House Price Crash Forum

Landlord Has Numerous Btls In Se London

HOLA441

Clever landlord

Tracing ex-landlord

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can anyone help - I am running out of ideas! Basically, nearly 3 years ago we moved out of our old flat and the landlord kept the deposit. I got a CCJ against him, but before the baliffs could go round he moved flat (he had been living in a housing association property despite having numerous BTLs in SE London ) The first time the baliff went round he pretended to be his own brother and said he'd gone abroad! By the time I could get the baliff to go round again he'd been re-housed (the HA were knocking down his old flats). Since then I've been trying to trace him but have failed. The address he gave us on our tenancy agreement belonged to his girlfriend and has now been sold. We also found out that our flat had been 'sold' for a knockdown price to his girlfirend halfway through our tenancy while we were living there (not that he told us this...). Needless to say he was still collecting our rent. She has since sold the flat to his daughter. Sounds like a big tax evasion scam that, if all else fails, I will report to the IR. However, I'd still like my money back! If anyone can think how to trace him I'd be grateful...

I have never heard that before someone living in social housing and BTL'ing at the same time! and selling it around and probably one of them has now moved in claiming housing benefit to pay other one's mortgage. Give credit where it’s due well done to them, good executed plan! Family & Co rip off Ltd at its best :P

HOLA442
HOLA443

On a similar vein, I recently had to get my recently deceased mothers house valued for probate.

I used a local estate agent who sent round one of the girls from the office.

She had the brass balls to admit to me that despite owning 3 BTL properties, she avails herself of a 3-bed council flat for her and her sprogs (no dad(s)). When I asked her if the felt she was denying someone who really needed a council property, she looked at me as if I'd just asked her to strip off and dance for me... Her answer was "The P4kis and W*gs have been doin' it for years - why shouldn't I?"

Honestly felt like decking the b!tch. :angry:

Suffice to say a call to the local council has been made. :P:P

HOLA444

I've seen how the local concils work - they will make copies of your letter in triplicate and file in alpha centura - i.e. they will do nothing for fear of attracting negative attention, i.e. poor single mum or I hope they don't look too closely at the councillors BTL portfolios.

They are all at it - no one is going to rock the boat.

HAL

HOLA445
On a similar vein, I recently had to get my recently deceased mothers house valued for probate.

She had the brass balls to admit to me that despite owning 3 BTL properties, she avails herself of a 3-bed council flat for her and her sprogs (no dad(s)). When I asked her if the felt she was denying someone who really needed a council property, she looked at me as if I'd just asked her to strip off and dance for me... Her answer was "The P4kis and W*gs have been doin' it for years - why shouldn't I?"

Loathsome as it is, this is what the Daily Mail is for... give them a call!

HOLA446

Hang on a mo....... you nicked my avatar....how very much dare you rant.gif

Edited by Catch22

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
I've seen how the local concils work - they will make copies of your letter in triplicate and file in alpha centura - i.e. they will do nothing for fear of attracting negative attention, i.e. poor single mum or I hope they don't look too closely at the councillors BTL portfolios.

They are all at it - no one is going to rock the boat.

HAL

I agree if you want to make a fuss phone the mail. Nothing will happen.

HOLA4410

Why not try the Inland Revenue as well?

HOLA4411

Why not try the Inland Revenue as well?

HOLA4412
I agree if you want to make a fuss phone the mail. Nothing will happen.

Nothing will happen, but thats because what people do and what they say they will do on a forum are 2 different things. Nothing will happen because no one will actually phone the Mail or call the council. BUt actually, if you did grass someone up you'll find that you'll be taken very seriously, it is more embarrassing for a council to be caught supplying a house to someone who already ahs one that to be accused of turfing out a single mum. Any Sun reader knows just how much the hard working Brits amongst us despise spongers. IF you see it, report it, if you dont then you have no right to complain, there are enough whingers as it is...

HOLA4413
Nothing will happen, but thats because what people do and what they say they will do on a forum are 2 different things. Nothing will happen because no one will actually phone the Mail or call the council. BUt actually, if you did grass someone up you'll find that you'll be taken very seriously, it is more embarrassing for a council to be caught supplying a house to someone who already ahs one that to be accused of turfing out a single mum. Any Sun reader knows just how much the hard working Brits amongst us despise spongers. IF you see it, report it, if you dont then you have no right to complain, there are enough whingers as it is...

On the contrary, I would have no hesitation in reporting wrongdoers/spongers to the council, taxman or even the police!

HOLA4414

Orbital - your comments have spurred me further...

Spoke to HMRC about 30 minutes ago - they told me to forward details of the individual concerned, they'd pass it on to their investigations dept. The guy said they can simply check whether the individual concerned has done any SA Tax Returns in the last few years. If not, it may be taken further.

As far as the Council was concerned, they wanted documentary evidence that she had BTL properties. I suggested a Land Registry check, or possibly speak to HMRC. They said they didn't have time to pursue 'spurious' claims against council tenants. When I explained that the person concerned was abusing their 'right' to a council property and it was the Council's responsibility under Local Government legislation to prevent financial loss to the community arising from abuse of council property, I think the officious pen-pushing tw*t got the message that I was prepared to take it further. :angry:

Can't stand the Daily Mule personally - might be worth a call though... ;)

HOLA4415

Spoke to HMRC about 30 minutes ago - they told me to forward details of the individual concerned, they'd pass it on to their investigations dept. The guy said they can simply check whether the individual concerned has done any SA Tax Returns in the last few years. If not, it may be taken further.

As far as the Council was concerned, they wanted documentary evidence that she had BTL properties. I suggested a Land Registry check, or possibly speak to HMRC. They said they didn't have time to pursue 'spurious' claims against council tenants. When I explained that the person concerned was abusing their 'right' to a council property and it was the Council's responsibility under Local Government legislation to prevent financial loss to the community arising from abuse of council property, I think the officious pen-pushing tw*t got the message that I was prepared to take it further. :angry:

Can legal action be taken against them? Maybe a class action by all the people on the council housing waiting list in that area!

:ph34r:

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

If you can't stand the Mail, try your local paper. Doubtless the Sun or Mail will pick it up within a week, though. And it might perk up a bored local hack who would otherwise have to report on the local street tidiness awardzzzzzzzzz

HOLA4418

Well worth a call to a newspaper. It seems to me as though the council official put the phone down and went back to staring vacantly into space.

HOLA4419
Clever landlord

I have never heard that before someone living in social housing and BTL'ing at the same time! and selling it around and probably one of them has now moved in claiming housing benefit to pay other one's mortgage. Give credit where it’s due well done to them, good executed plan! Family & Co rip off Ltd at its best :P

Can't you just lift a proportionate amount of property (carpets, sink, taps, bulbs, door handles) and be sure to leave him (or her) a little captains log in the freezer!