House Price Crash Forum

Why Are Flats For Over 55s So Much Cheaper?

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Must admit I've noticed this in the past - warden assisted flats for retirees are often cheaper to buy than an equivalent "normal" flat would be.

I presume that the ground charges/maintenance fees pay for the warden over time and ongoing so that's not a major price factor.

However more recently I've noticed a trend for this to be actually the other way around in some cases: retirement flats which are grossly overpriced relative to comparables.

I'd put this down to the developer eyeing up the 550k four bed detached that's being sold to trade down, and figuring that the retirees could afford to part with, say, 250k and have 300k left. So the retirement flat is priced at 250k irrespective of "comparable market value".

There's one development in Harlow like this, but those flats have now been reduced to circa 195 from 250, and they're still pretty poor value and not all sold.

HOLA445
HOLA446
Is it fair that over 55s can buy a flat (retirement appartment) so much cheaper than FTBs?

I've noticed that too. Could it be because they come with much shorter leaseholds? (thats not a pi$$ take btw, its a practicality)

HOLA447
it might not be fair, but they are cheaper coz they have very limited market appeal.

Funny, I was going to make a post on this matter last week, but didn't bother. It's odd that the boomers who have something like 90% of the assets in the UK can go and buy a flat at a discount in one of these developments.

Why can't we have similar under 35s, no BTLs built?

HOLA448
HOLA449
Funny, I was going to make a post on this matter last week, but didn't bother. It's odd that the boomers who have something like 90% of the assets in the UK can go and buy a flat at a discount in one of these developments.

Why can't we have similar under 35s, no BTLs built?

I think it's all about the fantasy landlord scenario.

Many amateur BTL landlords (especially the guy that used to cut my hair, who ended up renting to a dole-ite who trashed the place) buy their executive apartments (etc) expecting to rent them out to doctors and lawyers for a big profit. This is part of the egotistical landlord fantasy.

Speculating on properties to rent out to an old person just doesn't have the same cachet when showing off about your portfolio in the pub. It seems to low-down not-easy money, non-qudos inspiring.

HOLA4410
Must admit I've noticed this in the past - warden assisted flats for retirees are often cheaper to buy than an equivalent "normal" flat would be.

I presume that the ground charges/maintenance fees pay for the warden over time and ongoing so that's not a major price factor.

However more recently I've noticed a trend for this to be actually the other way around in some cases: retirement flats which are grossly overpriced relative to comparables.

I'd put this down to the developer eyeing up the 550k four bed detached that's being sold to trade down, and figuring that the retirees could afford to part with, say, 250k and have 300k left. So the retirement flat is priced at 250k irrespective of "comparable market value".

There's one development in Harlow like this, but those flats have now been reduced to circa 195 from 250, and they're still pretty poor value and not all sold.

Totally off-topic here but can I ask where you got your avatar of the balding skinny bloke with birdshti in his hair? Laugh everytime i see that.

HOLA4411

I've notice that flats for over 55s are about 30 to 40% % cheaper in Bristol. The maintenance charges are often about twice as much - however, this doesn't explain the price differential.

I think it's a supply and demand issue - there's a glut because in a rising market so many over 55s delay downsizing to maximise the money they make.

HOLA4412
I've notice that flats for over 55s are about 30 to 40% % cheaper in Bristol. The maintenance charges are often about twice as much - however, this doesn't explain the price differential.

I think it's a supply and demand issue - there's a glut because in a rising market so many over 55s delay downsizing to maximise the money they make.

I say again, have you checked the length of the leaseholds?

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
I say again, have you checked the length of the leaseholds?

I'm pretty sure that is nothing to do with it. If you take any product and make it a condition of sale (and resale) that only the over 55s are allowed to buy it, of course it will be cheaper. Most of the demand for this size of property will come from young people, but there are restrictive covenants in the lease that only permit sale to an over 55 (and I would imagine that renting it out to under 55s is also banned).

I don't think you could get round it either as all the old b*stards would be freaking out if a young person appeared.

Don't know what their problem is though - my mum lives next door (about 30 yards away) from an old dear. She is as deaf as a post and has her TV cranked up to the max so that my mum can hear it when she is inside her own (detached) house! :lol:

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
I've noticed this too. Some very desirable properties selling for way below their market value but only the over 55's are eligible, usually warden controlled. I presume they're short lease - you never get something for nothing especially where property is concerned.

they are cheap because:

- the pool of people who can buy them is restricted

- there are extra charges paid for the warden etc.

- for most people it would feel like giving up and admitting you are elderly and incapable

- everyone around you would be dying

- the place probably smells of piss