build a treehouse! That would be ace :)

I dimly remember there being a program on the TV about a warden of a wood who built a treehouse to live in and he was allowed to do it. Can't remember the ins and outs I'm afraid... will look into it and get back to you.

HOLA446
I think it's clear from my post that I am aware of this. The question is if I just go ahead and do it what are the chances that I would be discovered and brought to task, who would find me and what steps would they take?

the TV licence van will spot you and you'll have them at your caravan door while you watch Deal or no Deal.

HOLA447
HOLA448
Guest Skint Academic

I had this idea myself a little while ago but realised that we couldn't afford to buy a caravan, yet alone a field to park it in. We have absolutely no assets. That's why we're moving to Germany to live in my parent's holiday / retirement home. We just cannot afford to live in Britain anymore.

HOLA449
I had this idea myself a little while ago but realised that we couldn't afford to buy a caravan, yet alone a field to park it in. We have absolutely no assets. That's why we're moving to Germany to live in my parent's holiday / retirement home. We just cannot afford to live in Britain anymore.

You could live in a tent in exclusive Oxfordshire! [see other thread....]

Best of luck, it will be great to live in a country that is run for the benefit of its citizens rather than the top 5% as in the UK.

HOLA4410

I would think that it's quite likely you'd be found, since I would expect that lots of people will use the woods, perhaps even your bit. They would report you to the council and then the whole planning dispute would start.

If you and your dwelling could remain unreported for long enough - for 4 years I believe - then you get planning permission,

Peter.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Guest casaloco

It's an interesting point. If you could put a secure fence around the woodland and a secure gate at your access point, assuming you could conceal the caravan/house, I'm not sure who would even notice you are there.

The hard part would be finding large enough area of woodland with no right-of-way (footpaths, bridleways etc) accross it. Then you'de have to sneak the caravan in without anyone noticing. (Or build the house without anyone noticing!) You'de also need to make your own provision for water, drainage and sewerage.

You'de also need to conceal the house/caravan from view so that people outside the woods couldn't see it, even from a distance in the winter when the tree are bare. I suppose this wouldn't be hard... you just dig a 4ft deep hole with a retaining wall around the outside and set the caravan into it, then paint everything above the ground level in camo paint and put up camo nets around the outside until you can grow enough brush/hedgerow around to hide it year round.

Thinking about it, probably the hardest part would be arranging water and sewerage.

HOLA4413
I would think that it's quite likely you'd be found, since I would expect that lots of people will use the woods, perhaps even your bit. They would report you to the council and then the whole planning dispute would start.

If you and your dwelling could remain unreported for long enough - for 4 years I believe - then you get planning permission,

Peter.

There is a bridle path along the edge of the property, but surely I could fence it off so nobody could get near the lair at its centre? I don't think people have the right to trudge through private woods, do they? are they not restricted to certain rights of way?

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
I dimly remember there being a program on the TV about a warden of a wood who built a treehouse to live in and he was allowed to do it. Can't remember the ins and outs I'm afraid... will look into it and get back to you.

It was on Grand Designs. The guy was a charcoal-maker by trade; he lived in the woodland and managed it himself, copicing the trees, burning them and selling the charcoal. It was a great show actually; he was a really nice guy. And he ended up finding a wife as a result of it! :)

The council put him through hell, as I recall, but he did finally manage to get everything approved. It was a serious project, though, not just a tree-house.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
If the property was secured with a fence and locked gate, could the authorities demand access to see what you are doing?

Probably, if the land doesn't belong to you. But surely there must be some sort of "squatters rights" that apply?

As a bear, though, don't you think people might get suspicious about what you're doing in the woods? :unsure:

...edited: of course, it would help if I'd read the original post properly and realised you were proposing buying the woodland yourself. In which case, you're probably in an even worse position than if you didn't own it at all. But presumably you'd have to pay cash - or are banks so desperate that they'll secure a mortgage on a few trees now? :)

Edited by benj

HOLA4422
You could build a treehouse! That would be ace :)

It was Grand Designs. The guy was a woodsman who made charcoal which required him to be on site at all times, so he got special permission to build a dwelling there. However, he wasn't allowed to sell it. He could pass it on to one of his children as long as they took over the business.

There was also another episode where someone got permission to build in a site close to woodland on the grounds that they'd lived in an outbuilding on the site for something like 15 years without complaint.

HOLA4423
There is a bridle path along the edge of the property, but surely I could fence it off so nobody could get near the lair at its centre? I don't think people have the right to trudge through private woods, do they? are they not restricted to certain rights of way?

You could fence it off, I suppose, but that would rather advertize your presence.

I expect that people are meant to keep to the paths, but they probably don't. And if you're always around telling them off, they might become a bit suspicious,

Peter.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425